What will happen when the dragon horn is sound?

The dragonbinder seems real to me. Dany noted that in old Valyria dragons were controlled by "binding spells and sorcerous horns" while she controlled Drogon through words and a whip. GRRM let us believe that Euron probably got this horn from Qarth warlocks and became master of the horn using his blood. Once the horn is sound, dragons will come to the master not the blower. Euron may monitor Victarion's actions by warging into the dusty woman. If dragons are critical for Euron, then this plan is fairly risky as Victarion is stupid and has a festered wound, he may never get a chance to reach the dragons.

Anyway, Moqorro interfered.  Unlike Melisandre, this red priest had very accurate predictions.  He powered Victarion and his ironmen through the long voyage, beat the Volantene fleet to reach Meereen first,  and joined the battle at the right time.  However, there is really no need for Moqorro to continue serving Victarion faithfully after this. 

Moqorro was a man of monstrous size, he looked "burned" and "charred" already. Actually there is no better man than himself to sound the horn.

In the Victarion chapter from TWOW, Victarion gathered three thrall in queue to blow the horn. He did not trust Moqorro and would not let him take the horn. When Moqorro offered to bleed him, Victarion says the dusky woman will do it.

Now, this is getting really interesting. What will happen after this? The Yunkai army is smashed and Battle of Meereen looks like over. Volantis has sent a large fleet, Dany's men need to take them over. Victarion's purpose (sending iron fleet and dragonbinder to Dany) is probably fulfilled, and he is likely to die. Moqorro and Euron will have a fight over the horn and dragons. Tyrion is hinted to ride the white dragon, he is around and Moqorro knows him. How will GRRM link all these events together? Any ideas? What will happen when the dragon horn is sound?

Moqorro also told Victarion that he needs to make the horn his own, plus he knows that all of Euron's gifts are 'poison' so I would like to think he has some sort of plan. Saying that though Victarion has always been described as not very smart, so he might just make his thralls blow the horn and expect the dragons to bow to him. Or he might actually come up with a legitimate plan, but Euron outsmarts him somehow, since Euron is getting developed into the 'big bad' on the human side I doubt he will get outmaneuvered by someone like Victarion. Either way I don't see Victarion making it out of Meereen alive. My best guesses for his death would be either getting burnt to death by Rhaegal or Viserion, or getting killed by Barristan Selmy. As far as the dragons go though, I can't see Euron getting both of them, if I where to guess I would go with him getting Viserion to parallel with Viserys being crazy, and then the dragon being named for him being used by crazy. Or hell maybe he wont get any of them. Like all the Red Priests, minus Melisandre, Moqorro seems pretty confident that Daenerys is Azor Ahai reborn, so it could be safe to assume he considers Euron an evil standing in her way, so maybe he will sabotage the horn, or somehow stop Victarion from completing his mission. 

• 2 weeks later...

Victarion thinks claiming the horn by blood means smearing blood on it, I find that to be ridiculous.  Euron claimed it by sacrificing his son.  It was one of his bastards who blew the horn and died at the Kingsmoot. 

What is interesting is that he intends to have the horn blown 3 times.  What could that mean?  I think he may accidentally undue Eurons plan by doing so.  Will the horn still belong to Euron after 2 other people have given their lives blowing it?  I don't think we can say with any level of certainty, but I do think Moqorro would not have let Victarion believe smearing his blood on the horn would work, unless he viewed the overall plan as benefitting Danaerys.

Euron may be smart, but he is not there and Moqorro is, I believe that is everything.

I don't think it is a coincidence that 1 of the dragons has left the battle before the horn has blown, so only 1 will be effected.  I can't remember if its Rhaegal of Viserion, but Viserion is for Tyrion.

Spitballing: What if the horns awaken telepathic talent in the blower, attuned towards dragon-telepathy, effectively letting the blower skinchange a dragon, but killing them, trapping them in the dragon's skin. In the right circumstance, this could create a willing dragon, assuming you sacrifice a loyal, trustworthy servant in this way. But Victarion is planning on having random nobodys blow the horn, thralls offered up by various captains in his fleet. If the horn "binds" the dragon in the way I'm suggesting, it won't result in dragons loyal to anybody, they'd just do whatever it is Ironborn thrall would do if they found themselves inhabiting dragons.

