Cricket 33: ODIs Still Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Paxter

So with the series win over Pakistan, if I recall news reports correctly this is the first away series win NZ has achieved in over 40 years. It's interesting that during the 80s (OMG, 30 years ago!!!) NZ went for almost a decade without losing a home series. But before, during and after was unable to secure a single away test series win (Pretty sure they've won away ODI and T20 series).

So pretty historic.

47 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So with the series win over Pakistan, if I recall news reports correctly this is the first away series win NZ has achieved in over 40 years. It's interesting that during the 80s (OMG, 30 years ago!!!) NZ went for almost a decade without losing a home series. But before, during and after was unable to secure a single away test series win (Pretty sure they've won away ODI and T20 series).

So pretty historic.

New Zealand has beaten the likes of the Windies, Bangladesh and Zim in test series away from home in recent years. Maybe it's their first away series win for a long time against stronger opposition?

I think the better stat for NZ is that they have won five of their last six test series (against Bangladesh, Windies, Pakistan twice and England). Give them more test cricket to play!

Well I'm going to have to eat my words. I didn't see a few things coming in this match, especially Ashwin's strong performance and India's ability to post competitive scores without any significant contributions from Virat. 

Excited now for the Perth test starting Friday. 

That was a great Test although India always seemed to have the game under control, only at the very end did it start to get nerve-wracking for them.

They'll be delighted with the performances in this match. They won without Kohli scoring. Pujara and Rahane have immediately found good form in the middle order and all 20 Australian wickets were spread around the four bowlers more or less equally. The only thing that should worry India at this stage are their openers; four Tests is not a long time to fix things but they won't want to keep giving away wickets early in an innings.

Australia will be less happy but showed some good bowling and tail-end fight. The batting is still a mess, though it was good that Head managed a score (and I guess Marsh prolongs his stay of execution).

Perth is going to be really entertaining and I'm glad it's only three days in between matches - I want to see the next one!

15 hours ago, Paxter said:

New Zealand has beaten the likes of the Windies, Bangladesh and Zim in test series away from home in recent years. Maybe it's their first away series win for a long time against stronger opposition?

I think the better stat for NZ is that they have won five of their last six test series (against Bangladesh, Windies, Pakistan twice and England). Give them more test cricket to play!

I'm guessing maybe it's their first away win against Pakistan in that time period? NZ have definitely won in England within the last 40 years (in 1999 just as the Duncan Fletcher era was about to start rebuilding England).

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'm guessing maybe it's their first away win against Pakistan in that time period? NZ have definitely won in England within the last 40 years (in 1999 just as the Duncan Fletcher era was about to start rebuilding England).

Yeah that sounds right. 

The fallout from Australia's loss at Adelaide has been interesting. There haven't been many reactionary calls for players to be dropped or criticism of the captain/coaching staff. The media and the public seem to be at peace with the idea that Australia lost a close test at home, didn't play that well (nor badly) and were humble in defeat. Maybe some good has come from sandpapergate?

14 hours ago, Paxter said:

The fallout from Australia's loss at Adelaide has been interesting. There haven't been many reactionary calls for players to be dropped or criticism of the captain/coaching staff. The media and the public seem to be at peace with the idea that Australia lost a close test at home, didn't play that well (nor badly) and were humble in defeat. Maybe some good has come from sandpapergate?

I think the Australian public are beginning to take this in their stride and are lowering their expectations, which is probably a healthy thing. Most people know India are the top Test side in the world right now, with the world's best batsman (Kohli) and a good bowling attack. Most Australians know that we aren't going to be blowing away the Indian side like the old days, so to have a hard-fought, close match like the one just past was pretty good. To be honest, a hard-fought home summer with lowered expectations for the Australians is probably the best thing that could have happened for them.

