Cersei versus Daenerys

LadyNoOne

Hello,

I'm wondering who people would think would be the best queen of Westeros?  I think that Dany has become a bit tyranical.  I still support her, but I think that she is resembling Cersei more now. 

Opinions?

Hey @LadyNoOne, welcome to the forum.  Arya is not among my favorite characters, yet I believe based on books and show that she would be the best queen.  I believe in the books she will have something happen that turns her away from the dark path of lusting for death and vengeance (I believe it will be her meeting Lady Stoneheart) and after that Arya will be perfect.  Resourceful in combat yet well educated. Having known what it is to survive, to be desperate, but also having had some education and access to the nobility from when she was a child.  She would hopefully be able to be firm and unrelenting when necessary, yet empathetic and merciful when necessary.

I prefer Sansa to Arya as a character, and no doubt she has been better educated for traditional ruling, though I believe after the war for dawn an untraditional ruler will be needed.

Cersei is a fun character but an awful ruler.

I don't mind Daenerys that much as a person in the books, but ultimately she is an entitled tyrant seeking to impose her will on everyone through the threat of using her singular access to effective means of mass violence (the dragons).  The show has done an awful job stating her actual policies or why people support her.  She would have made a terrific villain and up until midway through ADWD I thought that was her calling.  Oh well.

Hi there, thanks!   I've heard this often regarding Arya.  I agree she could make a great queen if she decides to stop playing at knighthood :)  

I still believe that Dany is going to win with her two dragons, hundreds of dothraki, and unsullied.  I do believe she is too tyranical, and she has no claim to the thrown.   She feels entitled by her name alone.  Still, she was born with nothing.  She aquired all that she has independently.  She was smart not to marry the "King" of Qarth... 

5 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

I still believe that Dany is going to win with her two dragons, hundreds of dothraki, and unsullied.  I do believe she is too tyranical, and she has no claim to the thrown.   She feels entitled by her name alone.  Still, she was born with nothing.  She aquired all that she has independently.  She was smart not to marry the "King" of Qarth... 

Daenerys is definitely going to "win" but the smart money is on her dying in childbirth and never actually reigning or sitting on the iron throne.

I thought Daenerys being born with nothing and having been sold to Drogo was what would make her such a a great villain, because you could sympathize with her and admire her triumph over adversity while still being horrified that she is an ill tempered, self righteous, entitled tyrant.  I had no idea why GRRM would spend so much time on her out on her own away from the main story if not for the purpose of building her up as this epic big bad.  Looks like they won't go that route.  Still if she is a hero, I'd like for someone to explain why they follow her besides "she freed me so now I choose to be her slave" and "she is the only one who can lead and break the wheel"  Terrible and nonspecific answers.  I hate that more than any dislike I may have for Daenerys.  Essentially I hate D&D&C I guess.

5 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Daenerys is definitely going to "win" but the smart money is on her dying in childbirth and never actually reigning or sitting on the iron throne.

I thought Daenerys being born with nothing and having been sold to Drogo was what would make her such a a great villain, because you could sympathize with her and admire her triumph over adversity while still being horrified that she is an ill tempered, self righteous, entitled tyrant.  I had no idea why GRRM would spend so much time on her out on her own away from the main story if not for the purpose of building her up as this epic big bad.  Looks like they won't go that route.  Still if she is a hero, I'd like for someone to explain why they follow her besides "she freed me so now I choose to be her slave" and "she is the only one who can lead and break the wheel"  Terrible and nonspecific answers.  I hate that more than any dislike I may have for Daenerys.  Essentially I hate D&D&C I guess.

Hi there,

I think Dany is getting some harsh criticism.  She has acted valiantly to save the members of the party who marched beyond the wall to catpure a wright.  She is all that you say, but not only.  I would not characterize her as a villain.   I would characterize her as a strong woman who wishes to be recognized.   In some way, all strong people wish this. 