Personally I believe Euron will win a dragon (Rhaegal) in the end. To have another dance of dragons,  GRRM needs to have the three dragons separated. 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:09 PM, EloImFizzy said:

Moqorro also told Victarion that he needs to make the horn his own, plus he knows that all of Euron's gifts are 'poison' so I would like to think he has some sort of plan. Saying that though Victarion has always been described as not very smart, so he might just make his thralls blow the horn and expect the dragons to bow to him. Or he might actually come up with a legitimate plan, but Euron outsmarts him somehow, since Euron is getting developed into the 'big bad' on the human side I doubt he will get outmaneuvered by someone like Victarion. Either way I don't see Victarion making it out of Meereen alive. My best guesses for his death would be either getting burnt to death by Rhaegal or Viserion, or getting killed by Barristan Selmy. As far as the dragons go though, I can't see Euron getting both of them, if I where to guess I would go with him getting Viserion to parallel with Viserys being crazy, and then the dragon being named for him being used by crazy. Or hell maybe he wont get any of them. Like all the Red Priests, minus Melisandre, Moqorro seems pretty confident that Daenerys is Azor Ahai reborn, so it could be safe to assume he considers Euron an evil standing in her way, so maybe he will sabotage the horn, or somehow stop Victarion from completing his mission. 

Are you sure the horn blower at kingsmoot is Euron's son? There is no mentioning of it. 

I agree the blood smearing is ridiculous. The notion is raised by Moqorro, who could betray Victarion at any time.  Moqorro does not want the horn to be sound at all, Dany is not around, nothing good can happen. The blood smearing is an opportunity for Moqorro to kill Victarion. 

Victarion may sense the danger and let dusky woman blood him, and the opportunity is passed to dusky woman.

If the horn could bind dragons, why doesn't Euron get Cragorn to blow the horn in Slaver's Bay, in earshot of say, Drogon (who often flies off to hunt), and bring a DRAGON to the kingsmoot? This whole plan of initialling sending 1,000 ironborn ships to Slaver's Bay, and later just Victarion with the Iron Fleet, seems a bit convoluted.

Announced plans always seem to go awry in ASOIAF. Both Euron and Victarion have announced plans, so both will go awry. My theory is that horn DOES work, but can only bind a dragon to someone of Valyrian ancestry. So the horn would work, in theory, but doesn't in practice, because Euron and Victarion are ironborn. Another option I can see happening is that they COULD take control of it, but neither brother has figured out how, so the dragons will go to some third party (the warlocks strapped to the figureheads of Euron's fleet in the Reach?)..

All we can say for certain is that something interesting will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think blowing it will just give someone the power to control a dragon. Why would the Valyrians make such a horn? Any enemy could easily sacrifice one of their soldiers (probably a willing soldier too) to obtain control of one of their weapons of mass destruction, potentially even mid-battle as Victarion intends.

That's a stupid thing for anyone to do. Hell even if you make the argument that the Valyrians wouldn't have taken a horn to battle to be stolen, what's to stop a rival Valyrian house or a pissed off son getting their hands on it. What a risk!

In my opinion, if it does anything at all it will require advanced magic or arcane knowledge. I mean only a few people can smith Valyrian weapons still and these are way more common than dragon horns.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:00 AM, Giant Ice Spider said:

So the horn would work, in theory, but doesn't in practice, because Euron and Victarion are ironborn. Another option I can see happening is that they COULD take control of it, but neither brother has figured out how, so the dragons will go to some third party (the warlocks strapped to the figureheads of Euron's fleet in the Reach?)..

All we can say for certain is that something interesting will happen.

2 hours ago, blacken said:

I don't think blowing it will just give someone the power to control a dragon. Why would the Valyrians make such a horn? Any enemy could easily sacrifice one of their soldiers (probably a willing soldier too) to obtain control of one of their weapons of mass destruction, potentially even mid-battle as Victarion intends.

That's a stupid thing for anyone to do. Hell even if you make the argument that the Valyrians wouldn't have taken a horn to battle to be stolen, what's to stop a rival Valyrian house or a pissed off son getting their hands on it. What a risk!

In my opinion, if it does anything at all it will require advanced magic or arcane knowledge. I mean only a few people can smith Valyrian weapons still and these are way more common than dragon horns.

I, too, don't believe the horn does work the way Euron or Victarion think it will, because of the exact reasons given by @blacken.

But I am confident that something will happen, when it is blown, so here is my theory:

We know that dragons can and do bound because they are raised by and with humans, or simply tamed by feeding and trust growing. But it seems to me, that you can't control the binding this way, just make it more likely - it still depends ONLY on the sympathy between dragon y and human x. This was okay with the few dragons the Targs did have in Westeros, as you only needed a few bounded adult dragons (and Cannibal ^^) to ensure population control.

