Cricket 33: ODIs Still Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Paxter

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Have to do a double-post just to say that this has been a fucking magnificent series so far. What a shame that it is only two matches. 

Yes, it's been a good series to watch.

Another terrible batting innings by Australia. They're really missing Warner and Smith who were far and away the best two batsmen in the side. To concede a 140 run lead is pretty bad considering they would normally have been happy with bowling Pakistan out for 280.

Yes that was abject. They’re still in the match, but probably need to restrict the lead to around 250 unless they can reprise their Dubai fourth innings performance.

Certainly the draw is not in play!

Labuschagne's runout was criminal, too. Must be pretty embarrassing to have video footage of you carefully watching the ball go onto the stumps while your bat is over the line but in the air.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:27 AM, Jeor said:

Labuschagne's runout was criminal, too. Must be pretty embarrassing to have video footage of you carefully watching the ball go onto the stumps while your bat is over the line but in the air.

I think Azhar Ali has now ensured that when people think of embarrassing run-outs in this match it won't be Labuschagne they think of.

Despite that I think it's hard to see how Pakistan could be in a more dominant position in the match.

Australia went down very quickly after all that. Some really soft dismissals including Paine leaving a straight ball to be clean bowled - this Test has had more than its fair share of brain fade moments!

Hard to know what to make of that series. It’s tempting to say that Australia is completely awful and that the 1-0 scoreline flatters them. On the other hand, you could argue they were well in the series and could have gone on to win it if they’d capitalised on Lyon’s Day One heroics in Abu Dhabi.

I’m pleased for Pakistan that they got the job done. Abbas is simply an amazing find.

England were probably going to win it easily anyway. once Root had been given that reprieve...

Re Australia/Pakistan, I think I have to go there Pax and say that Australia really were quite awful. They had no business saving that draw in the First Test and were never in sight of winning the match or being at least even. And apart from one session in the Second Test, they were outplayed throughout that Test as well. The Marsh brothers didn't score a run and the batting overall was woeful, Siddle, Starc and Holland were toothless, and the debutants were patchy. It's hard to imagine a worse series; Lyon's bowling and Khawaja's century were the only real highlights.

All that being said, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt given there were a lot of debutants and it was an away series in subcontinental-style conditions (never Australia's forte). I expect in home conditions against India, Australia will pull together a bit more...but it's going to be a very tough series.

It’s a bit weird to see England winning so comfortably in Sri Lanka. The matches being abbreviated does play to England’s strengths but you think of Sri Lanka as being tough conditions for English players and I always think of Sri Lanka as a strong ODI side, they’re pretty poor now unfortunately.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, ljkeane said:

It’s a bit weird to see England winning so comfortably in Sri Lanka. The matches being abbreviated does play to England’s strengths but you think of Sri Lanka as being tough conditions for English players and I always think of Sri Lanka as a strong ODI side, they’re pretty poor now unfortunately.

Well England did manage to lose the final match quite handsomely, but the series was done and dusted by then. Or perhaps 'done and mudded' given all the rain. 

Meanwhile Australia seem to have brought their test form straight into the T20s with a humiliating defeat against top-ranked Pakistan. So far it's been a tough start for JL as coach - at least they managed to win against the UAE!

For those of us who have long disliked the way that CA run Australian cricket, today's release of an independent review into CA's culture is a moment of vindication. I particularly liked the list of 'shadow values' that were compiled to demonstrate how toxic CA's culture has become:

COMMAND AND CONTROL

The best decisions are top down

Give the 'right' person all the power to make the big calls

Experts know best

Leave it to management

ONLY RESULTS MATTER

Sport is a business - so get over it

Always be winning and ignore the costs

Only do it if it helps us to win

Good blokes get the win

HIGH PERFORMANCE IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR

The men's team get paid enough to suffer

That's all we expect of our 'boys'

Numbers matter most

AUSTRALIA NEEDS US TO WIN

The psychological well-being of the nation depends on us

POPULARITY MATTERS

The best = most popular

Be a good bloke

INDIVIDUAL FIRST

Act in your self-interest

Individual performance matters most

Don't share if you don't have to

Collaboration is for losers

Focus on your own patch

COMBATIVENESS AND AGGRESSION IS GOOD

Bow to the Alpha male

Aggression wins the day

Compete for everything

Power gets things done

Don't get caught

UNLEASH THE BEAST

Be a tactical, technical or strong-arm leader

Be sly and tough

Only those 'tough enough' can handle the truth

De-humanise your opponent

KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN

Don't stick your head up

Don't challenge or let yourself be challenged

WE'RE GREAT ON DIVERSITY

Diversity is women's cricket

Diversity is good for the bottom line

I think its mainly the player's association making noise. So short sighted. They should STFU and let the players serve their ban. That way atleast they would've served their time and can come back without too much baggage (there will always be some baggage unavoidably). If they somehow get the ban reduced, there will always be doubt that they didn't do their time. 

Edit: what bugs me about Peever's situation is he actually got his contract renewed. Like, WTF was CA smoking? Fucking clueless.

Renewing Peever's tenure before the review was released was an epic bungle of the highest order, but at least he had the sense (or others had the sense to push him) to resign relatively promptly once the mistake had been recognised.

Rather than put a celebrity cricketer in the role, I think the chairman should be a business/governance/management professional who only has a fan's connection to cricket. It's pretty clear that there's a lot of insider trouble regarding the culture of Australian cricket and the organisation probably needs a thorough shakeup that only an external person who has a thorough knowledge of management etc can give. He's a bit too old, but someone like John Howard would have had the gravitas to pull it off.

Archived