Disscusion on the Golden Company

norwaywolf123

Thread:

Post interesting passages from the books if you wish. Also tell why the passage is interesting.

Ask questions related to the Golden Company. Perhaps someone knows something another don't. Maybe we can also piece together some facts or atleast speculations about he Golden Company. 

Questions: (Some questions may be related)

1. How does the Golden Company replenish it's ranks?

2. Do the men of the Golden Company have families?

3. Where are the families of the members of the Golden Company? Do they follow the Golden Company? Are they concentrated in a settlement, some settlements or are they more spread out over Essos?

4. What do the familiy member of Golden Company men do? Do they have jobs?

5. Do the Golden Company practice intermarriage between their families?

6. Is it common for Essosi to marry into or join the Golden Company?

Links:

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Company

There are many sources to fill the ranks.  Fighting men who are down on their luck.  Young men with little options (bastards) and a taste for adventure.  Fit and able men who can't find a job.  Their occupation make the management of a nuclear family rather difficult.  The men bed women wherever the company takes them and leaves behind many illegits.   I suppose many women follow the company and do odd tasks to support the fighting men.  

On 5/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, norwaywolf123 said:

Thread:

Post interesting passages from the books if you wish. Also tell why the passage is interesting.

Ask questions related to the Golden Company. Perhaps someone knows something another don't. Maybe we can also piece together some facts or atleast speculations about he Golden Company. 

Questions: (Some questions may be related)

1. How does the Golden Company replenish it's ranks?

2. Do the men of the Golden Company have families?

3. Where are the families of the members of the Golden Company? Do they follow the Golden Company? Are they concentrated in a settlement, some settlements or are they more spread out over Essos?

4. What do the familiy member of Golden Company men do? Do they have jobs?

5. Do the Golden Company practice intermarriage between their families?

6. Is it common for Essosi to marry into or join the Golden Company?

Links:

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Company

1)its ranks are largely replenished by native essosi and to a much much  lesser extent westerosi exiles ,its just the upper leadership thats largely all westerosi with a set longterm goal

2)id imagine some of them yes

3)most would prob  be in free cities where their men in the gc provide for them 

4)wives of officers  take them?  probably not....mistresses and the bastards produced is another story

5) prob happens but not forced

6) the vast majority of the company are all essosi trained and armed in a mix of westerosi and essos warfare ,its just the very upper leadership thats all largely weaterosi exiles with a set agenda.....that said they do seem to have some non westerosi officers who probably are on board with the overall plan and are promised land in westeros or just loot

17 hours ago, Frey Kings said:

The GC of now is a standard sellsword company but with a better repetition than their competitors. They're just another pawn. 

So they are not like a "wandering people", united by an idea and directed by a hierchy?

7 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

1)its ranks are largely replenished by native essosi and to a much much  lesser extent westerosi exiles ,its just the upper leadership thats largely all westerosi with a set longterm goal

Do you have Source for the claim that the Golden Company replenishes it's men with Essosi. From my reading i only remember one Essosi, the master of coin.

1 hour ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Do you have Source for the claim that the Golden Company replenishes it's men with Essosi. From my reading i only remember one Essosi, the master of coin.

Paymaster , their spymaster and the head of archers and im sure i read a few more non westerosi sounding names in the officers

No direct soucrce no but it stands to reason the rank and file thatl be mainly non westerosi as there wont be nearly enough exiles to make up a longtime active sellsword company of that sheer size

10 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Paymaster , their spymaster and the head of archers and im sure i read a few more non westerosi sounding names in the officers

Your right

10 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

No direct soucrce no but it stands to reason the rank and file thatl be mainly non westerosi as there wont be nearly enough exiles to make up a longtime active sellsword company of that sheer size

That is why i wondered if the men of the Golden Company marry and have families.

10 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

They started out that way.  A man gets older and he gets tired of fighting.  They want land and lordships now.  

But how much og the Golden Company is of Westerosi descent? Why should the non-Westerosi have any connection Westeros at all? Could not the Golden Company attempt to forge a feudal state in the Disputed Land?

5 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

But how much og the Golden Company is of Westerosi descent? Why should the non-Westerosi have any connection Westeros at all? Could not the Golden Company attempt to forge a feudal state in the Disputed Land?

They could try.  But all of a sudden they have all the expenses of governance, as well as paying their fighting men, and the enmity of several powerful, populous, and rich city-states all gunning for them.  Instead of asking "why not", ask "why".  What do the top members gain?  They now bear significant personal responsibility for the governance and upkeep of their new domain.  They gain a number of prominent enemies, all of whom are vastly more powerful than they are.  And they take on significant complication in terms of balancing the competing needs of their fellow soldiers who now need to be appeased with lands and titles.

Whereas, as a mercenary company, they have none of those responsibilities and risks, and still can earn significant coin while holding out for a potential return to Westeros.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:54 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

Its the leaders of the company who will get fat in Westeros.  The guys at the bottom only get what trickles down.  Forging a feudal state from scratch won't be easy.  Who will give them the land and which established state will recognize them as a kingdom?  It's been a long time since my Western Civ courses so I could be wrong on this but real world feudalism arose out of a need for law and order.   

1 hour ago, Bullrout said:

Its the leaders of the company who will get fat in Westeros.  The guys at the bottom only get what trickles down.  Forging a feudal state from scratch won't be easy.  Who will give them the land and which established state will recognize them as a kingdom?  It's been a long time since my Western Civ courses so I could be wrong on this but real world feudalism arose out of a need for law and order.   

This

Plus the main reason is they have no reason to try and forge one in essos (not that they could )  with all the headaches that entails when a lot of their leadership has ties and lands they feel they are owed in westeros

Archived