UK Politics: Royal Weddings and Referendums

Yukle

32 minutes ago, Yukle said:

It's my guess that none of the other potential candidates want to be the ones who oversee Brexit, as it will be a permanent scar on their legacy to history.

It's probably true of some of them - George Osbourne certainly wasted no time in getting out of Parliament - but some of them are true believers in Brexit.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

It's probably true of some of them - George Osbourne certainly wasted no time in getting out of Parliament - but some of them are true believers in Brexit.

My favourite was Nigel Farage, who backpedaled on every single promise he made faster than his wife and children applied for EU passports through their German heritage.

If you'd told me even a week ago that the government's plan for dealing with EU residents was basically going to be 'it's fine, we're building an app'... well, I'd probably have believed you, because nothing is too moronically one-eyed for this government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44553225

Seriously, three million people and they're all going to have their self-uploaded details correlated with a massive government database. What could go wrong?

But he said there was an "an issue at the moment" with Apple device users, who will not be able to make use of this app, and instead will have to send in their passport to prove their identity.

Oh.

1 hour ago, La Albearceleste said:

If you'd told me even a week ago that the government's plan for dealing with EU residents was basically going to be 'it's fine, we're building an app'... well, I'd probably have believed you, because nothing is too moronically one-eyed for this government.

Seriously, three million people and they're all going to have their self-uploaded details correlated with a massive government database. What could go wrong?

Oh.

Hahahahahaha!

I half expected them to add: "There's also a problem with Android users. And for those still using the legacy Microsoft phone software, it doesn't work on that either."

On 6/17/2018 at 11:21 PM, Yukle said:

Is the BBC is in the same position as Australia's ABC? Every single criticism of the government now gets them a funding cut. :(

No, Tories probably complain about it being biased against them even more than lefties do. Political neutrality is not easy (without being disgracefully bland), and probably the best judge is being equally disliked by all sides (I'm very neutral by this measure). I would say it's a "small c" conservative body, generally opposed to any radical change, but also pro public sector. The other main bias is pro royal, but people don't care that much about that.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:25 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Who would have ever thought that sanctimonious teenager, William Hague, would one day become the champion of weed legalization?

I guess it's whether a spliff is worse than fourteen pints?

Very happy about the extra money going into the NHS. Remember, the Tories don't have many principles, put the pressure on and they bend every time. 

Taxation is always about what people are willing to pay, if they trust the money will be well used (and, universally, they usually don't). 

3 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

Oh.

Wow, I didn’t read the bit about the apple devices.  This is probably a tired old thing to say by now but this government’s efforts to promote its policies are genuinely like something out of a satirical comedy series, I’m sure I’ve seen this exact thing about an app on Twenty Twelve or something.  But it’s not the disasters so much as the crowing about the disasters.  Seriously guys, it’s literally two days since the “brexit dividend” and now you’re starting on these “three simple questions.”  I guess they figure when you’re drowning in bullshit at some point you’re going to start clinging to a turd.

8 hours ago, john said:

Wow, I didn’t read the bit about the apple devices.  This is probably a tired old thing to say by now but this government’s efforts to promote its policies are genuinely like something out of a satirical comedy series, I’m sure I’ve seen this exact thing about an app on Twenty Twelve or something.  But it’s not the disasters so much as the crowing about the disasters.  Seriously guys, it’s literally two days since the “brexit dividend” and now you’re starting on these “three simple questions.”  I guess they figure when you’re drowning in bullshit at some point you’re going to start clinging to a turd.

I  think the quote from The Trailer Park Boys is the one you are looking for. Something about climbing a shit rope and the more you squeeze the thinner it gets. 

Yeah that’s a good one, although I’m not sure it’s quite the same meaning I was trying to convey.  But I’m sure we can come up with some more.

- When you’re farming with grade A manure everything’s going to taste of shit.

- When you’re pitching a shitball the catcher’s bound to get shit on his mitt.

- ( and as Bear Grylls proved) A man dying of thirst is going to eventually drink the juice of a  shit squeezed through a piece of cloth.

Thats the British government guys.  Very good for shit metaphors.

Listened to a radio interview with an air industry bigwig in the wake of the Airbus announcement on the way home. (Immediately preceded by some Tory MP dismissing the announcement as a political stunt by Airbus.) The interviewer asked what sort of deadlines the air industry needed the government to meet, to plan for Brexit.

'All the deadlines have passed.'

'But... that means you're saying we're inevitably headed for some kind of car crash.'

'Yes. I am.'

So that's where we are, folks.

23 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Listened to a radio interview with an air industry bigwig in the wake of the Airbus announcement on the way home. (Immediately preceded by some Tory MP dismissing the announcement as a political stunt by Airbus.) The interviewer asked what sort of deadlines the air industry needed the government to meet, to plan for Brexit.

'All the deadlines have passed.'

'But... that means you're saying we're inevitably headed for some kind of car crash.'

'Yes. I am.'

So that's where we are, folks.

BMW also issued a brexit wqrnibg accordibg to BBC.

So our major high street chains are downsizing or going bust, our industries are jumping ship, and both fhe government and opposition are a shambles...

I have a good friend who's worked for Airbus for ten years. They've been asking the government with increasing urgency what their plans are because under the various Brexit scenarios, they're going to be running into some major problems in the supply chain. The car industry have been saying the same thing and the government has been utterly ignoring them.

The issue with Brexit is that everyone's treating it like a divorce when it's actually like separating conjoined twins who've been linked together at a biological level for 40 years, and separating them now without killing or at least seriously maiming the much weaker, smaller twin is extraordinarily difficult, verging on the impossible.

I skimmed the thread and didn't see any mention of the story I'm going to link. Is this getting any buzz in the UK?:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/britains-russia-collusion-scandal-looks-just-like-trumps.html

If the allegations are true, this is a pretty direct example of how Russians were funneling money through third parties to help the Leave campaign.

I was reading this story about the upcoming Heathrow vote and Boris' courageous decision to be out of the country at time:

Theresa May told reporters that Mr Johnson would be

“the living embodiment of global Britain” in an unspecified location while parliament was voting on the issue.

I'm finding it very difficult to comprehend that rather weird quote. I could probably think of some things Boris is the living embodiment of, but 'global Britain' wouldn't be high on the list.

The Foreign Office was unable to say where the foreign secretary would be or what he would be doing.

This quote, on the other hand, is one I have no problem believing.

I find I don't really have a strong opinion on Heathrow expansion, but there's obviously strong feeling on both sides. I am a bit surprised that Theresa May actually seems to be on the verge of actually making a decision about something, although I doubt that means we'll be seeing any leadership on Brexit issues anytime soon.

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I skimmed the thread and didn't see any mention of the story I'm going to link. Is this getting any buzz in the UK?:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/britains-russia-collusion-scandal-looks-just-like-trumps.html

If the allegations are true, this is a pretty direct example of how Russians were funneling money through third parties to help the Leave campaign.

It has got a fair bit of attention, although perhaps not as much as it should.

There have been various stories covering the Russian links to Leave.EU specifically and the Leave campaign in general, and it is getting some traction. But it's hard to see what effect knowing this will have, when the government are fixed on Brexit to an almost pathological degree and the opposition appear to disagree only on how it is to be implemented.

Just this morning we get this, for example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44575929

Senior Cabinet ministers have insisted the UK is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks without a deal, on the second anniversary of the vote.

Liam Fox said Theresa May was "not bluffing" over her threat to quit negotiations, while Boris Johnson called for a "full British Brexit".

'Full British Brexit'. He was up all night coming up with that one, wasn't he? And we're really not bluffing, we will walk right off this cliff and then you'll all be sorry!

Aron Banks is pond scum, by the way. Always has been.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

The issue with Brexit is that everyone's treating it like a divorce when it's actually like separating conjoined twins who've been linked together at a biological level for 40 years, and separating them now without killing or at least seriously maiming the much weaker, smaller twin is extraordinarily difficult, verging on the impossible. 

I think in many cases, including Boris Johnson, people are fully aware that it's an amputation but think that Britain is the more powerful partner in the scenario that is only being held back from returing to the Glory of the British Empire by the EU.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'm finding it very difficult to comprehend that rather weird quote. I could probably think of some things Boris is the living embodiment of, but 'global Britain' wouldn't be high on the list.

I think you just witnessed May's very dry humour. Global Britain is this marvellous unicorn land hidden behind a rainbow of awesomeness for post Brexit Britain. And just like BoJo nobody knows where it is.

Edit: As for the not so breaking news about Airbus. That was utterly predictable, was predicted a good while ago. We even touched this issue in some older Brexit/British politics thread here, I think.

4 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

There have been various stories covering the Russian links to Leave.EU specifically and the Leave campaign in general, and it is getting some traction. But it's hard to see what effect knowing this will have, when the government are fixed on Brexit to an almost pathological degree and the opposition appear to disagree only on how it is to be implemented.

Just this morning we get this, for example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44575929

'Full British Brexit'. He was up all night coming up with that one, wasn't he? And we're really not bluffing, we will walk right off this cliff and then you'll all be sorry!

Aron Banks is pond scum, by the way. Always has been.

Whatever government we elect, they would have to be putting a lot of focus on Brexit. It isn't like public opinion isn't also focused on it, in whichever direction. I believe in the sovereignty of parliament, but unfortunately I don't trust a lot of MPs, I think they are just trying to sabotage Brexit for their own ends, and even worse some of these MPs are in the governing party. 

I hope everyone who identifies with the political left is concerned about big international corporations trying to determine our politics, and not just supporting the corporations because it's useful to them on this occasion. Obviously, we need to consider any real issues about trade and preserving jobs, but we can't let them bully us- because if we do, they will. 

Well I certainly don't trust the current Tory Cabinet. Given the total power to choose our Brexit, I think it near certain that they will either choose a disastrous "no deal" crash out (if only out or sheer incompetence / brinkmanship), or one that cements in advantages for "big international corporations" with the discarding of consumer protections and human rights. I hope everyone who identifies with the political left would be concerned about that,

At least giving MPs a veto might serve to keep the cabinet slightly more honest. It is not as if the Tories have a majority, or are even united. A decent opposition should be able to hold them to at least some account.

Archived