Jamie Foxx to Star in Spawn

Nictarion

Really looking forward to this. I’ve always loved me some Spawn, especially when Greg Capullo was drawing him in the 90’s. The HBO animated series was great, too. The movie was obviously horrible, but Todd McFarlane seems to be saying all the right things as far as this one being totally different.

https://www.inverse.com/article/45325-spawn-movie-jamie-foxx-cast-a-quiet-place

I like that he wants a much more low key horror movie rather than a big superhero blockbuster. Blumhouse should be a perfect fit. I know Foxx has wanted to play Al Simmons for years, so I’m glad he’s getting the chance. It can certainly work out well when an actor is passionate about a character (Ryan Reynolds with Deadpool). McFarlane being a first time director could be a concern, but this time around he’ll be in total control no matter how it turns out. 

Well I hope we get Baby Driver Foxx and not Amazing Spider-man Foxx as I've never been as offended by the portrayal of a comic-book character as his take on Electro (that includes Batman and Robin). It had the same level of disdain that Big Bang Theory's Leonard has for geeks. But Foxx can be great and given Paul Giamatti sucked in that film it was probably the director/screenwriter's fault.

Macfarlane as director? That would be risky. I could see it potentially working if he was working alongside an experienced director (like Frank Miller did) and I'm sure MacFarlane would work as a producer.

The thing is I've been hearing 6 monthly updates on how a new spawn film would be like "alien" where we hardly see spawn or like "Jaws" where he's just a background force of nature, etc, etc for well over a decade now. Comparisons to "quiet place" is just the latest in a long string of comparisons. I think the general tone from all these comparisons is an interesting way to go - there hasn't been a superhero film where the main character is in the background or potentially the villain. Jamie Foxx being attached may help the film pick up pace but I'd hope they get another director or at least surround MacFarlane with enough cinematographers, choreographers etc that it's hard to know where their input ends and MacFarlane's begins. Although that's probably the case with a lot of films these days.

Archived