She was abused and made to be submissive to her brother, sold as you point out to Drogo (who fortunately she loved); and I believe this is why her "pet pieve" is slavery.  I do not regard her subjects as slaves.   I'm just now watching S4 E6, and Dany listens to the complains of all her subjects including former Masters.  She reacts sympathetically to all.

I do agree that she is becoming tyrannical, overly self-confident, as well as entitled.  But... she deserves some credit, doesn't she?

Maybe Jon would be the best king.  He is humble, and also half Targ.  He can ride those dragons.

Thoughts?

Hey @LadyNoOne, I am not characterizing her as a villain and would not - I thought that was a possible path for her until ADWD when you see her personally tending to the people with the pale mare and deciding to stay put in Essos to try to resolve things in Slavers Bay rather than taking the navy offered to her and invading Westeros.  One could characterize her anti-slavery stance as not being altruistic and simply a product of Daenerys living out a personal revenge fantasy, but that is another discussion entirely.  Clearly on the show she is being positioned as heroic and caring, but the writing is so poor that it is hard to justify it.  Her and her supporters always talk about breaking the wheel but never talk about what that means - an end to feudalism?  A free market capitalist society?  A communist society where Daenerys decides all?  Stealing land from the nobles and giving to the small folk?  None of her ruling policies beyond "no slavery" (already not a problem in Westeros) are ever actually detailed.  And it would be really ironic if her policy was one of land and wealth redistribution, particularly since her whole modus operandi is taking back the 7 kingdoms and all authority since that once belonged to her family with no consideration as to whether that it is a "fair" or good system in the first place.  I don't think she is bad per se, not at all, but I don't understand her goals beyond acquiring total authority and using threat of mass violence as a means to achieve it.  In that regard she is the same as Cersei, only with dragons instead of wildfire.  Cersei has explicitly stated and shown she would use her authority solely for personal gain and for the advancement of her children, whereas we are led to believe Daenerys would be more magnamous (probably not moreso than Robert Baratheon) but we don't actually know what Daenerys' plans are.

Jon would not make a good king, I think he was a fine LC of the NW but failed miserably in the show as KitN, and wouldn't have even had that opportunity if not for the Knights of the Vale saving the day.  As for his Targaryen heritage, I believe planetos would be much better off without Dragons and with Targaryens being no more or less special than other families.  So I'll stick with Arya for queen!

What would be your ideal vision for Westeros' political/economic structure and who would lead it?

1 minute ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Hey @LadyNoOne, I am not characterizing her as a villain and would not - I thought that was a possible path for her until ADWD when you see her personally tending to the people with the pale mare and deciding to stay put in Essos to try to resolve things in Slavers Bay rather than taking the navy offered to her and invading Westeros.  One could characterize her anti-slavery stance as not being altruistic and simply a product of Daenerys living out a personal revenge fantasy, but that is another discussion entirely.  Clearly on the show she is being positioned as heroic and caring, but the writing is so poor that it is hard to justify it.  Her and her supporters always talk about breaking the wheel but never talk about what that means - an end to feudalism?  A free market capitalist society?  A communist society where Daenerys decides all?  Stealing land from the nobles and giving to the small folk?  None of her ruling policies beyond "no slavery" (already not a problem in Westeros) are ever actually detailed.  And it would be really ironic if her policy was one of land and wealth redistribution, particularly since her whole modus operandi is taking back the 7 kingdoms and all authority since that once belonged to her family with no consideration as to whether that it is a "fair" or good system in the first place.  I don't think she is bad per se, not at all, but I don't understand her goals beyond acquiring total authority and using threat of mass violence as a means to achieve it.  In that regard she is the same as Cersei, only with dragons instead of wildfire.  Cersei has explicitly stated and shown she would use her authority solely for personal gain and for the advancement of her children, whereas we are led to believe Daenerys would be more magnamous (probably not moreso than Robert Baratheon) but we don't actually know what Daenerys' plans are.

Jon would not make a good king, I think he was a fine LC of the NW but failed miserably in the show as KitN, and wouldn't have even had that opportunity if not for the Knights of the Vale saving the day.  As for his Targaryen heritage, I believe planetos would be much better off without Dragons and with Targaryens being no more or less special than other families.  So I'll stick with Arya for queen!

