Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

Watched Tag today at the movies. Tell you what, it was funnier than I expected. It is just a light hearted comedy, that goes to some really, really dark places, about a group of guys who are life long friends. It's based on a true story strangely enough, a group of guys who started playing tag as kids and have continued it for like 30+ years. Even show some home video clips of them doing it at the end. Don't get me wrong this is not a great movie with great writing, it has a solid cast and damn if the whole theater wasn't laughing a lot. Maybe hearing others laughing so much sways my opinion IDK but I enjoyed it.

Watched American Made, which I thought was pretty good. It’s based on a true story about pilot Barry Seal who ran guns for the CIA and drugs for the Medellin cartel in the 80’s. Interesting story, especially if you’re into that kind of stuff (Narcos, Cocaine Cowboys, etc). It’s directed by Doug Liman who seems to get the best out of Tom Cruise these days (he also directed Edge of Tomorrow). 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:53 AM, Los Ticos Mexal said:

Future Man is great. It's my wife's favorite show. I thought it was massively entertaining.

I ended up binging it this weekend and it was really fun.  Wolf was fantastic throughout.  Really enjoyed both his and Tiger's story arcs.

Just watched Red Dragon, for some reason.  Maybe I'm a masochist but I remember getting really into Harris' books and even Manhunter (the Brian Cox Lecter) as a kid, so I tried it.  Gotta say, I have a hard time watching Ed Norton these days without thinking he rewrote the script to make himself seem even more awesome than he was supposed to be.  He should sue Marvel, I think he has a case.  I'd even bear witness, but only if Norton rewrites my testimony.

The last Transformers movie is available on Amazon Prime, so I watched it over the course of 3 nights, because it was so godawful, I couldn't watch it straight up. Michael Bay didn't even try with this one. Even the explosions sucked.

4 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

The last Transformers movie is available on Amazon Prime, so I watched it over the course of 3 nights, because it was so godawful, I couldn't watch it straight up. Michael Bay didn't even try with this one. Even the explosions sucked.

Is that the one with Anthony Hopkins? I didn’t watch it but remember seeing him in the trailer and being disappointed

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I ended up binging it this weekend and it was really fun.  Wolf was fantastic throughout.  Really enjoyed both his and Tiger's story arcs.

The 80s episode with Wolf is probably one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I laughed non stop throughout.

Transatlantic flight last week let me catch up on some films. The Disaster Artist was as bizzare and as entertaining as expected. Terrific performance from James Franco.

I caught the premiere of Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone, starring Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly :drool:. I liked it. Some standard tropes and plot devices, but it worked for me. Doesn't hurt being filmed in a beautiful location.

34 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I caught the premiere of Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone, starring Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly :drool:. I liked it. Some standard tropes and plot devices, but it worked for me. Doesn't hurt being filmed in a beautiful location.

I forgot that came out today. Good call.

16 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Watched Mother! last night...wow.

What did you think? It was insane, heavy handed and batshit crazy but I liked it. 

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I forgot that came out today. Good call.

What did you think? It was insane, heavy handed and batshit crazy but I liked it. 

I thought it was excellent and didn’t really find it heavy handed at all. I mean - it’s not as mysterious as some might say and certainly has some clear metaphors but I think the whole last 20 minutes or so really affected me. It was really well made and deeply shocking in a couple of places. I didn’t find it scary - but definitely unsettling and loved how it turned from claustrophobic home invasion to full on Biblical madness. 

I felt it was like watching a Heironymus Bosch painting burn and move before my eyes. 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

That’s good to hear. I have this waiting on the DVR. I’ve seen a couple bad reviews so far. I absolutely love Sheridan’s Frontier Trilogy (Soldado in 1 week!), so I’m really hopeful for this series. 

Continuing my leftovers binge. It's a shame the threads for it appear locked as I'd post there.

Season 2 opened with the biggest WTF I can recall for a long time with the totally different opening (and inferior to S1) and what until the half way mark felt like I may accidentally be watching a new show. What I loved was how intentional all of this was especially with episode 2's brilliant line of "you're wondering whether you're a guest in their story rather than them being guests in yours"

Excellent stuff and brave TV

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

Continuing my leftovers binge. It's a shame the threads for it appear locked as I'd post there.

Season 2 opened with the biggest WTF I can recall for a long time with the totally different opening (and inferior to S1) and what until the half way mark felt like I may accidentally be watching a new show. What I loved was how intentional all of this was especially with episode 2's brilliant line of "you're wondering whether you're a guest in their story rather than them being guests in yours"

Excellent stuff and brave TV

The change in opening was a vast improvement. Iris Dement's Let The Mystery Be  was a perfect choice for the series.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

The change in opening was a vast improvement. Iris Dement's Let The Mystery Be  was a perfect choice for the series.

The lyrics do fit but I'm a huge max Richter fan and liked the moving church figures from season 1. Thematically the season 2 titles work and who knows I may grow to love it. Not sure I can think of a show with such a dramatic change in title sequences beyond anime which does so on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

@red snow where do you watch the Leftovers? It’s been on my radar for a while but never got round to it

It's on nowtv at the moment in box sets. It didn't used to be so im making the most of it while subscribed for Westworld.

Archived