Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

12 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Possibly. I haven't watched GoT for 3 seasons so maybe it has improved.

It got worse (much, much worse, season 5 was a toilet) and then it got a bit better.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I guess in relation to Spartacus, my unpopular opinion is that Spartacus > Rome.

Don't get me wrong, Rome season 1 is excellent, but because season 2 had to be rushed to conclude the Octavian v. Anthony & Cleopatra arc, it suffered greatly, and brought the overall quality down. On the other hand, as has been mentioned, Spartacus continuously improved, ending on a really high note. Possibly one of the best series finale I've seen.

Even though Rome Season 2 is a step down from Season 1, it's still pretty fucking great, if only for James Purefoy hamming it up as Marc Antony.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My unpopular opinion of the day: While ribs and bacon are great, ham can sometimes be heavily overrated. 

Ham is a way better Thanksgiving food than turkey.

7 minutes ago, Durckad said:

It got worse (much, much worse, season 5 was a toilet) and then it got a bit better.

Even though Rome Season 2 is a step down from Season 1, it's still pretty fucking great, if only for James Purefoy hamming it up as Marc Antony.

Definitely an unpopular opinion here, but other than the Sandsnakes I like S5 a lot. We got Daenerys and Tyrion together (something we’re STILL waiting on from GRRM:bang:), Lena Headey did some great work, Hardhome was amazing (which made up for having the weakest penultimate episode thus far), and the Wall storyline was pretty strong, imo. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Definitely an unpopular opinion here, but other than the Sandsnakes I like S5 a lot. We got Daenerys and Tyrion together (something we’re STILL waiting on from GRRM:bang:), Lena Headey did some great work, Hardhome was amazing (which made up for having the weakest penultimate episode thus far), and the Wall storyline was pretty strong, imo. 

Don't forget D&D finalizing the destruction of Stannis's character.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

An unpopular opinion: American Gods the book bored me. I couldn’t finish it. I also tried the show and only got a few episodes in before tapping out. 

I'm with you on this one. Think I gave up on the book about half way though.

I am ready for the Millennium Falcon to blow up with R2D2 and C3PO on board.

I am sure this is unpopular but I have been sick of them magically appearing in every movie. I loved the Falcon and R2 in the originals, but then let them end. Hell send Leia off in the Falcon and have the Empire blow it to pieces, let her die in her mans ship as a decoy to save people or something if you have to.

11 hours ago, Durckad said:

I feel like the hate for GOT is way overdone. Seasons 1-3 are excellent. Season 4 isn't as good, but it's still quality. Season 5 is very flawed, granted, but I think it's the campiness (Sand Snakes) that really hurts it. Season 6 and 7 are pretty good, though they can't compare with the earlier seasons that set the bar really high.

I've watched season one several times, but have never watched season two (outside of maybe the first two episodes). I just feel like the arcs are completed after the first season and there's no real point to a second one.

Agreed. It's just that ham is no where as good as bacon or ribs. 

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

An unpopular opinion: American Gods the book bored me. I couldn’t finish it. I also tried the show and only got a few episodes in before tapping out. 

I don't get the whole Neil Gaiman adoration.  I read Neverwhere and American Gods and they were ... ok.  I did like The Doctor's Wife, but that's the only writing of his I've properly enjoyed.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am ready for the Millennium Falcon to blow up with R2D2 and C3PO on board.

I am sure this is unpopular but I have been sick of them magically appearing in every movie. I loved the Falcon and R2 in the originals, but then let them end. Hell send Leia off in the Falcon and have the Empire blow it to pieces, let her die in her mans ship as a decoy to save people or something if you have to.

I'm going to go much further:

I never want another Star Wars movie or another Harry Potter anything (book or film) ever again.

Not because I hate them, but because I love them. But both series have been utterly plundered to remove and and all meaning they've ever had with endless release after release. Their worlds are amazing and that's why they need to be left alone.

I don't want my children growing up with literally the same things that I grew up with. That'd be so sad! I want them to have their own adventures and their own worlds that are extra special to them.

Children today see films that their parents take them to in their own nostalgia. They aren't seeing their own canons that are meaningful to them. They're not getting what we got: special worlds only we understood, that were alien to our parents who just didn't get what it meant to read Harry Potter for the first time.

I'll go a bit more unpopular and add that I sure as hell hope that the current flood of superhero films aren't still coming out in 10 years. We need a new cultural movement.

4 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I don't get the whole Neil Gaiman adoration.  I read Neverwhere and American Gods and they were ... ok.  I did like The Doctor's Wife, but that's the only writing of his I've properly enjoyed.

Sandman is a masterpiece. 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I havn t even read a lot of Neil gaiman but I love him because I’ll always be a bit of a goth at heart <3

Nothing to do with the current topic, but is that you in your profile pic? If so, your brows and eyeliner are literally the greatest and I want your cheeks. :wub:Not to be too creepy. :P

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Aside from Hardhome, which was actually a spectacularly bright spot in the season, pretty much everything else was just a huge step down from the other seasons. Mereen was somehow even worse than the books, though thankfully it was resolved much more quickly. The Wall story is not bad, but the ending betrayal is very perfunctory and lacks any real bite. The Dorne, Sansa, and Brienne stories are generally just... bad.

I'm not someone who complains about every minor change in the show, hell, I liked the last season quite a bit, but Season 5 tested my devotion. I was not at all looking forward to Season 6, but thankfully it was a major step up in quality.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like the hate for GOT is way overdone. Seasons 1-3 are excellent. Season 4 isn't as good, but it's still quality. Season 5 is very flawed, granted, but I think it's the campiness (Sand Snakes) that really hurts it. Season 6 and 7 are pretty good, though they can't compare with the earlier seasons that set the bar really high.

Can't argue with that.

I've watched season one several times, but have never watched season two (outside of maybe the first two episodes). I just feel like the arcs are completed after the first season and there's no real point to a second one.

Season 2 has some serious pacing issues and Pullo and Vorenus get a bit sidelined at times, but there's some good stuff in that season and it is worth watching at least once. Perfect? No, but it's still good television.

Agreed. It's just that ham is no where as good as bacon or ribs. 

Well, what is? ;)

Unpopular Opinion: While bacon is great, I think that some people take their love of it a bit too far. It's just a strip of fried fat, not the god's ambrosia.

Also unpopular opinion: Deep dish is the best way to eat pizza. Fight me.

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

The hell you say!???!?!?!?!?

Unpopular Opinion Detected! :D

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Sandman is a masterpiece. 

It really is <3 <3 

11 hours ago, Yukle said:

Nothing to do with the current topic, but is that you in your profile pic? If so, your brows and eyeliner are literally the greatest and I want your cheeks. :wub:Not to be too creepy. :P

It is me! Thank you !!! That’s so lovely of you to say :D :D :D made my day actually. I’m usually awful at brows so glad to hear I’m getting better LOL 

10 hours ago, Durckad said:

Unpopular Opinion: While bacon is great, I think that some people take their love of it a bit too far. It's just a strip of fried fat, not the god's ambrosia.

Also unpopular opinion: Deep dish is the best way to eat pizza. Fight me.

Bacon is great but it's still just bacon.

Deep dish, eh no thanks.  NY style for me. Chicago style if the sauce is good.

Archived