Defiance of Duskendale: Who else could have done it?

Lee-Sensei

Arthur Dayne maybe. Potentially Jaime in his prime. Perhaps Garlan, we don't really know how he compares to the likes of Barristan and Arthur, or Mance. But very few.

8 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Manse Raider or any other wildling who can scale not just any wall but The Wall. Stone Snake. An older Brandon the Broken with working legs.

You forgot that Barristan had to fight his way out as well as sneak in; with the King on his back.

14 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

This was probably the greatest feat in ASOIAF. Could anyone else have done it?

Perhaps.  Arthur may have a slight edge in swordsmanship but that feat required someone who had more than just sword skills.  A combo of the skills of Arthur and Mance could have done it.  There is also luck.  Lady Luck has to favor you.  The most skilled of warriors would fail if Lady Luck hated him.

On a side note, the Darklyns really were stupid. There was NO WAY that that was gonna end well for them. Their demands are met and Aerys gets released, they’re doomed. Aerys escapes, they’re doomed. The Royal army attacks, Aerys is killed, and they’re doomed. The darklyns capturing Aerys was their death warrant.

13 hours ago, 867-5309 said:

Perhaps.  Arthur may have a slight edge in swordsmanship but that feat required someone who had more than just sword skills.  A combo of the skills of Arthur and Mance could have done it.  There is also luck.  Lady Luck has to favor you.  The most skilled of warriors would fail if Lady Luck hated him.

There is also luck.  Lady Luck has to favor you.  The most skilled of warriors would fail if Lady Luck hated him.

I agree

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

On a side note, the Darklyns really were stupid. There was NO WAY that that was gonna end well for them. Their demands are met and Aerys gets released, they’re doomed. Aerys escapes, they’re doomed. The Royal army attacks, Aerys is killed, and they’re doomed. The darklyns capturing Aerys was their death warrant.

It was stupid and it was a gross violation of guest rights when they took their king prisoner and mistreated him.  

The reason I nominated Bronn as being similar to Ser Barristan is that I believe GRRM wants us to compare the Defiance of Duskendale with Catelyn taking Tyrion hostage at the inn at the crossroads. Some of the fallout for the Starks from that act by Catelyn have been as traumatic as the outcomes for the Darklyns.

Aside from a Barristan / Bronn comparison, which other figures are comparable? If you believe Tywin was manipulating the Darklyns into taking the king, would Littlefinger play the parallel role in the taking of Tyrion? Who will be the Dontos Hollard parallel character after the dust has settled from Catelyn's act? I think it will be Sansa, spared directly by Tyrion, not by request from Bronn.

16 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Arthur Dayne maybe. Potentially Jaime in his prime. Perhaps Garlan, we don't really know how he compares to the likes of Barristan and Arthur, or Mance. But very few.

You forgot that Barristan had to fight his way out as well as sneak in; with the King on his back.

Most of the guys listed there are good fighters. The real feat of Barristan there was scaling the wall and sneaking inside. Most trained fighters should be able to take down some guards.

I think that storming the castle was the optimal decision. In this, Tywin was right. What Barristan did was exceptional, which could not be expected in a similar case. So I will lean towards Tywin and his army, and not for the heroic intervention of another character.

17 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Not that I disagree with you on the whole, but a lot of raiders would steal wives and carry them back too, over the Wall. Granted stealing a girl and getting her through the sparsely populated North is not necessarily the same as getting the King through a more densely populated (and defended) town like Duskendale, but there are parallels.

Archived