Which single character’s action was the most shocking for you?

Canon Claude

Cutting jamies hand off

For such a minor character to cripple the lord of a powerful vengeful  and massively wealthy family made no sense to me ,i get the political desire to ensue bad blood between roose and tywin etc it just strikes me as something a merc woupdnt consider

Even if his plan works hes made himself the focus of an immemsely powerful enemy  for life and is surrounded by money focused professional killers anyway!!

11 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Im not defending Tyrion’s entire moral compass but if anything he didn’t (intentionally) further hurt an already emotionally and even physically shattered Sansa. 

I agree with you here, strongly. It really shocked me that Sansa would have acted towards Tyrion with absolutely zero empathy or even comprehension. Sure, we know what Sansa has gone through; she's a POV. Typically, this permits someone to be more understanding of others, not less. Tyrion has taken such severe wounds, he's almost died. All Sansa sees is that he's uglier without a nose.

Getting Sansa/Winterfell is the chance of a lifetime, yet at her whim, he's willing to give it all up. She refuses to take advantage of his offer; why? Does she prefer to wallow in her misfortune in marrying into the richest, most powerful and pollitically connected family in Westeros?

Sansa is known for her parrot-like observances of the proprieties, her sterling manners. Only not to poor Tyrion. He's been even more "shattered" than Sansa, and this further drives him down so that by the time Tyrion reaches Essos, he's a wreck, physically, morally, mentally. And it's really sad, because the two of them would have been a power couple like King's Landing had never seen. As a result of her choices, Sansa is now the lesser part of a "power couple" with Littlefinger, whose main goals are to promote chaos and death. And snatch up more wealth and power, if it makes itself available. With Tyrion, Sansa might have helped him to further "justice."

On 6/1/2018 at 2:57 PM, Canon Claude said:

It’s easy to talk about shocking events or twists in the story, but when it comes to single character’s actions, surprising you because you didn’t expect a character capable of doing that. Which of such actions was the most shocking to you?

For me, it was Tyrion’s treatment of that courtesan in Illyrio’s house. I figured Tyrion would be pretty messed up after how his story ended in ASOS, but he went further down the deep end than I expected.

forcing hoat to eat part of himself was pretty brutal 

8 hours ago, zandru said:

I agree with you here, strongly. It really shocked me that Sansa would have acted towards Tyrion with absolutely zero empathy or even comprehension. Sure, we know what Sansa has gone through; she's a POV. Typically, this permits someone to be more understanding of others, not less. Tyrion has taken such severe wounds, he's almost died. All Sansa sees is that he's uglier without a nose.

Getting Sansa/Winterfell is the chance of a lifetime, yet at her whim, he's willing to give it all up. She refuses to take advantage of his offer; why? Does she prefer to wallow in her misfortune in marrying into the richest, most powerful and pollitically connected family in Westeros?

Sansa is known for her parrot-like observances of the proprieties, her sterling manners. Only not to poor Tyrion. He's been even more "shattered" than Sansa, and this further drives him down so that by the time Tyrion reaches Essos, he's a wreck, physically, morally, mentally. And it's really sad, because the two of them would have been a power couple like King's Landing had never seen. As a result of her choices, Sansa is now the lesser part of a "power couple" with Littlefinger, whose main goals are to promote chaos and death. And snatch up more wealth and power, if it makes itself available. With Tyrion, Sansa might have helped him to further "justice."

I think the bolded is a great observation and personally find it usually true. 

For the underlined I also completely agree with this and thought it would have been great. 

Arya (or weasel at that time??) cutting the guard's throat and shrugging it off. I should not have been shocked I guess with all the brutality going on, but it did. For me it killed the little girl character I had been holding on to. It may have been a little dusty in my reading room that night.

11 hours ago, jthurman14 said:

Arya (or weasel at that time??) cutting the guard's throat and shrugging it off.

Yes! But she doesn't really shrug it off; she worries it in her mind for some time and it comes back to her frequently as yet another reason her mother would not accept her anymore. (Along with her dirty, broken fingernails and messy hair.) In retrospect, it's funny that Sandor Clegane stated, apparently with some pride, that he'd killed his first man at the age of 12. Well, Arya's first kill was when she was only 9. And that was sort of shocking, too, although the fact that the stableboy had threatened to rape and kill her, and was older and much bigger made Arya's lethal response understandable (and more.)

Jaime pushing Bran out the window. It let me know this was no typical fantasy book. I know it was early, but that is what got me hooked. I guess when Daenerys initially stayed in Meereen it shocked me. Upon rereads I can see the setup, but on my first read it was shocking. The Red Wedding was insane on the first read. I did not see it coming at all despite Martin giving me plenty of hints of what was to come. 

4 hours ago, zandru said:

Yes! But she doesn't really shrug it off; she worries it in her mind for some time and it comes back to her frequently as yet another reason her mother would not accept her anymore. (Along with her dirty, broken fingernails and messy hair.) In retrospect, it's funny that Sandor Clegane stated, apparently with some pride, that he'd killed his first man at the age of 12. Well, Arya's first kill was when she was only 9. And that was sort of shocking, too, although the fact that the stableboy had threatened to rape and kill her, and was older and much bigger made Arya's lethal response understandable (and more.)

Yes; except the stuff about the stableboy: none of that is in the book. He was going to capture her and give her to the queen for a reward.

7 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Yes; except the stuff about the stableboy: none of that is in the book. He was going to capture her and give her to the queen for a reward.

I was referring to the Guard at Harrenhal she killed to escape. The stable boy was a shock too, but like was stated it was something she did not simply shrug off.

Archived