Big blows for India with both Rohit and Ashwin out for Perth. Curiously I think it could work to India’s advantage. Vihari looks a good bat to me and was composed on debut in England. And a fourth seamer or an all rounder (Jadeja) could be useful in Perth.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Big blows for India with both Rohit and Ashwin out for Perth. Curiously I think it could work to India’s advantage. Vihari looks a good bat to me and was composed on debut in England. And a fourth seamer or an all rounder (Jadeja) could be useful in Perth.

Rohit Sharma is a real talent but he's been in a minor slump (no 50s in his past 6 innings) so will probably not be a great loss.

Ashwin is more significant in that he's a real workhorse who gets through a lot of overs at a decent economy rate. With Ashwin bowling so many overs in Adelaide and locking up one end, the three seamers were able to stay fresh with relatively short spells.

You would think that Jadeja has to be the frontrunner given he's a like-for-like swap - a frontline spinner who offers real batting strength at 8. If they played Yadav, they'd have quite a long tail. Kumar can bat a bit though so if they go for four seamers, he'd be it.

Well shows how much I know. They've decided to go for Yadav, which I think is a big mistake.

Really long tail and with four seamers there isn't as much variation. Jadeja is an excellent bowler and a good batsman; with his sort of Test figures (185 wickets in 39 matches at a sub-24 average, as well as batting average 30+) I would have thought the only reason he wasn't in the team already was because Ashwin had much the same record.

I know India will think it was a "brave" decision to go for four seamers on a Perth surface but I think it's quite silly. Australia have great pace bowlers but are still playing Nathan Lyon. No one would have thought of dropping him just because it was Perth.

16 hours ago, Jeor said:

Well shows how much I know. They've decided to go for Yadav, which I think is a big mistake.

Really long tail and with four seamers there isn't as much variation. Jadeja is an excellent bowler and a good batsman; with his sort of Test figures (185 wickets in 39 matches at a sub-24 average, as well as batting average 30+) I would have thought the only reason he wasn't in the team already was because Ashwin had much the same record.

I know India will think it was a "brave" decision to go for four seamers on a Perth surface but I think it's quite silly. Australia have great pace bowlers but are still playing Nathan Lyon. No one would have thought of dropping him just because it was Perth.

There does seem something weird about being in an era where England are playing three spinners and India are playing none (admittedly in very different conditions).

Fantastic article on Cricinfo lamenting India’s recent selection woes. When viewed over a period of time, it really is a disaster:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25532276/removed-my-spinner

The reticence to play classy test batsmen such as Pujara and Rahane over the flash-in-the-pan Dhawan, Raina and Rohit is just criminal!

On 12/10/2018 at 4:51 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

So pretty historic.

It's our first away win against Pakistan since 1969. Not our first away win generally.

A complete list of New Zealand overseas series victories:

1. Pakistan (1969-1970) 
  2. Sri Lanka (1983-1984)
  3. Australia (1985-1986)
  4. England (1986)
  5. Zimbabwe (1992-1993)
  6. England (1999)
  7. Zimbabwe (2000-2001)
  8. West Indies (2002)
  9. Bangladesh (2004-2005)
  10. Zimbabwe (2005)
  11. Bangladesh (2008-2009)
  12. West Indies (2014)
  13. Zimbabwe (2016)
  14. Pakistan (2018-2019)

We have never won an away test series against India or South Africa (in fact, we have never won a series against South Africa, full stop).

On 12/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, Paxter said:

Fantastic article on Cricinfo lamenting India’s recent selection woes. When viewed over a period of time, it really is a disaster:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25532276/removed-my-spinner

The reticence to play classy test batsmen such as Pujara and Rahane over the flash-in-the-pan Dhawan, Raina and Rohit is just criminal!

Australia in the box seat with a 175 run lead and 6 wickets in hand.

I think the Australian bowlers will have some confidence having kept the Indian batting lineup more or less under control this series. A fourth innings chase in excess of 300+ will be a tough ask, especially with that long tail. As expected, it folded very quickly in the first innings.

Archived