Drogo's Life Paid for the Dragons

Darth Sidious

I do not have my reference materials at hand so I borrowed this quote from another thread called Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays.  This is a scene from the wedding of Princess Daenerys and Khal Drogo.  Dignitaries, honored guests, Dothraki, and bloodriders each came forward to bring gifts to the couple.  Lastly, the Khal presents his gift to the new Khaleesi.  The crowd parted to let Drogo present the silver horse to Daenerys.  Here is the scene.

She was a young filly, spirited and splendid.  Dany knew just enough about horses to know that this was no ordinary animal.  There was something about her that took the breath away.  She was grey as the winter sea, with a mane like silver smoke.

Hesitantly she reached out and stroked the horse's neck, ran her fingers through the silver of her mane.  Khal Drogo said something in Dothraki and Magister Illyrio translated.  "Silver for the silver of your hair, the khal says."

"She's beautiful," Dany murmured.

"She is the pride of the khalasar," Illyrio said.  "Custom decrees that the khaleesi must ride a mount worthy of her place by the side of the khal."

Drogo stepped forward and put his hands on her waist.  He lifted her up as easily as if she were a child and set her on the thin Dothraki saddle, so much smaller than the ones she was used to.  Dany sat there uncertain for a moment.  No one told her about this part.  "What should I do?" she asked Illyrio.

It was Ser Jorah Mormont who answered.  "Take the reins and ride.  You need not go far."

Nervously Dany gathered the reins in her hands and slid her feet into the short stirrups.  She was only a fair rider; she had spent far more time traveling by ship and wagon and palanquin than by horseback.  Praying she would not fall off and disgrace herself, she gave the filly the lightest and most timid touch with her knees.

And for the first time in hours, she forgot to be afraid.  Or perhaps it was for the first time ever.

The silver-grey filly moved with a smooth and silken gait, and the crowd parted for her, every eye upon them.  Dany found herself moving faster than she had intended, yet somehow it was exciting rather than terrifying.  The horse broke into a trot, and she smiled.  Dothraki scrambled to clear a path.  The slightest pressure with her legs, the lightest touch on the reins, and the filly responded.  She sent it into a gallop, and now the Dothraki were hooting and laughing and shouting at her as they jumped out of her way.  As she turned to ride back, a firepit loomed ahead, directly in her path.  They were hemmed in on either side, with no room to stop.  A daring she had never known filled Daenerys then, and she gave the filly her head.

The silver horse leapt the flames as if she had wings.

When she pulled up before Magister Illyrio, she said, "Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind."  The fat Pentoshi stroked his yellow beard as he repeated her words in Dothraki, and Dany saw her new husband smile for the first time.

"Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind."

Mind you, most people would say, "tell Drogo that he has given me wings," but instead the word choice is wind.  Wind beneath her wings, because there is figurative as well as a literal meaning to this.  Drogo gives her the opening she needed to blossom.  Because of their marriage, Daenerys eventually becomes Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.  Drogo lifted her up from the lowest point in her life and sheltered her so she can blossom.  The safety of his khalasar allowed her to develop into the brave and intelligent young lady that we all admire.  That is one interpretation of wind.  Later on, Drogo gives her another gift and he becomes the wind that gives her literal wings.  The wind that will enable Dany to fly, dragons.  

Drogo gifted Dany with her first ride, the silver horse.  The Khal later gives her another gift to ride, the dragons.  Ride and mount feature prominently in the Khaleesi's present and future.  In both cases so far, it is Drogo who gives her the two gifts to ride.  I hope this puts to rest the question of whose life paid for the dragons. 

Drogo gives Dany his love along with the horse.  Drogo gives Dany his life along with the dragons.  The only thing left for Drogo to give, his former khalasar.  The khalasar that he worked so hard to build.  I believe Dany will gather together the broken khalasar and put it back together into one mighty khalasar.  

15 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

I do not have my reference materials at hand so I borrowed this quote from another thread called Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays.  This is a scene from the wedding of Princess Daenerys and Khal Drogo.  Dignitaries, honored guests, Dothraki, and bloodriders each came forward to bring gifts to the couple.  Lastly, the Khal presents his gift to the new Khaleesi.  The crowd parted to let Drogo present the silver horse to Daenerys.  Here is the scene.

"Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind."

Mind you, most people would say, "tell Drogo that he has given me wings," but instead the word choice is wind.  Wind beneath her wings, because there is figurative as well as a literal meaning to this.  Drogo gives her the opening she needed to blossom.  Because of their marriage, Daenerys eventually becomes Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.  Drogo lifted her up from the lowest point in her life and sheltered her so she can blossom.  The safety of his khalasar allowed her to develop into the brave and intelligent young lady that we all admire.  That is one interpretation of wind.  Later on, Drogo gives her another gift and he becomes the wind that gives her literal wings.  The wind that will enable Dany to fly, dragons.  

Drogo gifted Dany with her first ride, the silver horse.  The Khal later gives her another gift to ride, the dragons.  Ride and mount feature prominently in the Khaleesi's present and future.  In both cases so far, it is Drogo who gives her the two gifts to ride.  I hope this puts to rest the question of whose life paid for the dragons. 

Drogo gives Dany his love along with the horse.  Drogo gives Dany his life along with the dragons.  The only thing left for Drogo to give, his former khalasar.  The khalasar that he worked so hard to build.  I believe Dany will gather together the broken khalasar and put it back together into one mighty khalasar.  

