UK Politics: Royal Weddings and Referendums

Yukle

11 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

We've got a Tower that would be perfect :)

Na. He'd feel too at home there. I was thinking we could make use of one of your many dungeons, perhaps one with say some of those instruments from the dark ages.

Just a thought.  

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

There's a poll out saying that 13% of voters think the Chequers Brexit deal will be good for Britain, so she has apparently managed to create something less popular in Britain than Donald Trump, which is quite an achievement.

People think it gives far too much away.  In the same poll, 46% were in favour of a No Deal Brexit, a position which is far more hard line than my own.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, mankytoes said:

Certainly no strong evidence to support this. A lot of people are saying this is the case, but they nearly all voted Remain in the first place, and are just repeating what they said pre-referendum. 

It's kind of like a nasty, contested divorce. Do you go through with it, or just stick in your miserable marriage until you die?

As said previously, the marriage/divorce metaphor is a terrible one and the "until you die" comment is nonsensical.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

There's a poll out saying that 13% of voters think the Chequers Brexit deal will be good for Britain, so she has apparently managed to create something less popular in Britain than Donald Trump, which is quite an achievement.

Just wait till she has to table a realistic offer`, or commit to a hard Brexit. This offer was for most parts still cherry picking (not to mention that it also contained the bonkers element of May's custom partnership idea with the UK collecting tariffs on the EU's behalf). The reality of the matter is, there won't be a better deal than the UK currently enjoys as member (with all its special perks on top). On top of that, it was also a half-way proposal to pacify both remainers and leavers alike.  Which in turn satisfied noone.

And yes, the clock keeps on ticking, and I don't think May will be able to move much more towards the EU for a deal. Who would've thought that spending so much time on strong (wo-)man poses at home would result in running the clock down?

14 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Loving some of the fantastically British placards out in London

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1751587208222533&id=141516115896325

Wankmaggot!

:lmao:

That one will be going into the lexicon. 

2 minutes ago, Notone said:

Just wait till she has to table a realistic offer`, or commit to a hard Brexit. This offer was for most parts still cherry picking (not to mention that it also contained the bonkers element of May's custom partnership idea with the UK collecting tariffs on the EU's behalf). The reality of the matter is, there won't be a better deal than the UK currently enjoys as member (with all its special perks on top). On top of that, it was also a half-way proposal to pacify both remainers and leavers alike.  Which in turn satisfied noone.

And yes, the clock keeps on ticking, and I don't think May will be able to move much more towards the EU for a deal. Who would've thought that spending so much time on strong (wo-)man poses at home would result in running the clock down?

It is a realistic offer. It's similar to the deal that Switzerland has with the EU.  "Cherry picking" is what any negotiation involves.  But, I think it will be rejected.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

As said previously, the marriage/divorce metaphor is a terrible one and the "until you die" comment is nonsensical.

Not if you don't believe the nation state will remain in existence forever. And I don't. Countries are political divisions, they are artificial. Historically, it isn't so long since the age of empire. All things will pass. But for now, this is who we are. 

15 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Loving some of the fantastically British placards out in London

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1751587208222533&id=141516115896325

If I'd gone I was going to go with "If you can meet with Trump and Disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same..." but that's a bit long/pretentious for a placard. 

37 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It is a realistic offer. It's similar to the deal that Switzerland has with the EU.  "Cherry picking" is what any negotiation involves.  But, I think it will be rejected.

To some degree it resembles the Ukraine+, and also Switzerland model, yes.

However part of the treaties between the EU and Switzerland also contains a specific one that deals with the freedom of movement for people (something the white paper is not really offering). And here comes the kicker, those treaties also have a so called "guillotine clause", if the Suisse withdraw from one (likesay freedom of movement), then all other treaties become void as result. That was established to prevent cherry picking. Also, Switzerland (like Norway) contributes to the EU budget, that's another UK red line falling. 

And there's also a fundamental political problem. At the end of 2012 (?) the EU has pretty much said, they would no longer negotiate Suisse like deals. The reason was that those contracts/treaties are too static, and do not take changes/evolvement of the EU law into account, which is somewhat of a nuisance. Which brings back the role of the ECJ, I don't think May's White Paper is good enough in that respect.

My most sincere thanks to the British people for protesting the orange wankmaggot. 

Seems the queen dealt with him like the pro that she is, having handled dictators brutes, shy people, ordinary everyday people, and now Trump, armed with her courtesy, black purse and palace guards. She kept him amused with parades, which we all know he likes. Look over there, shiny. So he said stuffto a newspaper, denied it and complained about fake news, did a little race baiting, and has chosen your next pm

It cheered me up to know end to see a proper London protest, and Trump deserves the orange baby and nappy blimp. I’d love to see orange blimps all along the Mexican and Canadian border, and in sanctuary cities. More indictments of Russians for election meddling here. Would it be legal in Britain?

3 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

My most sincere thanks to the British people for protesting the orange wankmaggot. 

Seems the queen dealt with him like the pro that she is, having handled dictators brutes, shy people, ordinary everyday people, and now Trump, armed with her courtesy, black purse and palace guards. She kept him amused with parades, which we all know he likes. Look over there, shiny. So he said stuffto a newspaper, denied it and complained about fake news, did a little race baiting, and has chosen your next pm

It cheered me up to know end to see a proper London protest, and Trump deserves the orange baby and nappy blimp. I’d love to see orange blimps all along the Mexican and Canadian border, and in sanctuary cities. More indictments of Russians for election meddling here. Would it be legal in Britain?

