Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Is it unpopular that I think all of the late night shows and SNL constantly making fun of Trump and Co. has become played out? Kinda low hanging fruit anymore. And so this doesn't turn into a political debate, I am not a Trump supporter.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Because it's almost always executed in an unrealistic way. The hero or heroine giving up everything or abandoning their principles or beliefs for the sake of getting somebody's heart. Love is great, but I think the idea of giving up so much of yourself for the sake of winning somebody's affections is just dumb and unfortunately that tends to be how romantic love is portrayed.  People taking things way too far.

You should seriously watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It puts this problem you just described to the forefront.

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

You should seriously watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It puts this problem you just described to the forefront.

Yes, this is correct and I also managed to quote out of order

Because it's almost always executed in an unrealistic way. The hero or heroine giving up everything or abandoning their principles or beliefs for the sake of getting somebody's heart. Love is great, but I think the idea of giving up so much of yourself for the sake of winning somebody's affections is just dumb and unfortunately that tends to be how romantic love is portrayed.  People taking things way too far.

But surely this doesn’t mean romantic love is an inherently bad thing to base a movie or tv show on, rather that most are not capable of executing it well

26 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Is it unpopular that I think all of the late night shows and SNL constantly making fun of Trump and Co. has become played out? Kinda low hanging fruit anymore. And so this doesn't turn into a political debate, I am not a Trump supporter.

I kind of agree, especially with SNL. Their political skits at the start of Trump were funny but now they are mostly stale and repetitive

That’s fair.  However, how many people want to watch realistic relationship drama.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s fair.  However, how many people want to watch realistic relationship drama.

Not my problem.

Still, it's not a very interesting topic to go further in on.

Unpopular opinion, Spartacus is overall better than the GOT show. Not early on, but overall.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Not my problem.

Unpopular opinion, Spartacus is overall better than the GOT show. Not early on, but overall.

Overall, The Last Kingdom is better than both of them, though the later seasons of Spartacus did have some fine episodes.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Overall, The Last Kingdom is better than both of them, though the later seasons of Spartacus did have some fine episodes.

Yeah, Spartacus started off as a dudebro pandering mess, but later on became something special.

Not my problem.

Seriously? Wow. I watched about a season and a half and just couldn't take it any more. Something must have drastically changed after season 2 because I couldn't force myself to watch it. I mean it has violence and naked women and gladiators, but man it was just horrible!

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Seriously? Wow. I watched about a season and a half and just couldn't take it any more. Something must have drastically changed after season 2 because I couldn't force myself to watch it. I mean it has violence and naked women and gladiators, but man it was just horrible!

It had Gregor Clegane getting his face cut off, it was one of the best things i've ever seen in my life.

I watched exactly one episode of Spartacus and it was monumentally stupid.

The ridiculous amounts of super fake CGI blood flying around was horrible to watch.

I know people who say it gets much, much better but unless it happens immediately, I just don't care.

I hate basically every single high school drama show or movie I've ever watched. It's not like I had a bad high school experience (I really enjoyed going to high school), but it's so tedious to spend watching time back in that environment, and I've never understood the appeal to anyone except teenagers who enjoy seeing a dramatized version of teenage life on screen. 

I also find it really hard to watch many political or espionage thrillers. There's not enough incompetence in most of them - everything always seems to go too smoothly. It's the same thing that ultimately ruined the Bourne movies after the third one. 

1 hour ago, Durckad said:

I watched exactly one episode of Spartacus and it was monumentally stupid.

The ridiculous amounts of super fake CGI blood flying around was horrible to watch.

I know people who say it gets much, much better but unless it happens immediately, I just don't care.

The first episode to last episode improvement of spartacus is the greatest in the history of TV.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

But surely this doesn’t mean romantic love is an inherently bad thing to base a movie or tv show on, rather that most are not capable of executing it well

I very much agree. Speaking as somebody who does like romantic movies.

I am also surprised nobody took issue with any of my unpopular opinions a few pages back. I guess they aren't that unpopular then. :p

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

It did. Hence the "not early on". It was awful early on. The thing is that it worked like GOT in reverse for me. I loved GOT early on, but now I can't watch it. I hated Spartacus early on, but it's last 2 seasons were great.

Idk I think I might prefer TLK to Thrones (at least the latest seasons). I fucking love that show. :leaving: 

I’d go as far as saying that since Netflix is taking over The Last Kingsom exclusive from season three on that it is by far their best original. 

Archived