Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

11 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

That's just cuz you haven't had good guacamole.  My brother (who's a chef) makes great guac.  It played a large part in making me fat.

Yo, I tried some fancy guac ... I gotta say ,you were right mate . Shit's good ! 

Let's see now , I don't like strawberries.

36 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

The Wire was inconsistent, culminating in a very disappointing final season.  But the 4th season is probably my favorite season of television ever.

Sopranos is also infinitely more rewatchable than the Wire imo

33 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

The Wire was inconsistent, culminating in a very disappointing final season.  But the 4th season is probably my favorite season of television ever.

'Loved the Wire final season.

I'm a fan of both, but I would have liked the Wire to continue.  I think The Sopranos went on maybe a season or two too long.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

'Loved the Wire final season.

I'm a fan of both, but I would have liked the Wire to continue.  I think The Sopranos went on maybe a season or two too long.

Yea, even if you find Season 5 of The Wire disappointing, there’s an elegance to it in that it’s five aspects of Baltimore they wanted to depict and then bowed out. The Sopranos felt like it could’ve been any number of seasons really, there isn’t necessarily a cohesive arc to it. They just made it until they stopped making it.

28 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea, even if you find Season 5 of The Wire disappointing, there’s an elegance to it in that it’s five aspects of Baltimore they wanted to depict and then bowed out. The Sopranos felt like it could’ve been any number of seasons really, there isn’t necessarily a cohesive arc to it. They just made it until they stopped making it.

Marlow Stanfield has to be one of TV's greatest villains.

28 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Marlow Stanfield has to be one of TV's greatest villains.

I'm not sure I agree. I mean in terms of (realistic) evil he's up gotta be up there. But he's kinda one dimensional until the last couple episodes. Until the big Prop Joe scene and the scene in jail where he starts flipping out that Omar had been calling him a punk on the street I was pretty indifferent to Hector's performance. He was meant to represent a truly evil drug kingpin (as Opposed to Avon who cared somewhat about the community and his family. Its hard to imagine Marlow donating any money to Cutty's boxing program.) but Avon had way more personality and was much more interesting as a character. 

Talk of unpopular opinions -- my take is that season 2 of The Wire is the greatest tv ever.

Well, maybe by now, there are other candidates.  But nothing wrote the epitaph of the USA better than season 2 of The Wire. 

"Once this country made things that we sold all the world. Now it's about putting your hand in another guy's pocket."

5 hours ago, Marko Antonivic said:

Sopranos is also infinitely more rewatchable than the Wire imo

So much this. The Wire was excellent (my 2nd favorite show), but The Sopranos had it all. Great writing, great acting, great music, humor, etc. Plus, I think Gandolfini and Falco are still the best leads of any show ever. 

17 hours ago, Vin said:

Edit: here's something , in a perverse way I somehow like the matrix sequels .

Matrix: Reloaded has merits and gets more hate then it deserve overall.

Matrix: Revolution has some great Agent Smith scenes but everything else is hot garbage. The Cain subplot was infuriating stupid. I understand "not to bright" but come on.

The Animatrix is really great.

I enjoy one Justin Bieber song "Love Yourself".

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure I agree. I mean in terms of (realistic) evil he's up gotta be up there. But he's kinda one dimensional until the last couple episodes. Until the big Prop Joe scene and the scene in jail where he starts flipping out that Omar had been calling him a punk on the street I was pretty indifferent to Hector's performance. He was meant to represent a truly evil drug kingpin (as Opposed to Avon who cared somewhat about the community and his family. Its hard to imagine Marlow donating any money to Cutty's boxing program.) but Avon had way more personality and was much more interesting as a character. 

There's also his scenes with Chris.  Chris is a guy who doesn't telegraph his feelings much but when he does its usually significant.  There's this recurring thing between them where Marlow talks about them going Atlantic City and having some fun when they get business sorted out.  Chris' reaction to this is strange, especially considering how devoted he is professionally to Marlow.

I like the fact that they don't explain him much. Always calculating, always cool; except for the jail scene where he loses it. Chris' reaction to the whole exchange indicates that he knows what Marlow is and it isn't pretty.  At the same time, how does Marlow inspire the kind of devotion he does from Chris and Snoop?  There's all kinds of subtle shit going on there that just is.  I like that.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

So much this. The Wire was excellent (my 2nd favorite show), but The Sopranos had it all. Great writing, great acting, great music, humor, etc. Plus, I think Gandolfini and Falco are still the best leads of any show ever. 

Falco was great in Oz as well.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There's also his scenes with Chris.  Chris is a guy who doesn't telegraph his feelings much but when he does its usually significant.  There's this recurring thing between them where Marlow talks about them going Atlantic City and having some fun when they get business sorted out.  Chris' reaction to this is strange, especially considering how devoted he is professionally to Marlow.

