Favorite Character ranked poll

Katerine459

Taking advantage of a new Ranked Choice polling site, and made a "ranked favorite character" poll. Just for fun. :) This one's different from other polls in that you rank your choices and the winner is determined through a process of elimination.

https://rcv-app.firebaseapp.com/poll/-LDwyvxC4wvCpqZ7iIM3

FYI, the characters listed are the book POV characters who a) exist in both the books and the TV show, and b) have at least 2 POV chapters. So if your absolute favorite isn't on there, that's the only reason why. :)

Edit: if you've already voted, and just want to see the most recent results, they are here: https://rcv-app.firebaseapp.com/poll/-LDwyvxC4wvCpqZ7iIM3/results

Thanks for participating! :)

8 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

My favorite three are:

1. Daenerys
  2. Barristan
  3. Eddard

I'm really disappointed that so many people like Jaime Lannister.  Oh well.  How sad.

I wouldn't worry yet. :) Only 13 people have voted so far, which is still a pretty small sample size. When we've gotten at least 30, I think, that's when the results will truly mean something. :) Thanks for participating! (speaking as somebody who ranked Jaime #7 out of 15... I do really, really like him, it's just that there are 6 others I like more).

Thanks again for participating! All others, please keep them coming!

3 minutes ago, Katerine459 said:

I wouldn't worry yet. :) Only 13 people have voted so far, which is still a pretty small sample size. When we've gotten at least 30, I think, that's when the results will truly mean something. :) Thanks for participating! (speaking as somebody who ranked Jaime #7 out of 15... I do really, really like him, it's just that there are 6 others I like more).

Thanks again for participating! All others, please keep them coming!

So who made your top three?  

1. The Imp.

2. The Onion Knight.

3. The Dark Lord.

4. The Kingslayer.

5. The Prince of Fools. 

6. The Spider. 

7. The Red Viper.

8. The Queen of Thorns. 

9. The Hound.  

10. The Old Lion.

11. The Cat of the Canals. 

12. The Red Woman. 

13. The Griffin Reborn. 

14. All the POV's that aren't above. Maybe Jon and Ned are in some special place. 

1. Davos. He is a normal guy and the conscience of the series. I actually kind of relate to him. As well as a young woman can relate to a middle-aged man living in a feudal society.      

2. Ned Stark. Again he had unwavering morals deeply loved his family. He was too good for ASOIAF's world.

3. Ser Grandfather. Another one with strong morals. I love his interactions with Dany and his reminiscing about the past. It really makes the world feel so much richer. I hope to see him interact more with his Knights-in-training in TWOW.

4. Jon Snow. Jon is such a pure and good character. He is such a stark contrast to the thieves, rapists and Bowen Marshes which make up the largest part of the Watch. He is open-minded and sees the bigger picture better than any other character in the whole series. He is Azor Ahai.

5. Sam. Being shy and bookish myself, I can relate a bit to Sam. He is a true friend to all who give him a chance and is fiercely loyal. Everybody needs a Sam.

6. Dany. She is a strong force against slavery and seeing her grow and become more cunning is so enjoyable to read. One of my favourite chapters in the entire series is the one where she acquires the Unsullied by turning Drogon against the Masters and shocking everyone. Her "The Queen must don her floppy ears" moments always makes me laugh.

7. Arya. While I don't like how hardened she's become to death and murder (because she is a murderer. let's not forget that), I like how fierce she is and how clever. She's probably the smartest Stark and I hope she changes her path.

8. Brienne. I think most of us can agree that she is the truest 'Knight' alive today. She's kind and caring despite how the world shuns her. She isn't great socially and can be a little naive but I find that endearing. It's too bad her chapters can be kind of dull.

9. Tyrion. While he started off a fantastic, he's gotten darker and darker as the books have gone on. It almost feels like he's on an opposite arch to Jaime. He's very witty and funny and his short stint as Hand was wonderful to read, but he's become rather cruel. Turning into the monster people think he is.

10. Jaime. He was almost universally hated in AGOT for pushing Bran but ever since he met Brienne and lost his hand he's become a lot of likeable. I love his internal monologues about his early role in the Kingsguard. He is so misunderstood by the other characters. I'm glad he's away from Cersei now. I hope Lady Stoneheart doesn't kill him in TWOW.

11. Sansa. Like Jaime, she's gotten more likeable as the books have gone on. I didn't like her at all in the first two books and the way she thought about her family was awful. She was also very elitist and vain. Although her change hasn't been as remarkable as Jaime's, she's still a lot better than she was in earlier books. I hope she's the one behind Littlefinger's downfall.

12. Bran. I didn't have much of an opinion on him in earlier books. What happened to him was very sad and I guess I liked him but he didn't really stand out. How he treats Hodor in later books is abhorrent.