What would be your ideal vision for Westeros' political/economic structure and who would lead it?

Hi there @Lucius Lovejoy I wish I could reply to quotes in-line, heh.  So, Dany did cross the narrow sea with her Dragons, the Unsullied, and her large Khalasar (and some former slaves from Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen..).  I know what you mean, though.  At one point she was content to stay in Essos and rule there, but she did not.

I think I expressed this on a different thread, but I think she is overcompensating.  That is, I think she wants to be recognized.  After all, she has been treated as a slave herself throughout her life, then sold as one into a marriage she was at first scared.  She wants some justice, but she also feels part of the injustice is not only slavery.  I believe she feels the "wheel" is unjust, and that is why she states that she wants to "break the wheel".  Frankly, I don't blame her.

Now, if she wanted only fire and blood, she could have taken the Capitol by now.  She wants to be different than the "Cercies" of the world, and not be queen of the ashes.

I must say I love those Dragons :)  They are remarkably cat-like, except for the breathing fire part.  So, why do you think Jon would be a poor king?  He might be too empathetic... That is true, but he has a remarkable upbringing, education; and he is a tried and true battle warrior.  He cares about people, and he is humble enough to listen to advisors.  Still, I don't think his character would want to be king... 

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, LadyNoOne said:

Hi there @Lucius Lovejoy I wish I could reply to quotes in-line, heh. 

I've got your back!  Hit the enter key twice and it will let you do so!

So, Dany did cross the narrow sea with her Dragons, the Unsullied, and her large Khalasar (and some former slaves from Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen..).  I know what you mean, though.  At one point she was content to stay in Essos and rule there, but she did not.

To her credit she did not leave Essos until the threat of the masters who wanted a return to slavery were completely neutralized.  If she was totally power hungry she would have left the first chance she got.

I think I expressed this on a different thread, but I think she is overcompensating.  That is, I think she wants to be recognized.  After all, she has been treated as a slave herself throughout her life, then sold as one into a marriage she was at first scared.  She wants some justice, but she also feels part of the injustice is not only slavery.  I believe she feels the "wheel" is unjust, and that is why she states that she wants to "break the wheel".  Frankly, I don't blame her.

Yeah, and this is my problem.  "Justice" sounds great but it is not defined.  If Justice is keeping the status quo but making sure things like the Mountain raiding the riverlands or Littlefinger and Ramsay abusing people doesn't happen any more, well, Stannis was the best justice candidate.  If Justice is democracy, that kind of doesn't work with an inherited right structure that relies on one family's access to dragons.

Now, if she wanted only fire and blood, she could have taken the Capitol by now.  She wants to be different than the "Cercies" of the world, and not be queen of the ashes.

Agreed.

I must say I love those Dragons :)  They are remarkably cat-like, except for the breathing fire part. 

Cool to look at but I hate how they represent means for mass destruction, and that only the Targaryens have them.  What if Mad Aerys had access to dragons?  It would be awful.  Better that there are no dragons.

So, why do you think Jon would be a poor king?  He might be too empathetic... That is true, but he has a remarkable upbringing, education; and he is a tried and true battle warrior.  He cares about people, and he is humble enough to listen to advisors.  Still, I don't think his character would want to be king... 

Cheers!

Jon is too emotional on the show in S6 and S7 (and probably in the books went he decides to save Arya not knowing it js Jeyne Poole).  He abandoned his sound military strategy in the battle of the bastards because Ramsay taunted him with Rickon, putting his whole army at risk until Littlefinger and Sansa saved him.  Then he risks his life twice in the dumbest suicide mission ever (wight hunt), and finally lays down his crown because a pretty girl batted eyes at him.  Not giving up your kingdom is pretty much job #1 once you are made king by acclamation.

This has been fun but I need to start doing some work.  Cheers!

4 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I've got your back!  Hit the enter key twice and it will let you do so!

