Cricket 33: ODIs Still Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Paxter

Normal service resumed for India away from home after a cracking first test. They desperately need runs from someone other than Kohli to even have a chance in this series now. 

On team selection: yeah India definitely got carried away after Ashwin’s performance at Edgbaston. They should have examined Pakistan’s win at Lord’s earlier in the season as a template (but of course, you can never tell India they have anything to learn from Pakistan...)

Stokes not guilty. I’m guessing the ECB will now clear him to play at Nottingham? Or will there be more sanctions?

Cricket-wise, it probably won’t make much of a difference. India just look hopeless at the moment.

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

Stokes not guilty. I’m guessing the ECB will now clear him to play at Nottingham? Or will there be more sanctions?

Cricket-wise, it probably won’t make much of a difference. India just look hopeless at the moment.

Unsurprisingly, he has now been added to the squad. 

The ECB are going to investigate him and Alex Hales now that the court case has ended,  he might get some criticism from that,  but I'm guessing probably no further suspensions.

3 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

Surely they'd have to take into account the matches he was unavailable for, keeping him from more than 5 tests seems extreme.

I think that's true, although I'm not sure missing the last Ashes series was much of a punishment given how it turned out - of course we'll never know how much difference Stokes might have made if he had played.

I'm not quite sure how nobody has been convicted of affray given the video of the three of them fighting in the street.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they still don't play him in the next test. Woakes and Curran have done pretty well and they're 2-0 up so it's not like they're desperate for him to come back in, playing a test match a couple of days after your trial finishes seems like a big ask.

Yeah I think they should stick with Woakes and Curran for the next test too. Both of them could be important reserve players (if not first XI) in next year’s Ashes, so it’s worth giving them match time, though I personally wouldn’t play them in tests outside of England.

Pretty annoyed (fuming) at this offhand comment from Manjrekar in a recent Cricinfo article, trying to make excuses for India:

Why, Pakistan, poorly prepared for English conditions, have managed to beat England in three Tests on their two last tours.

Poorly prepared? Pakistan played a test match in Ireland and three warm-up, red-ball games against Kent, Leicester and Northants prior to beating England at Lord’s. India on this tour has played a heap of meaningless limited overs cricket and one solitary warm-up game at Chelmsford.

Wake up to yourself Sanjay! If India had done half as much preparation for this test series as Pakistan did, they might have actually had a chance. Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance. No excuses!

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Pretty annoyed (fuming) at this offhand comment from Manjrekar in a recent Cricinfo article, trying to make excuses for India:

Poorly prepared? Pakistan played a test match in Ireland and three warm-up, red-ball games against Kent, Leicester and Northants prior to beating England at Lord’s. India on this tour has played a heap of meaningless limited overs cricket and one solitary warm-up game at Chelmsford.

Wake up to yourself Sanjay! If India had done half as much preparation for this test series as Pakistan did, they might have actually had a chance. Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance. No excuses!

It was the same (even worse, actually) story when they toured South Africa. Their hierarchy even opted to cancel a practice match in favour of a three day training session so the team went into the 1st Test without a single warm-up match in the country. This came back to bite them as they were clearly caught cold in the first two Tests against us and now it's a similar story against England.

Really piss poor preparations on the part of the Indian management especially given their poor away record against South Africa, England and Australia. Remains to been seen whether they will actually be bothered to prepare properly for the tour of Australia as well. 

47 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It was the same (even worse, actually) story when they toured South Africa. Their hierarchy even opted to cancel a practice match in favour of a three day training session so the team went into the 1st Test without a single warm-up match in the country. This came back to bite them as they were clearly caught cold in the first two Tests against us and now it's a similar story against England.

Really piss poor preparations on the part of the Indian management especially given their poor away record against South Africa, England and Australia. Remains to been seen whether they will actually be bothered to prepare properly for the tour of Australia as well. 

I almost hope they do stuff up against an under-strength Australia (and this from a die-hard hater of Australian cricket).

I doubt they'll find Australian pitches as trying as the seaming English ones.

Twenty years ago the extra bounce on Australian pitches would have really sorted out Indian batsmen but I think these days the short ball is attacked more often and it's not really so much of a vulnerability anymore. Indian batsmen are still able to cash in on the relatively batsmen-friendly conditions in Australia where the ball doesn't really move around.

11 hours ago, Jeor said:

I doubt they'll find Australian pitches as trying as the seaming English ones.

Twenty years ago the extra bounce on Australian pitches would have really sorted out Indian batsmen but I think these days the short ball is attacked more often and it's not really so much of a vulnerability anymore. Indian batsmen are still able to cash in on the relatively batsmen-friendly conditions in Australia where the ball doesn't really move around.

True. The demise of any decent contest between bat and ball in Australian conditions is a major issue. No day-night test this summer either (nice one India).

England have dropped Curran for Stokes. Leaving aside whether Stokes should be playing so soon I'm not sure I'd have dropped Curran, Stokes and Woakes are both currently better players than him but having a left armer in the team adds an extra dimension to an otherwise pretty same-y attack.

That collapse rivals the England of the 1990s.

India's 329, which I initially thought underwhelming, may well turn out to be a very good score on this lively pitch.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

India's 329, which I initially thought underwhelming, may well turn out to be a very good score on this lively pitch.

Admittedly I've not seen too much of this test after seeing the writing on the wall and mostly watching football yesterday but I don't think this pitch is that lively. Lords, especially for India's first innings, was very tough batting conditions but, while there is something in it for the bowlers, this is just pretty standard English conditions when it's overcast. India have gone past 300 again reasonably comfortably; England were just awful, again.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:10 AM, Paxter said:

Manjrekar is an idiot, and him saying that isn't unexpected. I don't know how he has a job as columnist/ commentator. 

Archived