Selection of Rulers and Leaders

The Commentator

• By proving strength:  Khal Drogo and Mance Rayder.
  • Inherited right:  Feudalism and the Westeros nobility.  

There is something to be said for the method chosen by the Dothraki and the Wildlings.  Theirs is a simple way of life and the man who can beat all others in a fight is the one who can best maintain order and discipline.  It does not guarantee the smartest person will rule, but being smartest is not necessarily what makes a person a capable leader.  I would not follow Samwell into battle and he doesn't have the ability to maintain order and make people obey the rules.  

Inherited rights avoids violence in most cases and makes for a smooth transfer of authority.  It does not guarantee that the person has superior combat skills and intelligence.  But it results in less violence when things are going smooth.  It is more civilized.  Less disturbance of the peace.

Which method works better, in your opinion?  

Both of them are shit with civil war, strife and incompetent leaders as inevitable results.

The Ironborn might be some of the most awful people around but the Kingsmoot isn't a bad idea. It should act as a safety check to ensure that no totally unfit leaders as selected.

I agree with @Ylath's Snout, Kingsmoot is superior to the other options, particulary if only invoked when absolutely necessary.  Otherwise go with inherited right - it gives a clear succession plan such that future leaders can be properly educated and trained, or befall some unfortunate "accident" (or disinherited) if they reveal themselves to be incapable of ruling.  Using the occasional great council like a Kingsmoot works too when necessary.

Both systems have beyond a few flaws. That said, the choice between the two I'd have to go with inherited right. At least under that system, in theory the ruler is groomed for said rule and stands a better chance at doing better.

I was going to say something similar to @Lord Lannisterin that while I'm not generally a monarchist, the advantage in terms of fitness to rule is that those who inherit do at least have the advantage of being prepared to command to some degree. The downside of course is that it also includes an inbuilt sexual discrimination in most cases and the prospect of regents doing what they please when underage heirs succeed.

Archived