Thank you so much!  I'm sooo new here, lol.  It is a great forum/website.

To her credit she did not leave Essos until the threat of the masters who wanted a return to slavery were completely neutralized.  If she was totally power hungry she would have left the first chance she got.

Yeah, and this is my problem.  "Justice" sounds great but it is not defined.  If Justice is keeping the status quo but making sure things like the Mountain raiding the riverlands or Littlefinger and Ramsay abusing people doesn't happen any more, well, Stannis was the best justice candidate.  If Justice is democracy, that kind of doesn't work with an inherited right structure that relies on one family's access to dragons.

Yes, and I think Viserys definitely was power hungry enough to seize KL if he had that kind of power at the time... You're right that "justice" is a relative concept.  I did not like it when Dany crucified the masters of Meereen in vengeance for the slaved children.  Don't we all make bad decisions, though?  Sometimes she has made decisions that are completely unfair, such as promising her largest dragon to the one of the masters of the Unsullied then burning him.  On the other hand, the Unsullied did seem pleased to be freed... Cersei's version of justice is only to her own family.  To her, those are the only ones that matter: "Hang the world" she says when shown a wright...  

Agreed.

Cool to look at but I hate how they represent means for mass destruction, and that only the Targaryens have them.  What if Mad Aerys had access to dragons?  It would be awful.  Better that there are no dragons.

Well, Qyburn is working on a solution to this.  I'm wondering if Dragons can withstand wildfire?

Jon is too emotional on the show in S6 and S7 (and probably in the books went he decides to save Arya not knowing it js Jeyne Poole).  He abandoned his sound military strategy in the battle of the bastards because Ramsay taunted him with Rickon, putting his whole army at risk until Littlefinger and Sansa saved him.  Then he risks his life twice in the dumbest suicide mission ever (wight hunt), and finally lays down his crown because a pretty girl batted eyes at him.  Not giving up your kingdom is pretty much job #1 once you are made king by acclamation.

This has been fun but I need to start doing some work.  Cheers!

Actually, I think you have a really great point here regarding Jon. Thanks!

Thinking of the best regent possible, I would suggest someone with at least a little bit of successful experience in ruling. I believe Jon and Dany have both heavily failed in politics so far, though not only cause of their own fault. Both lost control over their people and have never learned governance or diplomacy. They may serve well in times of war, but during peace I would imagine someone else to be a better choice. However, a new strong small council may be the best idea, whoever becomes regent.

I consider Jon and Dany good people, but not particularly good rulers.  

Going by season 7, Jon hasn't communicated effectively with his bannermen.  He rarely writes home or tells Sansa what is going on at Dragonstone.  How is she suppose to deal with things at home if she doesn't know what is going on.  He also effectively gave away the North's sovereignty to Dany unilaterally.  He probably should write home or get some input from the people he is ruling before bending the knee.  The reason he bent the knee is because Dany is a good person, but how is anybody suppose to know that without meeting her first. 

For Dany, I think she underestimates her appeal to Westerosi.  People view her as a foreigner and few people care about her claim to the throne.  Also she overestimates her ability to control the dragons which can bite her later on.  And Dany should also recognize that the tactics that worked for her in Essos won't work in Westeros since she is not freeing slaves.  She is just prolonging war for the smallfolk in Westeros based on her name alone. 

Both Jon and Dany should also recognize that politics and PR play some role in ruling.  They are not everything but you have to be at least aware of it.  I think that Jon and Dany don't know anything about the smallfolk in Westeros.  Jon spent all his time ruling at the Wall and Dany spent all her time ruling in Essos. 

I do agree that Arya will be the best Queen for the smallfolk. 

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

I think Arya will be a terrible queen. For one, she doesn't want it. Two, she wanted to execute (or, at best, imprison) the lords who were impatient and frustrated with Jon. Three, she looked down on Sansa for not doing so. Four, she got completely carried away in her attempt to protect Jon from Sansa.

She's good with the smallfolk, the regular people of the story. But the times where she has had to deal with the delicacies of nobility and politics, she has failed. Both in the books and the show.

