Meereen and the Great Skahazadhan

Meereen has a fairly dry and arid climate.  Similar to ancient Egypt.  Casual examination of the map shows the importance of the Skahazadhan River to the city.  Much the same way the Nile was important to Egypt.  Egypt is what I picture in my mind when I read those awesome chapters in Meereen.  But the textual description of the Great Pyramid is closer to the Mesoamerican pyramids of Teotihuacan.  The Egyptian pyramids do not have extensive living spaces inside, but the Mesoamerican structures could theoretically provide enough space to garrison soldiers and royal quarters at the top.  I am a fan of the Eastern arc of the story and I hope you share my interests in these seemingly small details.  :)

1. How do you picture in your mind the Great Pyramid of Meereen?
  2. Your favorite river in the story?  Mine being the Skahazadhan.  

1.  The Egyptian pyramids on steroids.  Topped by a palace like penthouse at the top.  Hanging gardens with water features and lovely landscaping.  

2.  The comparo with the great Nile is good.   Skahazadhan.

9 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Meereen has a fairly dry and arid climate.  Similar to ancient Egypt.  Casual examination of the map shows the importance of the Skahazadhan River to the city.  Much the same way the Nile was important to Egypt.  Egypt is what I picture in my mind when I read those awesome chapters in Meereen.  But the textual description of the Great Pyramid is closer to the Mesoamerican pyramids of Teotihuacan.  The Egyptian pyramids do not have extensive living spaces inside, but the Mesoamerican structures could theoretically provide enough space to garrison soldiers and royal quarters at the top.  I am a fan of the Eastern arc of the story and I hope you share my interests in these seemingly small details.  :)

1. Egyptian Great pyramid at Giza.  
  2. Rhoyne because of the history with the turtles, the Sorrows, etc.

Dany's pyramid is a stronghold.  The Indian pyramids were ceremonial in purpose.  Being a stronghold, Dany's pyramid will have barracks, servant's quarters, stables, throne rooms, and luxurious appointments. 

Most people are familiar with the pyramids in Egypt so that is what they see when they read those chapters.  I am not different in that regard.  The Mereenese pyramid is over 800 ft tall, roughly twice the Egyptian.  The taller it is, given the same angles, the greater the area at the base.  Enough room to stable horses and elephants, house an army, and what have you.

There are variations on the pyramid shape.  The angle of the sides can change its proportions.  Still, a pyramid of that size would have a base that covered many acres of land.  The real world pyramids are made of stone blocks.  The Meereenese pyramids are made of bricks.  

On 6/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Dany's pyramid looks nothing like anything we have on earth.  It's really a fortress.  Like the Stone of Tear in the wheel of time books.  

Your posting style is almost identical to the user Agent Orange. Are you both the same person?

Case in point, though not as wordy:

On 6/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, Agent Orange said:

So five fortresses of immense size.  The World of Ice and Fire gave very little information.  Let us speculate using all of the knowledge that we have from all of the written sources that we have.

1. Who built the forts and how long ago?
  2. Why were they built?  Who were they guarding against?

A lot of theorists believe the pyramids all over the world indicates the same architects.  Atlantis influencE and the like.  The pyramid is sturdy because it's stones stacked atop one another.  It is not strange for different people to come up with the same solution to the problem of building something this way.  If you take sand and drop it on a flat surface it forms a round cone.  The people who built pyramids saw how grains fall into cones and thought it could work for building tall structures.  The Meereenese structure is a pyramid even if it looks nothing like Egyptians and Mesoamerican examples.  

Archived