Shouldnt great houses have numerous wards?

Stormking902

For example the Ned should have had numerous wards like Dacey Mormont this would build stronger ties with house Mormont and they would jump to get her close to Robb, and little Jon Umber to build better ties with Last Hearth, Jojen Reed and most of all Domeric Bolton before his un timely death. Domeric for instance is a no brainer since house Bolton has had a history of betrayal and building ties should be priority one. 

Well Roose did send Domeric to the Vale but other than that yeah sure.

I think this might have been a oversight/"not wanting to clutter thing up" move on GRRM's part. Imagen AGoT with four extra kids running around Winterfell. It might just be too much to keep track of.

1 hour ago, Frey Kings said:

Sure, any house will be lucky to have any frey wards 

If I was Hoster id have a few hostages I mean "wards" of the late lord Frey, I wouldnt sup with them at my table but id find room for them some where in Riverunn. 

Jon Arryn with such a weak heir should be fostering numerous heirs of his vassals to try and establish long lasting friendships. 

11 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Jon Arryn with such a weak heir should be fostering numerous heirs of his vassals to try and establish long lasting friendships. 

Jon Arryn lived in King's Landing with Lysa and Robert before he died. I assume that the reason he didn't take more wards was that his duties as Hand took him most of the time. And living in the royal court, there would be already enough nobles from all Westeros to establish lasting friendships.

22 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Jon Arryn lived in King's Landing with Lysa and Robert before he died. I assume that the reason he didn't take more wards was that his duties as Hand took him most of the time. And living in the royal court, there would be already enough nobles from all Westeros to establish lasting friendships.

Yes I am aware Jon Arryn was in KL, lord Arryn is allowed to have his house hold with him it can be as small as 20 men or as large as 100 plus either or he could have had a few wards, the fact Jon was in KL might even be better for his Vassal lords since they get to see what a snakes pit KL really is and learn the game a bit better. 

2 hours ago, Frey Kings said:

Sure, any house will be lucky to have any frey wards 

And the children of those houses would be lucky to get fostered at the Twins as long as their families don't break their oaths to Lord Walder.  The Twins is not a bad place to spend a childhood.  There is good fishing for one.  And they can practice their archery on passing Crannogmen if things ever got boring.  

I think GRRM has more or less admitted that this is something of an oversight on his part.  Plus it would have cluttered things up, and having the Stark children isolated later on is an important part of their story.  It is a bit of a plot hole though.  One of many.

38 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I think GRRM has more or less admitted that this is something of an oversight on his part.  Plus it would have cluttered things up, and having the Stark children isolated later on is an important part of their story.  It is a bit of a plot hole though.  One of many.

Agreed good Ser 

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

With Ned I thought it was strictly a character thing.

Remember how Cat looks at it?  Every time Ned went to war he came back with another "son" (Jon, Theon).  Ned didn't foster out any of his children, likely due to his own issues regarding the destruction of his own family.  Other great houses are exchanging/fostering children.  Tywin sent Jaime to squire for Lord Crakehall, and important bannerman.  Jon Arryn planned to have Stannis Baratheon take Robyn as ward.  Quentyn Martell was sent as ward and squire to Lord Anders Yronwood, who personally knighted Quentyn.  Hoster Tully had Edmure squire for Brandon Stark in Winterfell.  These houses don't have stacks of wards, squires, and noble knights laying around, but they are exchanging children and take great pride in the training and education of the youths.  Even young ladies are serving as cup-bearers and pages for elder noblewomen.  Jaime tells Cersei balls-out that Tommen (as the fucking KING) needs to be a squire, and suggests the Knight of the Flowers. 

The same applies to middle and lesser noble houses.  Jon Arryn took Petyr Baelish as ward, an honor for an old wartime friend.  Domeric Bolton was a page for Barbrey Dustin, then squired for Lord Redfort in the Vale.  Young Lord Edric Dayne served as page to Beric Dondarrion from age 7 to 10, then became Beric's squire.  It goes on and on...

Ned is the exception, not the rule.  And I get the feeling that Brandon and Rickon would have likely found their way to another northern house, or the Vale.  But otherwise, there is a great deal of exchanging wards among Westerosi nobility. 

14 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

And the children of those houses would be lucky to get fostered at the Twins as long as their families don't break their oaths to Lord Walder.  The Twins is not a bad place to spend a childhood.  There is good fishing for one.  And they can practice their archery on passing Crannogmen if things ever got boring.  

Another plus for warding at the Twins. :D

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Someone needs to feed wards. Imagine if every house in North gives a ward.

That would be what about 60-ish kids. But Winterfell is huge and seems to have hundreds of staff. Feeding those kids wouldn't be a problem. Looking after them all without slighting anyone might be however.

4 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Someone needs to feed wards. Imagine if every house in North gives a ward.

Winterfell wouldnt be taking in every Vassals child just the ones they wanna build or improve ties with so taking Manderlys granddaughter, Domeric Bolton, lil Jon Umber, Dacey Mormont, perhaps a few mountain clans heirs, ETC.

To feed another 10 people or so isnt gonna make a difference to the Starks in the least, its only food and the Starks have enough of it. 

Archived