Sansa is a much better choice. I think she'll be the endgame ruler (or regent) in the show.

And I think people here are too hard on Daenerys. She's ultimately a great person and would make for a great ruler if she had a good, strong Hand. Tyrion, unfortunately, has almost been sabotaging her. I don't think Daenerys is anywhere near tyrannical; she's just tough and lacks the subtlety experience would give her. We have watched how she treats her people - highborn or lowborn - and she treats all people well and equally enough.

The tyrant of the show story is Cersei.

Now, the books are a different thing.

I think when she comes to Westeros, people in the South will view her in a similar way the people in the North view the Others. To them, she'll be pyromaniac of a she-tyrant (a legend in all the worst ways) who is coming to make Westeros pay for the downfall of her family with a kinslaying midget from hell, three semi-sentient enormous flying monsters, legions of emotionless eunuch spearman, a horde of horseloving barbarians, her dark-skinned slave henchmen and a queer foreign god that also likes to watch things burn. Marrying herself and her cause to someone like Victarion Greyjoy (figuratively or literally) will just make it three times worse.

Now, we know Daenerys and we know that she is not her father. She doesn't like to feed children to her dragons, she doesn't feel the need to watch people die of sickness in the streets, she doesn't necessarily want to reduce her enemies and all of their cities. That's the whole point of her POV. To set up a contrast of the stolen concept fallacy: the POVs of Arianne, JonCon, Cersei, whomever will think Daenerys is ABC because of XYZ but the POV of Daenerys will show us that that's not even close to being true: sometimes, XYZ is just XYZ. And sometimes, XYZ is happening because of TUVW.

It's like if someone accuses you of being racist on the grounds that you hate hip hop music, you aren't the least bit attracted to black people and that you like to make race jokes.

Now, while that accusation that you are racist could very well be true, it could very well be a context-dropping, false dichotomy-based misunderstanding. You can just have a taste for redheads, a problem with the lifestyle hip hop portrays and a bad sense of humor. And if someone knows that it probably isn't true (or if there's a story behind it that a reasonable adult will understand and sympathize with) but decides to run with the racist narrative anyway, they are - at best - an extremely lazy, life-sabotaging, borderline sociopathic liar. At worst, they're - in my opinion - abhorrently satanic.

For all we know, Daenerys might not even want to step foot in Westeros. Dragons don't plant trees. They are majestic, supernatural, nomadic beasts. Dragons don't govern and campaign, they conquer and judge. They incinerate and devour the bad and provide fuel and warmth for the good. These thoughts are only going to be confirmed and intensified by her second, less-than-comfortable tenure with the Dothraki.

Daenerys probably won't start caring about anything in Westeros until she hears about the Others and/or Euron. Both of them are pose a huge supernatural (in Euron's case, quasi-supernatural) and existential threat to the entire world, not just Westeros. The only one who stands a good chance of defeating them may very well be Daenerys. Marwyn and the red priests, two factions that know a lot about the danger the world is facing, have taken a huge interest in Daenerys.

If she's busy fighting Euron/the Others or bringing fire and blood to Essosi slavery, Daenerys likely won't care if Aegon VI (who may or may not be fake) sits the Iron Throne. Maybe what bothers her is the fact that Aegon is just a puppet and the one(s) pulling the strings, playing cyvasse with other people's lives is the dangerous one. After all, GRRM did say we will learn Varys' true intentions in Dream of Spring. Varys can talk about how much he cares about the good of the realm and all the good that the Targaryens did/still can do for the realm all he wants. I don't care, I can't trust a single word that comes out of Varys' mouth. His actions are basically screaming the opposite of what he says.

I guess, what I am saying is this: Daenerys has clearly demonstrated that she is not what a lot of people think she is.

@Lucius Lovejoy On the note of what system is going to replace the slave economy in Essos (which Daenerys WILL completely obliterate), I think Tyrion will be the one to take care of that. After all, he was a relatively successful master of coin, an immensely successful Hand of the King and probably did something moderately successful in his time at Casterly Rock. Tyrion has a eye for this sort of thing. Daenerys, on the other hand, is completely clueless, even if she wasn't on board with the "we do not sow" spiel.

