Colony [spoilers]

Vaughn

That was a very dark episode of 'Colony'. The Russian roulette bit was hard to watch. I did like Synder's matter of fact presentation of his motives, etc... though - he's a better character when given some agency beyond seeming duplicitous. Was the Occupation going to wipe out the camp regardless or did Snyder give Vince the wrong code word to wipe out the camp? He had given him the line about how different resolutions could be negotiated but it was a bloodbath. 

I'm also surprised to the extent that they seem to have resolved most of the plot from the start of the season.

I think the code was simply wipe out everyone. He knew it was coming, hence the eraser ear plugs he put in right before the sound started. Definitely a darker episode. I didn't expect Charlie to die, that was like damn....they actually did it. I mean it makes sense that someone in the family has to die, odds say so. But to see a 11-12 year old shot dead on screen, ouch, and then to see his bled out body under the tarp, I mean damn.

After this episode I am looking forward to more because that was a shocker for me. Interested to see where they take this.

Also stark that the most harrowing, grimmest episode is all human on human violence, nothing to do with the aliens really. I mean, I'm sure that was the point the writers were going for damn was it underlined. 

The show went right up the classic 'kids in peril' tension line a la Spielberg and then just went way, way over it. What's tricky in a way is that I think once someone has killed your 11 year old, you have to be a fundamentally more vengeful, damaged character - I wonder if they can pull that off with these characters without this becoming relentlessly grim. 

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Also stark that the most harrowing, grimmest episode is all human on human violence, nothing to do with the aliens really. I mean, I'm sure that was the point the writers were going for damn was it underlined. 

The show went right up the classic 'kids in peril' tension line a la Spielberg and then just went way, way over it. What's tricky in a way is that I think once someone has killed your 11 year old, you have to be a fundamentally more vengeful, damaged character - I wonder if they can pull that off with these characters without this becoming relentlessly grim. 

Yep, no more cute bedtime stories. Will be interesting to see which parent they choose to have break and which one stays strong, hiding the pain. Both are candidates for both scenarios.

The people in this show match up well to The Walking Dead in that, in the post invasion/zombie world the biggest danger is people. The zombies leave you alone if they can't see or hear you. The aliens leave you alone if you follow their rules. But the humans lie, cheat, steal, murder etc...

Loving this show. Dropped it after a fairly dull Season 1, but when I heard that Season 2 was up for the Best TV Show Saturn I thought I'd have another look. Really glad I did, this is cracking stuff.

This show is veritably watchable... it varies from eye-rolling-ly silly, to pretty darn good... but lately its been less of the former and more of the latter... offing Charlie was a ballsy move.... I really love the basic story (alien occupation)... and its done so much better than Falling Skies...

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, surely Will isn't going to kill Snyder and yet, why wouldn't he? This last episode also tricked my into thinking the Snyder scenes were flashbacks until he showed up at the end. 

I had thought the doctor was a double agent but I'm starting to think she's for real. 

It is definitely grimmer now that Charlie's dead although the Bram moves out plot seems a bit quick. Then again, I'm not sure if this is a month later or like 6 at this point. 

On 6/22/2018 at 5:38 PM, Vaughn said:

I mean, surely Will isn't going to kill Snyder and yet, why wouldn't he? This last episode also tricked my into thinking the Snyder scenes were flashbacks until he showed up at the end. 

I had thought the doctor was a double agent but I'm starting to think she's for real. 

It is definitely grimmer now that Charlie's dead although the Bram moves out plot seems a bit quick. Then again, I'm not sure if this is a month later or like 6 at this point. 

Snyders character is too good on the show to kill him off, so he will weasel out again.

I also thought she was a double but no more.

I think they said this is 6 months later in the first ep after Charlie died.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:00 AM, Martini Sigil said:

This show is veritably watchable... it varies from eye-rolling-ly silly, to pretty darn good... but lately its been less of the former and more of the latter... offing Charlie was a ballsy move.... I really love the basic story (alien occupation)... and its done so much better than Falling Skies...

Yeah it handles some stuff really bad but the overall story is pretty good especially now that we are getting word that these aren't even the bad aliens, that they are being stalked by another alien race and are simply using humans as labor.

If this show wasn't on in the summer when other shows are off I would've stopped after season 1.

Archived