U.S. Politics: If Trump Is In Attendance, The Next Protest Should Be A Roman Salute

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Back to Basics

Donald Trump returns to race baiting as Republicans stumble toward the midterms.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/donald-trump-returns-to-race-baiting-as-republicans-stumble-toward-the-midterms.html

They had some great tweets this morning about deporting "MS-13 animals" (cause they are still pushing that lie) and about how many deportations they've done and all that shit. And of course they are still separating children from their parents.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the economic argument is bullshit. Trump's biggest appeal is on the immigration issue and for the right in america the immigration issue is wholly and solely about the infliction of brutality and suffering on The Other.

The Polls Are Swinging to the Democrats

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/the-midterm-polls-are-swinging-to-the-democrats-again.html

By a whopping 25-point margin, voters say they’re more likely to back a congressional candidate who promises to serve as a check on President Donald Trump, according to a new national poll from NBC News and the Wall Street Journal.

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Trump just said Russia should be readmitted to reform the G8. Pissing off U.S allies and sucking up to your masters is great foreign policy.

A trolls gonna troll. It’s its nature. Don’t be shocked if the G7 becomes the G6. At this point the power players know there’s nothing to be gained by working with Trump.

10 hours ago, Altherion said:

Why in the world would they do that? The whole point of this division is that the billionaires benefit regardless of which party is in power. Of course, some benefit more than others from one party or the other based on their allegiance and economic sector, but on the whole they have been getting richer regardless of whose turn it is at the moment. Despite Trump's populism, the Republicans are doing exactly what they usually do with regards to people like Schultz, Bloomberg and Cuban and do not require further conditioning at this time. It is much more important for the latter to make sure that the currently increased Democrat activism stays confined to social issues and does not venture into financial ones -- there's little to no chance of this at the Federal level, but it's not entirely impossible for state-level politics to get out hand in one or more states.

More 'both parties are the same' BS?  Come on.  Why are you so intellectually lazy when it comes to this.  Democrats passed sweeping healthcare reforms, raised taxes on billionaires, and lowered the deficit.  Republicans stripped healthcare, lowered taxes on billionaires, stripped net neutrality and handed it over to corporations, and have run up the deficit to post recession levels.  This claim that you keep trying to push that both parties are tied to their corporate masters is demonstrably false, and yet you keep bashing the practice while supporting the people who actively engage in it.  The hypocrisy is just overwhelming.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A trolls gonna troll. It’s its nature. Don’t be shocked if the G7 becomes the G6. At this point the power players know there’s nothing to be gained by working with Trump.

There is going to come a time, likely very soon, when the G7-1 work together to hurt the US economy and they'd be right to do so. Sad days.

Senate Investigators May Have Found a Missing Piece in the Russia Probe

An ex-congressman has alleged ties to the Trump campaign—as well as to powerful figures in Russia and Ukraine. Finding out what he knows is crucial, a top Democrat in the Senate says.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/former-gop-congressman-embroiled-in-the-russia-probe/562343/

Curt Weldon, a Republican and former Pennsylvania congressman, lost his reelection campaign more than a decade ago following an FBI probe into his ties to two Russian companies. He has “connections to both Russia and the Trump campaign” that are raising suspicions among senators, a spokeswoman for Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein said. Feinstein is the committee’s ranking member, and wants to interview Weldon, the spokeswoman said.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

There is going to come a time, likely very soon, when the G7-1 work together to hurt the US economy and they'd be right to do so. Sad days.

It might begin today. This meeting is most likely going to be a total disaster. This morning I heard some speculation that the other six members of the G7 might just start striking deals together while leaving us out of it, which, if true, would mean yes they are going to punish us economically. I’m quite worried about this, and the border trade wars to come in general, because soy bean are going to be one of the chief targets and that will be devastating to my home state.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It might begin today. This meeting is most likely going to be a total disaster. This morning I heard some speculation that the other six members of the G7 might just start striking deals together while leaving us out of it, which, if true, would mean yes they are going to punish us economically. I’m quite worried about this, and the border trade wars to come in general, because soy bean are going to be one of the chief targets and that will be devastating to my home state.

Well, Canada signed a huge trade agreement with the EU that was meant to be the template for a US-EU agreement. And we stayed in the TPP.

Trump thinks that the US is going to sign bilateral agreements with countries in Europe. :o

On the other hand, I think part of his deep-state agenda is to destroy the EU, since it's an economic rival to the US, and helps Russia too. Bannon certainly wants to rip apart the EU.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Europe has traditionally (it happened before) targeted products from states that elected governors hostile to our interests. Not certain where soya falls, but oranges (florida?), harley davidson (texas?), etc, are definitely on the list.

This being said, Trump can hurt us (directly) more than we can hurt th US: we indeed export to the US more than we import from it. Yet, maybe our overlords are prepared to suck it up to at least have the US lose its centrality, and balance their commerce better in the world.

Unsure a cohesive group will really coalesce. The UK needs some trade deals, and could be reluctant to antagonize Trump, with brexit in less than a year (though May has recently invoked Northern Ireland to suggest they might keep open borders after all)... but I suppose that seeing Kim insulting him yielding results and Macron faking being his pal failing miserably, she may see that sucking up does not work.

Germany is afraid for its car industry and is not too hot on being hostile here, too, it seems.

Italy... is a mess currently, with their new xenophobic, populist, euro-skeptikal leaders, not sure if they will have a backbone.

And Japan is mostly favoured by the US currently, if I recall corectly, so might balk at being hostile too.

So I'm not entirely convinced the issue is so clear cut, as far as G7 is concerned, but Europe and European administration is on a whole other level from G7, and they will most certainly retaliate.

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, Canada signed a huge trade agreement with the EU that was meant to be the template for a US-EU agreement. And we stayed in the TPP.

You villains! 

Trump thinks that the US is going to sign bilateral agreements with countries in Europe. :o

What. An. Idiot.

On the other hand, I think part of his deep-state agenda is to destroy the EU, since it's an economic rival to the US, and helps Russia too. Bannon certainly wants to rip apart the EU.

See above, you give him far too much credit, though you are correct about Bannon, not that he matters anymore.

19 minutes ago, Errant Bard said:

Europe has traditionally (it happened before) targeted products from states that elected governors hostile to our interests. Not certain where soya falls, but oranges (florida?), harley davidson (texas?), etc, are definitely on the list.

All countries do this. Soy beans are a major agricultural crop in the Midwest, and targeting them hurts farmers badly who largely supported Trump. Florida oranges have been targeted because Florida is a major swing state that Republicans need to hold. As John said, Harley Davidson is based out of Wisconsin, as is the most powerful Republican not named Trump, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Paul Ryan. They’re also targeting Kentucky bourbon because the third most powerful Republican, Majority Leader of the Senate Mitch McConnell, is from Kentucky. There are some other examples where like Florida, they’re targeting industries located in states that are crucial to Republicans. This is why trade is one of the few issues where Trump is getting some push back because they know it will hurt them, not that Trump cares.   

This being said, Trump can hurt us (directly) more than we can hurt th US: we indeed export to the US more than we import from it. Yet, maybe our overlords are prepared to suck it up to at least have the US lose its centrality, and balance their commerce better in the world.

Yes Trump can hurt you, but if nations bind themselves together against the U.S., you can hurt us more than we can hurt you. And even if the economic damage would be greater for you, the long term damage to the U.S. on the international stage would be far worse for us. We’ve been clinging to power for a long time, and it’s slowly slipping away. We’ll go through what the British did in the past, though I doubt we’ll handle it as well as they did.    

20 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump doesn't have an agenda.  His trade policy is predicated on his narcissistic need to "make deals" on his own and tout them as political wins, even  when they're the furthest thing from it.  The whole ZTE quagmire makes that clear.

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Trump doesn't have an agenda.  His trade policy is predicated on his narcissistic need to "make deals" on his own and tout them as political wins, even  when they're the furthest thing from it.  The whole ZTE quagmire makes that clear.

Graft!

Archived