I think Tyrion, given his personality and his background, will opt for capitalism.

Daenerys will likely insist that he incorporate elements of socialism and feminism into this new economic system...outside of that, Daenerys won't really care. Victarion definitely won't.

Barristan will likely favor a feudal system like the one in Westeros (he'll likely be overruled and outvoted; no one likes the Westerosi feudal system). If not, he'll end up striking a compromise between Daenerys' socialist tendencies and Tyrion's capitalism while quietly mourning the beginning of the end of feudalism.

The red priests, however, will likely have the final say in the matter. They probably will end up making whatever Tyrion does communist. R'hllor will decide everything and his priests and priestesses will deliver his verdict.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:30 PM, LadyNoOne said:

Hello,

I'm wondering who people would think would be the best queen of Westeros?  I think that Dany has become a bit tyranical.  I still support her, but I think that she is resembling Cersei more now. 

Opinions?

Dany doesn't seem to be interested in torturing her enemies to death in imaginative ways, nor is she as emotional as Cersei.

She's a different type of tyrant.  Cold, ruthless, entitled, seeing people as objects who are useful to her, or who stand in her way and have to be destroyed. 

I'd honestly hate to be a Lord in the seven kingdoms at this time. Politically, the people are divided between two "Mad Queens". Both options suck. We have one Baratheon left but his existence is like a state secret at the moment and therefore not an option people are privy to. But Cersei and Daenerys are like two sides of the same coin. Both equally crazy and tyrannical.

This last season really demonstrated their similarities. Both wiped out a great house of westeros out of pure vengeance and selfish gain (Tyrell and Tarly). They both have incestous relations. Neither have a claim to the throne. People like to cast Cersei as the villian, but Danerys has done just as much bad. Most point to the Destruction of the Sept of Baelor as Cersei's biggest crime. The mass slaughtering of Innocents. Danerys did the same thing in Mireen crusifying hundreds of people based on their position in society not their political morality. Many of those people opposed the attrocity Danerys sentenced them for. Both characters enjoy torturing their enemies. Danerys has fed people to her dragons. Even her allies. Cersei does the same only she uses The Mountain.

I definitely see a trend in Danerys verging on the madness her family is known for. How many times do your advisors have to council you not to murder hundreds of people before you realize your perspective might be skewed. In Season 7 alone Danerys had to be talked down from mass murder at least two times (maybe more, I didn't specifically count). Tyrion and Varys even have that conversation discussing the potentiality of their council no longer working.

Add to that the policical and economical disaster that was her conquest of Essos and you have incopitence to add to Danerys' list of attributes. She destroyed their economy overnight and dismantled their cast system ensuring poverty for the vast majority of people and stoking hatred amounst the ex Masters and freed slaves. With that act she made herself responsible for the welfare of the people in those cities. Not only did she show indifference and indignation to many of her subjects she eventually just gave up and left making the entire enterprise an unequivical failure. She made herself their monarch by conquring their cities and destroying their economic system. Then gave no replacement for the lost revenue of the slave trade and the now increased cost of labor. Then she abandoned them with no plan, instead opting to put a mercinary with no political experience in charge. Wow. Just wow.

Both characters are designed to mirror each other. But make no mistake, they are both terrible rulers that justify attrocities against their own people for selfish gain.

15 hours ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

I'd honestly hate to be a Lord in the seven kingdoms at this time. Politically, the people are divided between two "Mad Queens". Both options suck. We have one Baratheon left but his existence is like a state secret at the moment and therefore not an option people are privy to. But Cersei and Daenerys are like two sides of the same coin. Both equally crazy and tyrannical.