FTR There were an awful lot of Americans at the march; it was very much anti-Trump; not Anti-America; or even particularly Anti-American-Policy (so far as it's possible to seperate America's actions from Trump's actions).

I don't remember a protest like this over an individual and what they stand for before; plenty on actions, or specific policies; but not for an individual and basically everything that they represent.

He doesn't like it though - says he feels unwelcome - the poor little diddums.

56 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

FTR There were an awful lot of Americans at the march; it was very much anti-Trump; not Anti-America; or even particularly Anti-American-Policy (so far as it's possible to seperate America's actions from Trump's actions).

I don't remember a protest like this over an individual and what they stand for before; plenty on actions, or specific policies; but not for an individual and basically everything that they represent.

He doesn't like it though - says he feels unwelcome - the poor little diddums.

the protest worked then.  He got the message.

According to The Sunday Times this morning:

• Penny Mordaunt and Esther McVey are considering resigning. Mordaunt is being floated as an alternative leadership candidate as Boris may be too divisive.
  • Theresa May allegedly cried after being ranted at in a private meeting with Iain Duncan Smith, although to be fair most people would cry at the prospect of spending any time alone in a room with Iain Duncan Smith.
  • 40 letters have been submitted to the 1922 Committee calling for a vote of no confidence, eight short of the number required.
  • Tory Whips have threatened MPs in marginal seats to withdraw their letters or have their funding withdrawn for the next election campaign.
  • May loyalists are threatening to trigger a leadership contest now as they believe May would easily win and this would crush the hard Brexiteer wing for all time.
  • Davis claims that May has "lied" over there being no alternatives to her Brexit plan (he is being pedantic there: she meant "no alternative plan that isn't fucking insane, like crashing out with no deal").

In related news, the British government has apparently started stock-piling processed and tinned food for a no-deal Brexit, because clearly it's actually 1939.

Still, nice to know that the prosperity and international reputation of this nation are not being trashed by bungling amateurs in pursuance of their own self-interest.

This is more appropriate than ever today.

Not if you don't believe the nation state will remain in existence forever. And I don't. Countries are political divisions, they are artificial. Historically, it isn't so long since the age of empire. All things will pass. But for now, this is who we are. 

This comment appears to be a non-sequitur.

LOL:

Trump previously said the protests made him feel "unwelcome" in London. But he told Morgan the protesters weren't all anti-Trump.

"Some of them are protesting in my favor, you know that?" he said. "There are many, many protests in my favor."

well someone I think it was the BBC, did manage to find one guy in a Make America Great Again hat who was unhappy with the protests and said they were a disgrace.  this was about Lunchtime on the Friday.

So there was at least one person protesting in favour of Trump for a few mins (maybe more)

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL:

He's right, there were a couple of dozen people out marching (elsewhere) to welcome him. IIRC they combined it with a march to release Robison (our resident nazi). Some of them may have been protesting the organised protest though, as some thought the baloon thing was demeaning.

Kinda pales in comparison to the circa 250,000 who are supposed to have marched in protest at Trump though.

12 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

He's right, there were a couple of dozen people out marching (elsewhere) to welcome him. IIRC they combined it with a march to release Robison (our resident nazi). Some of them may have been protesting the organised protest though, as some thought the baloon thing was demeaning.

Kinda pales in comparison to the circa 250,000 who are supposed to have marched in protest at Trump though.

So he was right to say "some" supported him, and wrong to say there were "many, many protests". 

I dunno about the baby thing. I don't think Trump or his supporters can have any complaints, because this is just on his level, and I certainly support it on freedom of speech grounds. My only worry is that we're going to see it all the time now. Like in football, one time, I think Crystal Palace thought of it first, they paid for a small team to fly over their rival's ground mocking their relegation. Funny stuff. now, however, you see it all the time, very tedious. Next Democrat President to visit, I assume the right wing will be determined to mimic this. And if, say, we were trying to do a deal with China, I can see this sort of action genuinely sabotaging it. 

I hate to be a killjoy, but I can imagine in ten years people will be saying "I wish they'd never floated that bloody balloon". 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Werthead said:

I think you have to see this in connection with the so called "Doomsday scenarios" 

The implication would be, that the British goverment besides all its bluster knows very well, that a no deal Brexit would not be particularly pleasent. A cynical observer might raise the question, whether that isn't weakening the goverment's neogtiating position. But, I guess, I'll leave it at that. 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Werthead said:
  • Penny Mordaunt and Esther McVey are considering resigning. Mordaunt is being floated as an alternative leadership candidate as Boris may be too divisive.
  • Theresa May allegedly cried after being ranted at in a private meeting with Iain Duncan Smith, although to be fair most people would cry at the prospect of spending any time alone in a room with Iain Duncan Smith.
  • 40 letters have been submitted to the 1922 Committee calling for a vote of no confidence, eight short of the number required.
  • Tory Whips have threatened MPs in marginal seats to withdraw their letters or have their funding withdrawn for the next election campaign.
  • May loyalists are threatening to trigger a leadership contest now as they believe May would easily win and this would crush the hard Brexiteer wing for all time.
  • Davis claims that May has "lied" over there being no alternatives to her Brexit plan (he is being pedantic there: she meant "no alternative plan that isn't fucking insane, like crashing out with no deal").

Well, and apparently May has carved in to pressure from the Brexiters, and agreed to amendments that would make the deal even less palatable for the EU. Like I said, on route to a hard Brexit.

21 minutes ago, Notone said:

Well, and apparently May has caved in to pressure from the Brexiters, and agreed to amendments that would make the deal even less palatable for the EU. Like I said, on route to a hard Brexit.

Words I never thought I'd read...

Archived