Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm catching up on Hannibal right now. I just saw a totem pole full of severed limbs and torsos heads. Did NBC show this really late at night or what?

It’s America. Blood and gore are fine. Nudity and profanity are not. 

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

You're not listening, I played Witcher 3, I just didn't finish it. It didn't pull me in.

I watched vids of some cutscenes afterwards so I would know about this great story people kept talking about, but that's not enough for me.

Yeah I’m capable of reading lol. Just saying you were missing out on completing a great game 

1 hour ago, Marko Antonivic said:

It’s America. Blood and gore are fine. Nudity and profanity are not. 

I re-waatched Silence of the Lambs recently.  It's remarkable to me how much it didn't show.  There was still some pretty strong stuff in there, but it was never on the screen for long.  What they were able to do so brilliantly is give you a glimpse and let your mind fill in the rest.  Sometimes it wasn't even a glimpse. e.g. Chilton preparing Starling for her meeting with Lecter.

The books are great BTW. I'm not big on crime or horror novels but I really enjoyed the first three books.

Good idea for a thread - this could be fun! Alright, here we go, in no particular order -

I like M Night Shyamalan's films. :)

Tom Bombadil is one of my favourite characters in The Lord of the Rings - love him!

Friends was unfunny formulaic rubbish (perhaps that's not a minority opinion really!).

There is nothing pleasant about having a lie-in. As soon as I'm awake, I want to get up!

James Bond was best when he was silly and funny.

Fast-cut editing and shaky cam have rendered modern films and TV virtually unwatchable.

And the big one that really makes me feel out of step with the rest of humanity - hot weather is horrible and uncomfortable. Roll on winter!

17 hours ago, Isis said:

Riverdale is fantastic television. 

I have seen a lot of opinions on this thread that baffle me but this one takes the cake. And the scones, mini quiches, crustless sandwiches, and quaint little tea stand that makes the afternoon tea so adorable. 

Erm, what was I saying? Oh yeah, Riverdale was appalling and not just because of it’s vapid inanity but also because of it’s downright insulting portrayal of (attempted) suicide. That really ground my gears

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I have probably already mentioned but WOW I don’t like frank Sinatra, like, AT ALL 

Now this one is legit unpopular.  FOR SHAME YOU!

1 hour ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

There is nothing pleasant about having a lie-in. As soon as I'm awake, I want to get up!

What's a lie-in?  Sounds like something I'd have to pay for, and then yeah, feel disappointed after.

1 hour ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

hot weather is horrible and uncomfortable. Roll on winter!

Lived in Orlando for 8 years.  This isn't so much an opinion as fact.

As for "Riverdale," I did not know it was apparently a show of some sort, but it sounds like some type of serendipitous meeting point between LOTR and GOT.

2 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

What's a lie-in?  Sounds like something I'd have to pay for, and then yeah, feel disappointed after.

Ah, it might be British slang! It means getting to stay in bed longer than normal in the morning.

2 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Lived in Orlando for 8 years.  This isn't so much an opinion as fact.

I can only imagine what Orlando must be like! I live in Scotland, and even Scottish summers are uncomfortably hot for me.

Orlando...  You have my sympathy!

And here's one that's probably going to be unpopular among sci-fi fans, but, in the spirit of the thread -

The first two books of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy were glorious and brilliant, but the later ones often felt as if he was just churning them out to a formula.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I will go and hide now. :)

6 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I have probably already mentioned but WOW I don’t like frank Sinatra, like, AT ALL 

Bullshit.  Everyone like frank Sinatra a little.  It's the rules.

The are Norwegian death metal singers who are like "My mom got me the Seattle '57 live album for Christmas and it's fucking great!"

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Waterworld is a brilliant film 

Lies.  It's merely pretty good.  The Postman was better.

50 minutes ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

And here's one that's probably going to be unpopular among sci-fi fans, but, in the spirit of the thread -

The first two books of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy were glorious and brilliant, but the later ones often felt as if he was just churning them out to a formula.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I will go and hide now. :)

*puts flame suit on*

I've never ever read the last book in the Hitchhikers trilogy.

The last definitive cut of Blade Runner is better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The American Gods TV adaptation is better than the book.

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Bullshit.  Everyone like frank Sinatra a little.  It's the rules.

The are Norwegian death metal singers who are like "My mom got me the Seattle '57 live album for Christmas and it's fucking great!"

Lies.  It's merely pretty good.  The Postman was better.

*puts flame suit on*

I've never ever read the last book in the Hitchhikers trilogy.

The last definitive cut of Blade Runner is better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The American Gods TV adaptation is better than the book.

Nope. Don't like his music. I've TRIED. I've tried a LOT. Not for me. Boring. Soulless. 

5 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

I like M Night Shyamalan's films.

Put me in that camp as well. Not all of them - I didn't care much for the Sixth Sense or his more recent 2-3 films - but Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Lady in the Water, Devil? I enjoyed the hell out of all of them (Devil especially).

Bombadil was fine on my most recent read-through of Fellowship of the Rings. His whole bit comes as a nice relief for the characters (and the reader) after a ton of more tense parts with them scrambling into the Old Forest.

Archived