This last season really demonstrated their similarities. Both wiped out a great house of westeros out of pure vengeance and selfish gain (Tyrell and Tarly). They both have incestous relations. Neither have a claim to the throne. People like to cast Cersei as the villian, but Danerys has done just as much bad. Most point to the Destruction of the Sept of Baelor as Cersei's biggest crime. The mass slaughtering of Innocents. Danerys did the same thing in Mireen crusifying hundreds of people based on their position in society not their political morality. Many of those people opposed the attrocity Danerys sentenced them for. Both characters enjoy torturing their enemies. Danerys has fed people to her dragons. Even her allies. Cersei does the same only she uses The Mountain.

I definitely see a trend in Danerys verging on the madness her family is known for. How many times do your advisors have to council you not to murder hundreds of people before you realize your perspective might be skewed. In Season 7 alone Danerys had to be talked down from mass murder at least two times (maybe more, I didn't specifically count). Tyrion and Varys even have that conversation discussing the potentiality of their council no longer working.

Add to that the policical and economical disaster that was her conquest of Essos and you have incopitence to add to Danerys' list of attributes. She destroyed their economy overnight and dismantled their cast system ensuring poverty for the vast majority of people and stoking hatred amounst the ex Masters and freed slaves. With that act she made herself responsible for the welfare of the people in those cities. Not only did she show indifference and indignation to many of her subjects she eventually just gave up and left making the entire enterprise an unequivical failure. She made herself their monarch by conquring their cities and destroying their economic system. Then gave no replacement for the lost revenue of the slave trade and the now increased cost of labor. Then she abandoned them with no plan, instead opting to put a mercinary with no political experience in charge. Wow. Just wow.

Both characters are designed to mirror each other. But make no mistake, they are both terrible rulers that justify attrocities against their own people for selfish gain.

Tarly is not a Great House. Do not put them on the same level as the Starks, Lannisters, Tyrells, Arryns, Tullys, Martells, Baratheons, or even the Greyjoys. 

Also only the Dickon and his father were killed and they atleast got to actually fight their enemy openly. Sucks for them they went up against a dragon but them be the breaks when you go up against someone who is known for having 3 freaking dragons at their command. House Tyrell was instead blown up in a terrorist attack against the Faith of the Seven by The Mad Queen Carol.

Also their is no trend of Dany showing hints of that good ol' Targ madness. There was the display of Dany wanting to hurry up and end the damn war but her advisors telling her to not use the advantages she had and instead follow their plans which were all brutally crushed in the span of two episodes. literally Dorne and the Greyjoys was taken out of the picture in one surprise attack in one episode and then in the following episode Tyrion's taking of Casterly Rock was rendered moot by Jaime and Cersei just up and abandoning it to attack Highgarden. 

Dany should have landed her armies in Dorne or the Reach and Marched on Kingslanding in episode 2. 

It shows that Dany has no competent Generals since Ser Barristan "The Muthafuggin' Bold" Selmy was unceremoniously killed in a back alley scuffle in Mereen because D$D wanted it to happen.    

I think Dany and Cersei have a lot of similarities.  Except Dany is a better person than Cersei.  Dany's good intentions in Essos can be just as destructive as Cersei's actions in Westeros.  (I am in the mind that you can't just end slavery forever so easily)  I also think that Dany's intentions of winning the Iron Throne are selfish.  Dany wants to claim her birthright except her family was deposed for good reason.  There was three generations of Targs who acted selfishly (Dany's grandparents and their siblings, Aerys and Rhaegar) and Targs lost support from the people they were ruling.  And I doubt Dany is going to win back that support.  I don't know what Dany has to offer to Westerosi.  She is not offering smallfolk reforms (which is the only thing that I can think of that will gain wide support from the Faith and the people).  She is just having vague promises of breaking the wheel.

I think Dany is a good person overall and believes that she should use her power for good, but she's not a good ruler.  But I also believe Essos will be in chaos for some time since Dany disrupted the social and economic structure in Essos without providing a good alternative (and not understanding that it is her armies and dragons is what made it possible for slavery to end in the first place.  And that by removing said armies and dragons when she went to Westeros she doomed any progress she made in Essos.) 

Archived