I like the fact that they don't explain him much. Always calculating, always cool; except for the jail scene where he loses it. Chris' reaction to the whole exchange indicates that he knows what Marlow is and it isn't pretty.  At the same time, how does Marlow inspire the kind of devotion he does from Chris and Snoop?  There's all kinds of subtle shit going on there that purposely isn't explained.  I like that.

You're right, and there certainly is something interesting about the mystery. If I remember right when Kima and McNulty read his record we just get their reactions, not what he actually did to surprise them.  Still if I were making a list of TV's greatest villains I doubt he'd crack the top 20. As I said before he's not even the best villain on The Wire. In addition to Avon there's Stringer, and one could probably make a case for The Greek.

Of course Simon would say none of them are villains and that life isn't that black and white.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

You're right, and there certainly is something interesting about the mystery. If I remember right when Kima and McNulty read his record we just get their reactions, not what he actually did to surprise them.  Still if I were making a list of TV's greatest villains I doubt he'd crack the top 20. As I said before he's not even the best villain on The Wire. In addition to Avon there's Stringer, and one could probably make a case for The Greek.

Of course Simon would say none of them are villains and that life isn't that black and white. 

Couldn't you make a case for Omar himself? I mean he is what tvtropes would call a Noble Demon, but still he IS a criminal and he does kill people.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Couldn't you make a case for Omar himself? I mean he is what tvtropes would call a Noble Demon, but still he IS a criminal and he does kill people.

Yeah, you could. but I think it would be a weak one. It's hard to consider him a villain relative to the other charcters on The Wire. I'm not sure that he'd killed anyone prior to his revenge killing throughout the series. They charged him with attempted murder but he just shot some guy (mike mike?) in his "hind parts" as I recall. He's not the type to kill people to silence them or to make a point, and he only seems to rob and wound drug dealers.

Sheeeeeiiiit Clay Davis has probably done more harm to the community than Omar. 

36 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Don't get me started on the Greeks...

They got a lot right about them.  The actors were perfect.  Their mannerisms and their english-speaking greek accents were pretty good.  However, watching those guys attempt the Greek language, my only thought was, "I'm glad my father isn't watching this with me because I could do without so much screaming at the TV thanks".

They wouldn't even have had to spend money on a Greek language coach.

Step 1: Go down to the local Orthodox Church or community center (often the same place)

Step 2: Announce you need some old guys as extras to fill out the diner scenes. There'll be coffee and they'll get fed.

Step 3: Just park them there while the scenes are being filmed and let nature do the work.

Maybe 3 syllables later these guys would spring into action like a Panther on a Gazelle, my friend. 

Bam! Instant Emmy.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Omar designs his engagements specifically to not kill people; often letting his rep and the threat of force do his work for him.  Marlow kills to inspire fear and obedience. He kills on a whim.  He kills to deal with potential rivals and threats even if that potential is virtually non-existent.  He kills people who aren't "in the game", so to speak.  Very different from Omar.

40 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Don't get me started on the Greeks...

They got a lot right about them.  The actors were perfect.  Their mannerisms and their english-speaking greek accents were pretty good.  However, watching those guys attempt the Greek language, my only thought was, "I'm glad my father isn't watching this with me because I could do without so much screaming at the TV thanks".

They wouldn't even have had to spend money on a Greek language coach.

Step 1: Go down to the local Orthodox Church or community center (often the same place)

Step 2: Announce you need some old guys as extras to fill out the diner scenes. There'll be coffee and they'll get fed.

Step 3: Just park them there while the scenes are being filmed and let nature do the work.

Maybe 3 syllables later these guys would spring into action like a Panther on a Gazelle, my friend. 

Bam! Instant Emmy.

If it makes you feel any better, The Greek is almost certainly Armenian, based on his conversation with the Turkish "Shepard." It's never explicitly established but he does say that he's not actually greek. 

I always assumed Vondas was greek and the Sabotkas just assumed the boss was as well. 

3 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Matrix: Revolution has some great Agent Smith scenes but everything else is hot garbage. The Cain subplot was infuriating stupid. I understand "not to bright" but come on.

I submit the case for the prosecution: https://i.imgur.com/8Of8Q1z.png

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

If it makes you feel any better, The Greek is almost certainly Armenian, based on his conversation with the Turkish "Shepard." It's never explicitly established but he does say that he's not actually greek. 

I always assumed Vondas was greek and the Sabotkas just assumed the boss was as well. 

Godd points. I can't say if they actually introduced the old man as "the greek" or if that was an assumption the greeks never bothered to correct.

6 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Animatrix is really great.

I enjoy one Justin Bieber song "Love Yourself".

That's fair .

Never watched the animatrix . Should I ?

I don't like wine .

Archived