13. Catelyn. Despite being savvier than Ned she still made irrational decisions. While she loved her all her children, something must have gone wrong because Arya believes that Cat didn't like her. Not to mention her treatment of Jon. The chapter when she first sees Ned's bones is heartbreaking. 

14. Cersei. She is one of the characters that I can conclusively say is evil. She doesn't love Jaime. Or her father. Or even her children. How she so nonchalantly gave Felyse away to be tortured and experimented on by Qyburn was truly scary. However, her inner thoughts are quite entertaining - hence not being last.

15. Theon. I just think he's an asshole. His ACOK chapters are annoying and I just want to slap him after every sentence. He's arrogant and murdered those poor mill boys in cold blood. I don't care if he's not a kinslayer; he murdered innocent children. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update. 54 people have voted so far, and here are the current results. If you haven't yet voted, it is an ongoing poll, and I'll try to post updates every few weeks or so (depending on whether the results have changed significantly).

First round, Dany is leading with 24 votes, Jon has 8, Jaime and Davos have 5, Arya has 4, Tyrion 3, and Barristan, Cersei, Sam, Eddard, and Bran have 1 each. Nobody has a majority out of 54 voters, so we start eliminating.

1. First, everybody who got 0 first-place votes gets eliminated. Sorry, Sansa, Catelyn, Brienne, and Theon. You never stood a chance.
  2. Barristan, Cersei, Sam, Eddard, and Bran are all tied for last place with 1 vote each. Each gets eliminated, one at a time (in a random order), and their votes are redistributed according to how that voter did their rankings. First one picked at random is Barristan, whose second-place vote went to Dany, upping her total to 25.
  3. Next Sam gets picked for elimination. The person who voted for him, voted for Tyrion next, upping Tyrion's total to 4.
  4. Next Bran is eliminated. His vote goes to Jaime, upping Jaime's total to 6.
  5. Next Cersei is eliminated. The very strange person who picked her as their favorite character, chose Arya as their next-favorite (of the non-eliminated characters), upping Arya's total to 5.
  6. Finally Eddard, the last person to have only 1 first-place vote, gets eliminated. His vote goes to Jon, upping Jon's total to 9.
  7. Now, an update: everyone has been eliminated except Dany (25), Jon (9), Jaime (6), Davos (5), Arya (5), and Tyrion (4).
  8. Tyrion's now in last place, so he gets eliminated, and his 4 votes go to Arya (2) and Jon (1). It appears that one person didn't much like anybody after Tyrion, because only 3 votes got redistributed.
  9. Davos (5) is now in last place, so he gets eliminated. His votes go to Jaime (2) and Jon (3).
  10. Arya (7) now gets eliminated. Her votes go to Jaime (3), Jon (3), and Dany (1).
  11. Update: it's down to the top 3. Dany's still in the lead with 26 votes. Jon's still in second with 16, and Jaime's in third with 11.
  12. Jaime (11) is eliminated, and his votes go to Dany (1), and Jon (7). The other 3 didn't choose anybody (not already eliminated) after Jaime. That seems like a lot for Jon, but it's not enough to offset the huge lead Dany had, and...

Dany wins, with 27 votes to Jon's 23!

Want to change it? Want to keep it the same? Please go vote... polls are still open! :) 

https://rcv-app.firebaseapp.com/poll/-LDwyvxC4wvCpqZ7iIM3

FYI, the characters listed are the book POV characters who a) exist in both the books and the TV show, and b) have at least 2 POV chapters. So if your absolute favorite isn't on there, that's the only reason why. :)

Edit: if you've already voted, and just want to see the most recent results, they are here: https://rcv-app.firebaseapp.com/poll/-LDwyvxC4wvCpqZ7iIM3/results

Thanks for participating! :)

The Academy Awards does RCV, yes. :) It's also used for political elections in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and a few other places, and just got implemented in Maine, USA for statewide elections, and it's also being done in several scattered cities for local elections. It has a large number of mathematical and social advantages over simple pluralities, and I wish it were being implemented more. Politicians on both sides hate it, though, because it makes it harder to cheat the system.

Wrong Lannister. Tyrion is the best. :P

• 2 months later...
  1. Tyrion Lannister
  2. Barristan Selmy
  3. Brienne of Tarth
  4. Arya Stark
  5. Cersei Lannister
  6. Eddard (Ned) Stark
  7. Jaime Lannister
  8. Davos Seaworth
  9. Jon Snow
  10. Samwell (Sam) Tarly
  11. Daenerys Targaryen
  12. Theon Greyjoy
  13. Bran Stark
  14. Sansa Stark
  15. Catelyn Stark

but if I had to choose from all characters who are in the story.

1. Robert Baratheon

2. Littlefinger

3. Tormund Giantsbane

4. Genna Lannister

5. Euron Greyjoy

6. Olenna Tyrell

7. Tyrion Lannister

8. Rickon Stark

9. Varys

10. Tywin Lannister

11. Victarion Greyjoy

12. Asha Greyjoy