Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

15 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

I enjoyed that review, and it did assist in appreciating the film a bit more.  Yeah, too bad about the poor man's Tom Hardy.  

ETA:  Holy shit, did not even realize that was Guy Pearce in another role.  Now I'm even more confused thinking I saw a version yesterday that as very much not the director's cut.  

A big question I have:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure what we're supposed to make of the opening scene with the drinking of the poison while the ship takes off on both fronts.  A suicide / sacrifice of some kind but to what end?  And is the ship headed for Earth to create man or something?

I took that as they were on Earth, and that Engineer was sacrificing itself to create mankind.   

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The second half of Legion S2 is waiting on my DVR but I cannot muster the interest to watch.  I may have to call it quits on this show, even though I loved S1. 

The plot does get a bit more focused towards the end of the season, although I'm not sure whether it would be enough to change your opinion.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Enjoyed the first two episodes of Castle Rock, although I have to say that old man Alan Pangborn is nothing like how I would have pictured him.  

Thought the same thing.

Also two episodes in, so far:

Spoiler

I've noticed references/call backs/returns to Shawshank prison (of course) and Castle Rock is the town the kids from Stand By Me were from, Lacy even mentions the body of the kid found near the railroad tracks, but supposedly in the movie Castle Rock was set in Oregon though? Jane Levy's character's name is Jackie Torrence (Nicholson's character in The Shining was Jack Torrence) interested to see if that has any more to it than just a name drop. Rabid dog terrorizing town was Cujo. While not references per se, Sissy Spacek plays a character in the show and she also played Carrie in Carrie and Bill Skarsgard was Pennywise in It. Interested if at any point the town of Derry is mentioned or someone actually goes there.

Just watched the first episode of season 6 of Orange is the New Black. While definitely not the powerhouse dramedy it was in seasons 1 & 2 I still find this show very entertaining and very much enjoyed this first of the new episodes.

2 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Thought the same thing.

Also two episodes in, so far:

Hide contents

I've noticed references/call backs/returns to Shawshank prison (of course) and Castle Rock is the town the kids from Stand By Me were from, Lacy even mentions the body of the kid found near the railroad tracks, but supposedly in the movie Castle Rock was set in Oregon though? Jane Levy's character's name is Jackie Torrence (Nicholson's character in The Shining was Jack Torrence) interested to see if that has any more to it than just a name drop. Rabid dog terrorizing town was Cujo. While not references per se, Sissy Spacek plays a character in the show and she also played Carrie in Carrie and Bill Skarsgard was Pennywise in It. Interested if at any point the town of Derry is mentioned or someone actually goes there.

At first, given how the book ends, I assumed Needful Things was not canon for this show, but based on the newspaper article about Leland Gaunt going missing, it appears I was wrong.  I guess those events probably fucked up Pangborn pretty badly, which led to his current state.  I think one of the other articles referenced The Dead Zone as well, and there was probably a Dark Half reference too but I never read that one.

As for Derry, it shows up on the map in the opening credits I think.

3 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Dang, there's another interesting rabbit hole on Prometheus where they unearthed a draft of the script that explains quite a bit of stuff.

I glossed over two articles I found online, and I'm not sure if the changes would have made it better, but it would have been more clear cut and easier to understand for audiences. The film as it stands has some odd developments that can confuse an audience, especially if one gets up to go to the bathroom midway through the film.

Unrelated, goal for the weekend is to watch two movies I've yet to see, though I haven't decided which ones to watch. I'm thinking one old and one new. Also, I've watched the first few episodes of Black Mirror now, and I'm not sure how I feel. Is this show worth watching beginning to end like a typical show or just pick and choose the best episodes much like you can do with the Twilight Zone (even though there's no need to do that as there are only a few bad episodes)? 

54 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Unrelated, goal for the weekend is to watch two movies I've yet to see, though I haven't decided which ones to watch. I'm thinking one old and one new. Also, I've watched the first few episodes of Black Mirror now, and I'm not sure how I feel. Is this show worth watching beginning to end like a typical show or just pick and choose the best episodes much like you can do with the Twilight Zone (even though there's no need to do that as there are only a few bad episodes)? 

Watch them all. You certainly don’t need to, and there’s only minor Easter eggs connecting some of the episodes, but it’s impossible to really know which ones you’ll like and don’t like without just watching for yourself. Although, there’s a few that are generally considered some of the best episodes (San Junipero, White Christmas, Hang the DJ). The Waldo Moment is most people’s least favorite. 

