Which single character’s action was the most shocking for you?

Canon Claude

It’s easy to talk about shocking events or twists in the story, but when it comes to single character’s actions, surprising you because you didn’t expect a character capable of doing that. Which of such actions was the most shocking to you?

For me, it was Tyrion’s treatment of that courtesan in Illyrio’s house. I figured Tyrion would be pretty messed up after how his story ended in ASOS, but he went further down the deep end than I expected.

Lysa's confessions about everything that she and LF did. 

The epilogue of ASOS. It's pretty jarring to see "Catelyn" come into the story again when Lysa has just been shoved out of the Moon Door by LF with those final words about he's ever only loved Catelyn. I don't know if it was meant to be ironic that two the chapter followed each other like that. 

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

It’s easy to talk about shocking events or twists in the story, but when it comes to single character’s actions, surprising you because you didn’t expect a character capable of doing that. Which of such actions was the most shocking to you?

For me, it was Tyrion’s treatment of that courtesan in Illyrio’s house. I figured Tyrion would be pretty messed up after how his story ended in ASOS, but he went further down the deep end than I expected.

I don't recall that courtesan.  I'm picking Ramsay's sick torturing of Theon Greyjoy.

I was personally very shocked when Roose let the women servants of Harrenhal be raped by his men. Not that I thought Roose was incapable of ordering that, but that the Westeros society used rape as a form of punishment for female smallfolks.

shameeka, the Lannisters allowed their men freedom to do as they pleased during the sack of KL.  Gregor did worse things when he terrorized the river lands.  The Ironborn would do no less harm given the chance.  War is hell and brings out the savage in people.  

I think it would have to be when Stannis actually prepared to go forward with the burning of Edric Storm. It's clear that he doesn't want to do it, but I figured that he would ultimately not do it anyway, since he would use Edric as proof of Robert's strong seed. When he actually prepared to do it, I was so relieved that Davos took action to save the Edric and remind Stannis what his duty was as king. 

Robert ordering the murder of Lady. The moment you realise this tale is written by someone who isn't wearing silk gloves. And the grey moral you have to puzzle at in both Robert and Ned. Its the first big goggle.

6 hours ago, Kandrax said:

This is show-only thing.

Just looked up ACOK Tyrion XIII.  You're right, he only tells Tyrion to fuck off.  ("Bugger the King's Hand... Fuck your water.  Bring me wine.")  The point is I didn't expect Sandor to go craven when facing death, even by fire.

7 hours ago, Sigella said:

Robert ordering the murder of Lady. The moment you realise this tale is written by someone who isn't wearing silk gloves.

A little boy being pushed out of a window by a naked inestuous pair of siblings didn’t convince you of that?

41 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

A little boy being pushed out of a window by a naked inestuous pair of siblings didn’t convince you of that?

They were villains, so no.

17 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Tyrion killing daddy.  I thought the little man was a hero.  I am not sure at all if a person who did that can really come back to the light.  Tywin was a cruel man but his money allowed Tyrion to live like a 1/3 scale Hugh Hefner. 

Tywin psychologically abused his son for years (I can not recall Tywing battering Tyroin of the top of my head) sure he paid for his expenses but I'd argue that is more about that being a way of displaying Lannister wealth (or rather if Tyrion was not allowed to spend freely the Lannisters would look poor) than Tywin in any way caring about his son in any way.

A husband psychologically traumatizing his wife isn't more "okay" just because he pays for luxury shopping.

Tyrion killing a man he had just seen engage in some pretty blatant hypocrisy with the whole "Shea Tysha"-situation is hardly the most shocking or repugnant things one of the "good guys" have done.

An often overlooked gesture was pre-wedding (you could argue Sansa felt forced to decline obviously) Tyrion telling poor Sansa “ you don’t have to marry me if you can’t handle this crazy stuff” and giving his word he’d get a better looking cousin or something. Followed by his awkward yet strictly in-universe it would be a very noble gesture of “sorry you had to marry me bc I’m ugly af but you have your choice to consummate our marriage whenever you choose” 

Im not defending Tyrion’s entire moral compass but if anything he didn’t (intentionally) further hurt an already emotionally and even physically shattered Sansa. 

Even the denial of her bedding in the wedding in front of his whole family is very selfless and caring however reckless it may have been 

Archived