But in Valyria, there were not only a lot more dragons, but they also were played a much bigger part in their culture (we can presume). In this context you not only don't want a lot of uncontrolled dragons roaming free, but you also don't want to make the binding a game of chance.

In fact, binding with a dragon may well have been part of an initiation ritual, at least a bit part of growing up, in which case you would like to somehow force the binding, even if you can't force to whom.

So how about the horn indeed somehow forcing unbound dragons to look for a fitting rider? But not necessary the one blowing the horn? Or maybe the @Giant Ice Spider and @blacken got it right and it is indeed the one blowing the horn, but only, if this someone does know and had preformed the necessary blood&fire-magic-of-not-being-burned-by-it correctly? In the latter case - and without a Valyrian Bloodmage at least on novice level trying to bind to his or her scaled childhood friend- when the horn is blown the two free dragons will indeed start looking for "their" rider, but I highly doubt it will be one of the Ironbound.

• 3 weeks later...

The purpose of Dragonbinder is to allow the person who blows the horn to second life a dragon. But it seems to first require a sacrifice of one's own child to bind it by blood before it is able to properly function. Whatever happens when Vic blows or has the horn blown will not be the proper intended purpose of the horn.

I'm pretty sure Euron gets a dragon. He is built up as a major antagonist and it will just be stupid if Vic spoils his plans. And do we really want to see Vic on a dragon? I don't.

Moqorro is a problem for Euron yes. But I doubt he wants to see Vic on a dragon , he's loyalty is with Dany. So yeah I think Moqorro will make sure Vic fails. 

• 1 month later...

The horn is a fake. The only reason Euron sent Victarion off, is because Victarion would interfere with his plans taking the Reach and potentially killing off Aeron. 

I personally think Moqorro is in league with Euron, since its a little bit suspicious he arrives at the same time as Victarion and knew exactly where he was and what the horn was. He says he studies it. I cannot believe that, since its said that the Horn is a myth. 

Short version -

All three horn blowers keel over, fatally wounded.

Either Rhaegal or Viserion shows up, roasts Victarion, and eats him. (Yum.)

This leaves Barristan, Tyrion, and Brown Ben Plumm staring at a dragon. Tyrion will encourage Ben to mount the dragon. Brown Ben "There are old sellswords, bold sellswords, but no old, bold, sellswords" Plumm will do the logical thing and Run Away. In a fit of irrationality, Tyrion will mount the dragon and bind it to him. Barristan will then explain the rumors that Tyrion is actually the bastard son of Aerys II and Joanna Lannister.

Slaughter of the Yunkai ensues.

• 7 months later...

I have always suspected that Euron is the Dusky Woman - a glamour from one of his wizards or blood mages. Victarion has told the DW so many of his plans. Euron’s gifts are poisonous, the DW was a gift. I agree that nothing good will come of anyone blowing the horn. Maybe Victarion dies by dragon fire, Morrqoro, or Euron. It is ridiculous that Euron sent Victarion to claim his bride - why would Dany accept someone she has never seen?

• 2 weeks later...

How about something simple, like it encourages both present dragons to fight for the Iron Born cause against the Volantenes and Wise Masters. And also ends up confusing things in the Mereenese defenders, gathering them up and resulting in a draconic and calvalry wipe out that sweeps the entire field, slaugthering the vast majority of newly introduced characters on the field that aren't Iron Born and Mereenese fighters?

• 3 weeks later...

If you’ve seen the Aeron sample chapter from Winds, you’d know that Euron is wearing Valyrian steel armor that has similar glyphs as the horn.  I think they’re a matching set.  When the horn is blown, the dragon will go to whomever is wearing the armor.  So I expect Viserion will fly to Euron in Oldtown. 

I personally think the dusty woman isn't mute. Euron TOLD Vic that she is, but Vic never cared to check if it's true, so who knows, perhaps she's collecting secrets and lets Euron know by one way or another. Or Euron uses a Glass Candle like Quiathe to have a talk with the dusty woman.

That aside, I think we should take into account the personalities of the dragons. Drogon seems pretty much occupied by Dany, leaving Rhaegal and Viserion for the rest. Viserion is said to be (rather) affectionate and remembering the scene with Quentyn, Viserion did not attack him. Rhaehal or the other hand is described as more aggressive, forward and well, wild.
Dany told us that just because a person can ride one dragon, it definitely does not mean the same person can mount another dragon- it could even end deathly. So I tend to believe there needs to be a certain similarity in personalities and affection of a kind between a dragon and a possible rider. What I dont know is whether or not there was a dragon in history that allowed two or more riders to mount him - what I mean is not at the same time, but each for themselves, establishing bonds with different people.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived