Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

19 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

Put me in that camp as well. Not all of them - I didn't care much for the Sixth Sense or his more recent 2-3 films - but Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Lady in the Water, Devil? I enjoyed the hell out of all of them (Devil especially).

Lady in the Water?? 

Probably one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.   

23 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Gregg Popovitch is a better coach than Phil Jackson.

That's just a scientific fact.

Unbreakable is the best superhero movie ever.  Tarentino said so!

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have seen a lot of opinions on this thread that baffle me but this one takes the cake. And the scones, mini quiches, crustless sandwiches, and quaint little tea stand that makes the afternoon tea so adorable. 

Erm, what was I saying? Oh yeah, Riverdale was appalling and not just because of it’s vapid inanity but also because of it’s downright insulting portrayal of (attempted) suicide. That really ground my gears

I honestly thought all of the unpopular opinions had already been exhausted here so.. I guess, yay?

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Nope. Don't like his music. I've TRIED. I've tried a LOT. Not for me. Boring. Soulless. 

Dean Martin is better anyway.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think Blade Runner is AS GOOD as Do Androids. I think they're hard to compare to be honest because Blade Runner is just so much more vast, Do Androids seems a lot smaller, a lot more claustrophobic. 

In truth, I don't like the whole "film vs book" debates.  Too faithful; not faithful enough; did/didn't capture the characters or themes; etc.  Book fans will inevitably go to the film and will inevitably complain about how it was screwed it up.

My view is that Films and books are two fundamentally different ways of story telling, each with their strengths and weaknesses.  People need to have a realistic expectation of what adaptations are.  Faithful or loose, film adaptation needs to stand on its own.

That said, Blade Runner: ultimate cut is a very loose adaptation that stands on its own.  I really enjoyed the film but I really didn't like the book.

53 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Oh, said this before around here, but I find Bladerunner interminably boring.

This thread has become a house of LIES!

Lady in the Water was fine. It was a weird film with all too much ego fluffing for Shymalan, but I liked it. It's basically a story of a group of ordinary people who suddenly find themselves living in a fairy tale, being given the choice to act out the roles or let something bad happen.

4 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

And here's one that's probably going to be unpopular among sci-fi fans, but, in the spirit of the thread -

The first two books of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy were glorious and brilliant, but the later ones often felt as if he was just churning them out to a formula.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I will go and hide now. :)

I don't think it's too controversial to suggest the trilogy went downhill as it went along, particularly the fifth book which I think most people found disappointing.

4 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Was a great film.

Unpopular opinion that should be popular: Get Out should have won Best Picture! It was way better than The Shape of Water, which is a fine, but forgettable movie. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Unpopular opinion that should be popular: Get Out should have won Best Picture! It was way better than The Shape of Water, which is a fine, but forgettable movie. 

I liked both, but i'll admit I liked Get Out more. It made fun of underlying racism, but in a hilarious way.

14 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I liked both, but i'll admit I liked Get Out more. It made fun of underlying racism, but in a hilarious way.

Specifically liberal racism, which  as a white liberal activist, I think was an important point to make. 2017 had a lot of really good movies without any truly great ones, so why not give it to the movie that made the bigger societal statement? 

8 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

And here's one that's probably going to be unpopular among sci-fi fans, but, in the spirit of the thread -

The first two books of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy were glorious and brilliant, but the later ones often felt as if he was just churning them out to a formula.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I will go and hide now. :)

Douglas Adams himself said he didn't like Mostly Harmless, saying it was "a bleak book" and he was in "a bleak place" when he wrote it. He always wanted to add more to it to repair the story.

Also, I think that the first two were outstanding, the third was pretty good, the fourth was funny but not as good although it had a really poignant ending. I did have a churning in the feels when

Marvin saw God's message from creation. And finally, for the first time, felt happiness.

I pretend that the fifth book didn't happen. It was rubbish. Except for the blurb, which said it was the fifth book in the trilogy of four.

I pretend that the fifth book didn't happen. It was rubbish. Except for the blurb, which said it was the fifth book in the trilogy of four.

Archived