UK Politics: Royal Weddings and Referendums

Yukle

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

UK, we’re friends, right? Mind babysitting Trump for a bit longer, say for like 28 months?

Thanks, bye!

The relationship between our countries may be special, but there’s no way it’s THAT special.

Trump has just shat all over May over Brexit.  Given Trump likely knows little about Brexit (and cares even less), this is almost certainly a favour for Farage and Boris.  It's a disgrace we're actually entertainibg this clown.  Millions are being spent in policing alone in Scotland, solely so he can play a round of golf.

Not only has he basically turned up for a visit and undermined his host by suggesting someone else should have her job: he's declaring that we won't get a deal with the US unless we go for a hard Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44815558#

So glad we have the US for an ally. We wouldn't want to be subservient to the EU. Being subservient to the US is so much better. They have better TV!

It's the will of the people. I am sure I'd get punched in the face for using the phrase will of the people in a few pubs.

Anyway, I think you are giving Boris too much credit here. I think he is essentially doing Putin's bidding here, like always when it comes to US foreign policy.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/trump-baby-blimp-balloon-london-2018-7?utm_content=buffer3fcf7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi&r=US&IR=T
"I used to love London as a city," Trump said. "I haven't been there in a long time. But when they make you feel unwelcome, why would I stay there?"

It's almost like... that's the point of it?

No government would want a trade deal with the US on the terms that Trump would offer, which would include:-

1. Taking steps to reduce our substantial trade surplus with the US

2. Full access to US agribusinesses, requiring us to lower standards on animal welfare

3. Exclusive jurisdiction for US courts in case of disputes

4. Part-privatisation of the NHS.

None of this is a runner.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, James Arryn said:

Couple more questions. First, the assumption I’m working on is that most Brits regret Brexit, but that there’s not really any way of reversing it. Is that fair/accurate?

If so, are the primary obstacles the idea that political credibility will be undermined by a do-over, or the fact that the ruling party are vested in it, or the general malaise about going through the whole headache for nothing? Is it even an option as far as the EU is itself concerned? Have negotiations hardened Brexit opinions, ie it’s bad for us and costly, but fuck those Euro bastards for making this harder, let’s just leave anyway? 

Polling shows on average 48/49% support for Brexit, 51/52% opposition, excluding don't knows, so one should assume that a rerun referendum would be a toss-up.  I expect that in any case, the EU would require pretty clear commitments that the UK would never again vote to leave, as a condition for agreeing to revoke A.50.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Trump has just shat all over May over Brexit.  Given Trump likely knows little about Brexit (and cares even less), this is almost certainly a favour for Farage and Boris.  It's a disgrace we're actually entertainibg this clown.  Millions are being spent in policing alone in Scotland, solely so he can play a round of golf.

Welcome to Trump's Thunderdome! 

Also, May is such a coward. I said a month or two ago that she'd be forced out. She looks so weak during this presser! Her willingness to suck up to Trump probably won't help her considering polls show less than 15% of UK citizens approve of Trump. 

Lol wow. Trump just told a reporter wearing a hat that he had a nice head of hair. He then told the guy to take his hat off repeatedly until he did, revealing that he’s bald. That’s a world class A-hole move, especially when it comes from a guy who has the most outrageous hairstyle ever all to cover up that he’s balding.

50 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Lol wow. Trump just told a reporter wearing a hat that he had a nice head of hair. He then told the guy to take his hat off repeatedly until he did, revealing that he’s bald. That’s a world class A-hole move, especially when it comes from a guy who has the most outrageous hairstyle ever all to cover up that he’s balding.

He's also claimed that Tom Newton Dunn's interview with him was fake news.

2 hours ago, Pebble said:

I'm trying to work our if Trump's   Boris would make a better PM  thing    Hurts or Helps Boris's attempt at becoming PM in the future?

I mean those of us that are pro Trump are probably already Pro Boris.

Hurts.  Conservative voters disapprove of Trump by 62% to 28%.

Boris is a busted flush anyway.

23 minutes ago, SeanF said:

He's also claimed that Tom Newton Dunn's interview with him was fake news.

Hurts.  Conservative voters disapprove of Trump by 62% to 28%.

Boris is a busted flush anyway.

He also said that the new German-Russian pipeline is going to provide upwards of 70% of Germany’s energy, which is a fantastically insane comment, and that he opposes it because he wants to get tough on Russia even though there were numerous reports after he got elected that he wanted to rescind all the sanctions on Russia drilling for oil. Calling the man nuts is far too generous.

2 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

He also said that the new German-Russian pipeline is going to provide upwards of 70% of Germany’s energy, which is a fantastically insane comment, and that he opposes it because he wants to get tough on Russia even though there were numerous reports after he got elected that he wanted to rescind all the sanctions on Russia drilling for oil. Calling the man nuts is far too generous.

Putin is the man that Trump would like to be.

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Also, May is such a coward. I said a month or two ago that she'd be forced out. She looks so weak during this presser! Her willingness to suck up to Trump probably won't help her considering polls show less than 15% of UK citizens approve of Trump. 

There's a poll out saying that 13% of voters think the Chequers Brexit deal will be good for Britain, so she has apparently managed to create something less popular in Britain than Donald Trump, which is quite an achievement.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, La Albearceleste said:

I would suggest to you that the future of the EU as an entity looks safer than the future of the UK as an entity.

If the Scottish choose to go their own way, that isn't a problem to me. They clearly meet the definition of "a people" and can have self determination if they want.  That's a pretty separate issue though. It's a general issue in world politics that when people start making prediction for future decades, they tend to assume the future will keep a lot of aspects of the status quo. 

On 7/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, chiKanery et al. said:

UK, we’re friends, right? Mind babysitting Trump for a bit longer, say for like 28 months?

Thanks, bye!

We've got a Tower that would be perfect :)

Archived