Sign in to follow this  
RedEyedGhost

June '18 Reading - Something something witty.

Reread neverending story a couple weeks ago, then The Disaster Artist and then Philip K Dick’s Ubik and bought two more of his books to read soon but right now I’m reading Pride a companion piece of sorts to the excellent film from a few years back 

I've not read much new fiction this year, but I did finish Valente's Space Opera recently.  I liked it quite a bit, though I thought the second half wasn't quite up to the level of the first half.

21 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think it does take a while to get into the mindset of the series. I think each book is better than the previous one (particularly the third and fourth books).

I thought the first three books of the Long Price were very good, but I've never been able to finish the fourth.

I started The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler, #2 of Shadow Campaigns.  I dropped it at 25% by Kindle count, so probably 30% of the actual book.  Although I enjoyed the military campaign setting in the first book, this one is just a generic palace intrigue with stock characters, plus the main POV has spent the entire time so far veering between survivor guilt and infatuation for her twue wove.  I kept waiting for it to get better but life is short.  It took me almost two weeks to read that far because it just couldn’t hold my attention and I’d switch to work non-fiction instead.  If you’re a fantasy author losing your reader to technical treatises on yield curve dynamics, then shame on you.  

Next I read Kemp: The Road To Crecy by Jonathan Lunn.  A new author to me, a purveyor of historical fiction quite similar to Bernard Cornwell.  In fact, key events in this book are very similar to the first book about Thomas Of Hookton, but without the Grail conspiracy.  The invasion of Normandy, sack of Caen, fording of the Somme and battle of Crecy are all there.  Plus the POV character is quite like Richard Sharpe transplanted to the 100 years war.  But quite well done and it was a decent read.  There are more in this Kemp series. 

Finished The Great Hunt and tried to take a break from my WoT reread.  Didn't work.  Now I'm reading The Dragon Reborn.  I guess I'll just continue like this and if I want to stop at some point I will.  Sure I will.

I read Lois McMaster Bujold's new Vorkosigan novella, The Flowers of Vashnoi. The plot and setting recall the early Miles Vorkosigan story The Mountains of Mourning, I think it's perhaps not quite as good as that story, it's lighter in tone which perhaps lowers the stakes a bit but I still liked it. While a new Miles story would have been welcome, it was interesting to read something written from Ekaterin's perspective.