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Watch them all. You certainly don’t need to, and there’s only minor Easter eggs connecting some of the episodes, but it’s impossible to really know which ones you’ll like and don’t like without just watching for yourself. Although, there’s a few that are generally considered some of the best episodes (San Junipero, White Christmas, Hang the DJ). The Waldo Moment is most people’s least favorite. 

Which episode is the one with the people pedaling the bikes? That's my favorite.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, Triskjavikson said:

I watched Prometheus for the first time today (yes, way late).  Did not love it.  Felt like it flirted with a lot of cool stuff but was too shallow with all of it.  

I saw it opening weekend.  I was not... I was just 'not'.

Related: I started getting into the novelizations of the Alien films.  Ive never given motion picture novelizations much thought before but they're pretty good if you're into science fiction novels.  Alien 3 is much better as a book.

I still don't get the Black Mirror love. I watched a few and dumped it then picked it up again and watched most of the episodes and just couldn't get into them. Must just be me because a lot of people on here who seem to have similar tastes in shows love it..

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I still don't get the Black Mirror love. I watched a few and dumped it then picked it up again and watched most of the episodes and just couldn't get into them. Must just be me because a lot of people on here who seem to have similar tastes in shows love it..

I liked them but didn’t love them and dropped it after five or six episodes.  The exaggerated dystopia just got too negative. It feels more like self-flagellation and wallowing than entertainment or insight, but the underlying message isn’t new and has been done better in print already (IMO).  Each episode takes a current fear and magnifies it to ridiculous proportions, which felt clever until it felt empty and repetitive.  I know a lot of SF is used to warn us about something wrong in our world today, but this lacked hope or nuance or realism or depth.  But I’ll acknowledge that it’s really well suited to the current culture of anxiety and ennui.

38 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I liked them but didn’t love them and dropped it after five or six episodes.  The exaggerated dystopia just got too negative. It feels more like self-flagellation and wallowing than entertainment or insight, but the underlying message isn’t new and has been done better in print already (IMO).  Each episode takes a current fear and magnifies it to ridiculous proportions, which felt clever until it felt empty and repetitive.  I know a lot of SF is used to warn us about something wrong in our world today, but this lacked hope or nuance or realism or depth.  But I’ll acknowledge that it’s really well suited to the current culture of anxiety and ennui.

I think I expected the level of what I remember The Twilight Zone being and it didn't deliver on it. Now, I had a disclaimer in this statement, "how I remember", ....I was a lot younger and saw it well after it was in syndication but I remember it being more frightening and/or creepy?

30 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

I can certainly understand the bleakness criticism when it comes to Black Mirror.  Most of the episodes are.  I guess I just find it thought-provoking and typically well-executed.  Agree with Nictarion on some of the best episodes and the worst one.  

I guess I liked Prometheus more than I thought as I really got pulled down the rabbit hole of some of these youtube analyses.  The Peter Weyland TED talk was such a great scene.  Can't believe it wasn't part of the film.

I am now giving Alien a shot.  Yes, for the first time ever.  

You never saw the original Alien!?! You're in for a treat!

Saw the new Mission Impossible today. If you liked Rogue Nation, you'll probably like this. Very entertaining with insane stunts. Tom Cruise must be slurping from the tap of thetans as I have no idea how he's able to do these stunts in his mid-50s.

went to see Mission Impossible --aka Tom Cruise running-- yesterday.... it makes Fast & the Furious seem physics-plausible., and it turns the  OJ Simpson accident scene in Naked Gun. into an action flick.... evrything that can go wrong, does go wrong.... I was half- expecting them to step into a bear trap and get wet paint on their jackets...  The Baudelaire children are fortunate by comparison... but at this point calling them Mission improbable would seem like hyperbole.... it's more like Mission guaranteed via a series of unfortunate events.... If you want absurd stunts fights, car chases, and shoot outs... this is your flick... if you require any tether to believably.... nah... 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

went to see Mission Impossible --aka Tom Cruise running-- yesterday.... it makes Fast & the Furious seem physics-plausible., and it turns the  OJ Simpson accident scene in Naked Gun. into an action flick.... evrything that can go wrong, does go wrong.... I was half- expecting them to step into a bear trap and get wet paint on their jackets...  The Baudelaire children are fortunate by comparison... but at this point calling them Mission improbable would seem like hyperbole.... it's more like Mission guaranteed via a series of unfortunate events.... If you want absurd stunts fights, car chases, and shoot outs... this is your flick... if you require any tether to believably.... nah... 

So in other words a good summer popcorn flick? 

Archived