Drogo's life among others.  Throw in Rhaego, Viserys, Red Stallion, and Mirri.  It may be too long ago for Rhaegar's death to have any effect on the hatching of the dragons.  

9 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Drogo's life among others.  Throw in Rhaego, Viserys, Red Stallion, and Mirri.  It may be too long ago for Rhaegar's death to have any effect on the hatching of the dragons.  

Drogo and Rhaego were the key if this quote is true:

Two kings to wake the dragon. The father first and then the son, so both die kings. The words had been murmured by one of the queen's men as Maester Aemon had cleaned his wounds

Then what is the significance of the HotU vision, showing "Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon
bursting from her brow"? Rhaego wasn't even in the pyre and Drogo was dead already, so neither should count as a sacrifice. Whereas Mirri... by burning her, Dany actually followed the family recipe of Fire and Blood, to the letter.

52 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Drogo and Rhaego were the key if this quote is true:

The question is whether Drogo died first since he is something of a zombie afterwards and Rheago was still-born during the tent ritual.  So if this formula is true; then Drogo is for all intents and purposes dead although his body still breathes.  Waking the dragon is not the same as transmitting Drogo's soul into the black egg.  I still maintain that this is Rheagar's egg and his soul is trapped in the egg, that he is the one who died 'long ago'.  It's the sacrifice of the king and his son that wakes the dragon. 

Melisandre seems to be following the same formula when she says she needs Robert's bastard to wake the great dragon.

Nah Drogo is a second life of Drogon but Rhaego is the sacrifice that makes it all happen. The sacrifice's soul seems to swap with the dragon in the womb, hence he comes out a bit like a dragon. If you recall skinchanging is something of a two way street, the skinchanger gets something of the "target's" soul back with them when they leave but leaves something of themselves there too.

So a majority of the baby's soul swaps with the majority of the dragon's while in the womb and the egg.

The mother who carries the child in her womb then gets contaminated blood - blood of the dragon, and she's able to do crazy stuff like survive a funeral pyre and ride that dragon. They're family, blood bonded, blood of the dragon and best to keep the line pure so that future generations may also ride the dragons.

The baby is needed seemingly as something of an empty vessel to push the dragon's own soul into, to leave the dragon empty of a soul to allow others to get in. But it also seems to relate to why other people's souls can survive inside the dragon without just burning up. And the child's soul is the reason for a dragon's fire, they become the flame.

The whole process is probably similar to what the Others do with Craster's newborns.

The sacrifice is the payment that pays for the magic to work.  MMD was that sacrifice.  The fires that Dany will light is an execution of a betrayer.  Each one will involve giving a traitor to the flames.  Their lives will buy the magic for whatever Dany wants to make happen.  Drogo provided the king's blood necessary to add to the magic.  The stallion's blood also add to the magic.

Bear in mind, the lighting of the fire had three goals:. funeral for Khal Drogo, execution of Mirri, and resurrection of the dragons.  The stallion's blood satisfied the needs for the funeral, Mirri's blood satisfied the execution and her death allowed Dany to survive the fire, and the khal's blood awakened the petrified eggs.  The souls of three dead kings may reside in the dragons.  Rhaego, Viserys, and Drogo.  If the Ice family can live second lives as canines the fire family should be able to live second lives as dragons.  The old powers are waking and they predate the knowledge of Valyria and Asshai.  This is high necromancy  and it involved calling the dead back from the grave and putting their souls back into new vessels.  The dragons were truly dead but the ritual had three souls to donate to the empty dragon shells.  Mirri was telling the truth according to how she saw it.  The contents of the eggs had been dead a long time.  Little Rhaego traded places with one of them and the transferring partly affected his physical form.  Rhaego, Drogo, and Viserys were called back from wherever the souls of the dead are resting to give life to Rhaegal and Viserion.  This is about Dany and the men in her life.  Rhaego, Drogo, and Viserys looking after Dany.  Dany in her own way is the Child of Three, from the line of Visenya, Aegon, and Rhaenys.  The third living child of Aerys and Rhaella.  Daughter of the house whose symbol is the three-headed dragon.  Mother of Prince Rhaego, sister of King Viserys 3, and wife of Khal Drogo.  The mother of three dragons.  

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, Agent Orange said:

When I look a the personalities of the three dragons and I see:

Drogon/Drogo -- fierce, independent, brave, loyal

Viserion/Rhaego -- clingy, emotional, like an infant desperate for its mother's attention

Rhaegel/Mirri -- aloof, perhaps a little suspicious of Dany, but it doesn't know why.

Those are the three deaths I see paying for the dragon's lives.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:11 PM, chrisdaw said:

The mother who carries the child in her womb then gets contaminated blood - blood of the dragon, and she's able to do crazy stuff like survive a funeral pyre and ride that dragon. They're family, blood bonded, blood of the dragon and best to keep the line pure so that future generations may also ride the dragons.

Interesting thought.

11 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Bear in mind, the lighting of the fire had three goals:. funeral for Khal Drogo, execution of Mirri, and resurrection of the dragons. 

It accomplished those three things and perhaps more.  The ritual was to hatch the eggs.  The execution was incidental.  MMD put Dany in a bad spot with the death of her husband.  Dany had to find a way to change her destiny but she needed to sacrifice someone.  The execution got rid of a dangerous enemy and gave the life needed to bring back the magic.

Archived