Misdirections, Plots Twists, and Fake Outs.

Can you give an example of a confirmed misdirection and fake out in the novels?  If you can, please do.  Obviously, the fake out is confirmed when it turns out false and the unexpected happened instead.  

Let's consider a simple example, the identity of the valonqar.  Clues point to Tyrion and Jaime.  Yet many fans believe Martin is playing a game of misdirection and the valonqar is somebody like Sandor Clegane.  Bran Stark.  Arya Stark in disguise.  Edmure Tully.  In my opinion, Martin always precedes an event with careful set up.  To the best of my knowledge, there are no clues leading to any other brother outside of Tyrion and Jaime.   

Examine an event that has already taken place.  The red wedding.  Martin carefully precedes the event with painstaking set up.  We are told, Walder holds grudges, Bolton was undermining the Starks, Robb swears an oath to Walder, Robb breaks his oath.  The red wedding happens.  The red wedding was the effect at the end of a long chain of causes.  I do not see that kind of preparation for the valonqar to be anybody else but Jaime and Tyrion.  

Where to begin...

Ned’s death is a good one, it’s set up for him to take the black but instead he’s killed at the Sept of Baelor. Little finger betraying him also would probably fit.

Bran and Rickon’s “death” at the hands of Theon is another. I’ll just throw in all the faked deaths here, DavosX2, Arya, Brienne, etc.

Reek being Ramsey Bolton.

Sansa’s escape with Dontos and the purple wedding.

Oberin Martel’s death got me the first time around.

The Catspaw not being sent by Tyrion.

If you include Dunk and Egg then Plumm being Bloodraven needs to be mentioned, as well as the old man Chequey Lion being a Blackfyre supporter. 

Tysha not being a whore could be considered a twist. Most betrayals and characters dying/surviving could be seen as unlikely, but possible outcomes. Outcomes we fear/hope for, but real possibilities. Tysha not being a whore is a little different to me. 

The Freys into pies.  That's not really deception on the part of the author but something subtle.  Ned's death is to be expected given he was outplayed at every turn.  The RW was the conclusion to Robb's behavior.  

1 hour ago, 867-5309 said:

The Freys into pies.  That's not really deception on the part of the author but something subtle.  Ned's death is to be expected given he was outplayed at every turn.  The RW was the conclusion to Robb's behavior.  

That's hindsight, did you really see them coming like they happened on page? (And frey pie isn't confirmed yet, just a popular theory)

There is another option, set up the way you said for the valonqar. The Others go south and Bran (who is a little brother to Jon who is Valyrian) fires off the hammer of the waters thus choking life from her (kingdom) thus wrapping his hands (see weirwood powers, since they are shown to look like bloody hands) around her pale white neck ('cause it's winter)

As for confirmed, hmm there are always clues. And there are always clues pointing at other options, so it's difficult to think of one solid example as something that seems obvious to one person could be a shock to someone else. For me Jamie going back for Brienne. The dream had a bear mentioned sure, but I never saw anything that would have made me think she was in danger. What I saw was that he would die with her next to him. That should have made him want to stay away.

The hound saving Arya at the twins. With her mother and brother dead he knew she wasn't worth a ransom, that's why he didn't really try hard to get her to the Eyrie, and was happy to just live with her in some random town. So he saved her for personal reasons, with nothing to gain. I didn't see that coming.

Catelyn's shrewd deduction that Jaime and Cersei Lannister were responsible for Bran's "fall" and thus the attempt on Bran's life as well. She got the second part wrong twice - the next time was when Littlefinger suckered her into thinking the Lannister who did it was Tyrion. Finding out that Mad Prince Joffrey (the Worst of His Name) was actually responsible was a real surprise.

I'd still like to know the lineage of that dragonbone Valyrian steel knife, though.

Arya being seized by Yoren at her father's execution, hauled into an alleyway, and then he comes at her with a knife. We have to wait until "Clash of Kings" to find out he was just cutting her hair short, so she can better masquerade as another Night's Watch orphan boy.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Pycelle being a Lannister toady and how he basically allowed Jon Arryn to die under his watch because he thought Cersei was the one who poisoned him.

Ned thought he was acting like an obvious Lannister toady in the first book, although his involvement in Jon Arryn's death is another story.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

Syrio telling Arya he was swinging right when he really swung left 

Like the special snowflake... Everyone assumes he will end up with Daenerys or Val or some other babe, but he'll swing both ways and fall for Satin and his beautiful curls. 

Archived