Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Tony Stark has pretty much been right all along - I completely understand his actions in Civil War.

I tend to think that in Civil War his basic argument is right, but he argues it really badly.

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Yes, I agree your second point would have been a simpler, easier solution.

But

Hide contents

I can see why Tony would want to surprise-attack Thanos.  But I especially think he wants to keep Thanos away from Earth - that seems to be his main priority - let's try and sort this in space, as we're here and have this opportunity.

not a good plan.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Going through the customs must be fun for you.

Is this a result of the shift in Cuba policy under the Obama administration or have you always been able to go to Cuba?  I thought it was virtually impossible for Americans unless they went through Europe or Canada.

There have always been exceptions for USians to travel legally to Cuba. I've never once done an illegal trip to Cuba, as I fit into several of the legal categories of legal travelers.  However, it was complicated and time-consuming because of having to go through the red tape of Treasury to get a visa -- not a visa from Cuba, but one from the US to enter Cuba. Cuba never wanted to keep US out, but the US -- particularly those Miami gusanos and their pre$$ure to keep the US from actually seeing the place and meeting the people -- tried to keep US out of going there. Obama fixed that for US, Thank You Obama!

After Obama there were direct commercial flights from the US to Cuba.

Current assholes have confused this considerably, the flights, I mean, NOT THE LEGALITY.  USians can fly very EASILY AND LEGALLY direct from the USA still to Cuba. Visas are now issued automatically to USians with your boarding pass to fly, say, on JetBlue from JFK, directly to Jose Martí International Airport.  The flights have just been cut way back after asshole took office and has been, like the petty little bastard brat he is, trying to undo anything his much more popular predecessor in the Oval Office accomplished.

O -- and customs coming back?  Nada, nothing, really fast.  They are so bored and nobody cares and nobody asks questions.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Supposed to be Entertainment based unpopular opinions, no?

We may have run out of Unpopular Entertainment Opinions. A lot of potential opinions are now in the category of "I didn't think it was that good vs that was incredibly awful". But I've got at least a few more-

I don't get the fervor around Annihilation. It wasn't bad, and there were a handful of pretty scenes, but it feels pretty mundane as a story - "team goes into Arbitrary Zone of Weirdness, main character has some personal baggage related to the Zone of Weirdness, etc". There was nothing memorable about it. 

The audience score for Warcraft is 77%. I do not understand this, because that movie was fucking awful. It may have been the most torturously awful blockbuster I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through, aside from a handful of good parts that were also Orc-only (all the human cast parts were the worst). Everything looks bad, it somehow feels rushed as a story while having turgid pacing, the characters mostly suck. They should have just kept the focus on the Orcs for 95% of the movie (but then this movie probably would have cost Avatar-level money, so maybe they couldn't). 

Whereas I feel the opposite about Tomb Raider 2018. It's slow to get moving, and I don't know why they didn't just do a more faithful adaptation of the game it was very obviously cribbing from, but after the first third the rest of the movie is great. There's a twist that's not super-surprising, but it mostly looks good (aside from a handful of Big Trailer Moments that don't look good - seriously, that shot of Laura jumping off the boat does not look good), is acted good, and is quite entertaining. 

In general, I think the whole "there are no good video game movies" thing to be overrated. The first Mortal Kombat movie is a fun film with an addictive, and takes the whole thing precisely as serious as it needs to be taken. The first Resident Evil film has some plot-stupid, but overall it's paced really well, it has a good "cold open", the action sequences are good, and it moves quick. The first Silent Hill film looks amazing, and aside from a weak ending is overall pretty good. 

9 minutes ago, Fall Bass said:

We may have run out of Unpopular Entertainment Opinions. A lot of potential opinions are now in the category of "I didn't think it was that good vs that was incredibly awful". But I've got at least a few more-

I don't get the fervor around Annihilation. It wasn't bad, and there were a handful of pretty scenes, but it feels pretty mundane as a story - "team goes into Arbitrary Zone of Weirdness, main character has some personal baggage related to the Zone of Weirdness, etc". There was nothing memorable about it. 

The audience score for Warcraft is 77%. I do not understand this, because that movie was fucking awful. It may have been the most torturously awful blockbuster I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through, aside from a handful of good parts that were also Orc-only (all the human cast parts were the worst). Everything looks bad, it somehow feels rushed as a story while having turgid pacing, the characters mostly suck. They should have just kept the focus on the Orcs for 95% of the movie (but then this movie probably would have cost Avatar-level money, so maybe they couldn't). 

Whereas I feel the opposite about Tomb Raider 2018. It's slow to get moving, and I don't know why they didn't just do a more faithful adaptation of the game it was very obviously cribbing from, but after the first third the rest of the movie is great. There's a twist that's not super-surprising, but it mostly looks good (aside from a handful of Big Trailer Moments that don't look good - seriously, that shot of Laura jumping off the boat does not look good), is acted good, and is quite entertaining. 

In general, I think the whole "there are no good video game movies" thing to be overrated. The first Mortal Kombat movie is a fun film with an addictive, and takes the whole thing precisely as serious as it needs to be taken. The first Resident Evil film has some plot-stupid, but overall it's paced really well, it has a good "cold open", the action sequences are good, and it moves quick. The first Silent Hill film looks amazing, and aside from a weak ending is overall pretty good. 

I Liked the first Resident Evil film and I have virtually no awareness of the video games aside from the fact that they exist. I think I saw the second  and maybe part of the third but it seemed that the whole thing started to become less coherent over time.  Didn't they make, like, 5 of the things?

I need to see Warcraft now.

I loved Kung Fury.  I'm not that enthusiastic about a Kung Fury movie. I hear Fassbender is attached.

The Michael Fassbender / Liam Cunningham scene from "Hunger" is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed.

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

not a good plan.

Heh.

Spoiler

Thanos wipes out half the population of every planet he visits - I guess Tony was trying to avoid that for Earth as much as possible.

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

I tend to think that in Civil War his basic argument is right, but he argues it really badly.

He does.  And Steve does too!

The Avengers need to learn to compromise.

36 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Logan is a good movie, until they introduce X-24, then gets really bad.

I agree it went downhill after that.  It didn't really need the other kids either (though I always enjoy seeing a variety of powers on screen) - Logan trying to protect Xavier and Laura would have been heart-wrenching enough.

Although I did appreciate how much X-24 resembled Sabretooth. 

Unpopular opinions

I still like 80's hair band music. Going to see Poison / Cheap Trick / Pop Evil this Friday. Mostly going for Poison.

I thought the new Tomb Raider movie was good, as Fall Bass said upstream, it started weak and got better, bike scene was just so stupid and not needed.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why?

Because it's almost always executed in an unrealistic way. The hero or heroine giving up everything or abandoning their principles or beliefs for the sake of getting somebody's heart. Love is great, but I think the idea of giving up so much of yourself for the sake of winning somebody's affections is just dumb and unfortunately that tends to be how romantic love is portrayed.  People taking things way too far.

Archived