NBA Finals 2018: Do Or Die For The Cleveland LeBrons

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

That's nice. I'm a Hornets fan. 

I'm a Bucks fan. At least nominally.  They have been so bad for so long that I have not the energy to give them much attention.  The few flirtations they've had with being decent have only added to the pain by proving to be ephemeral.  Watching Giannis (sp?) has been a treat but I'm all but certain that no matter his intentions now, that in a year or two he will realize he is playing in a basketball black hole and find a way to get free and get himself to a team that can actually give him a supporting cast or even a legit 2nd star.   Its a horribly mismanaged team that will fail to capitalize in the stroke of luck its had. 

As for this off-season, I suspect LJ will leave Cleveland but Durant will stay in place to try to win another championship or two.  

6 minutes ago, sperry said:

Gotta love one of the saddest ring-chasers of all time making vague allusions to "adversity" that this heroic bunch had to overcome.

Yeah when they were doing the post-game interviews talking about how tough it was...it's just like, shut the fuck up.  You took a 73 win team and added the second-best player in the NBA.  You can fuck right off with any bullshit about adversity, especially since the two times they actually faced it the refs happily bailed them out and swung pivotal games in their favor.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah when they were doing the post-game interviews talking about how tough it was...it's just like, shut the fuck up.  

For real. What the fuck are these people even talking about? 

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Is what GS doing that much different/more outrageous than previous dynasty teams?

The 90s bulls had Jordan, Pippen + support cast, likesay Rodman.

Lakers had Shaq and Kobe + support

Miami had James and Wade + support.

Yes it is.

The Bulls added Rodman to replace the rebounding and defense of Horace Grant, who they had lost during Jordan's brief retirement. The lack of rebounding and defense caused them to lose against Shaq and Penny (and Horace, yikes) and not make the finals.

The Lakers with Shaq and Kobe didn't start winning until Phil Jackson appeared, before that they would lose to the Jazz and Spurs. They were not a well-oiled machine.

Miami was not championship material in-between the 2006 championship and 2010 when LeBron and Bosh appeared. Matter of fact the Heat went through some horrible years.

Meanwhile the Warriors were already a champion, they were a hair's breath away from repeating as champions and then they added Durant.

The difference between the Warriors and the other teams is that they were missing vital components preventing them from becoming champions. The Warriors were already the absolute best team in the NBA, even without Durant.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

For real. What the fuck are these people even talking about? 

It is shocking how little self-awareness Kevin Durant has. He somehow didn't realize that this was the response he was going to get from everyone when he went to Golden State. He has spent the last two years saying and doing bizarre things to try to justify his actions.

Does he really need to justify his actions?

The guy carried OKC for years and decided he's had enough and joined the team that gave him best chance of winning the ring. There's no denying it made the league a whole lot less interesting but it's not his responsibility to keep the league interesting. There are people who should be doing that job and they failed.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

The guy carried OKC for years and decided he's had enough and joined the team that gave him best chance of winning the ring. There's no denying it made the league a whole lot less interesting but it's not his responsibility to keep the league interesting. There are people who should be doing that job and they failed.

It's not about justifying. It's just weird to complain about how "hard" a road his team had to another championship when we all know the Warriors basically rule the NBA with an iron fist.

21 minutes ago, baxus said:

No, but in turn we have a right to critique his actions. Is it petty? Yes, but all sports fandom is. 

Durant is a big child. An intelligent child who is brilliant at basketball, but a child nonetheless. He likes to play xbox on his time off. That's his number one activity aside from balling. I don't really hold it against him from taking the "easy" way out, but i hate what its done to the league. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

No, but in turn we have a right to critique his actions. Is it petty? Yes, but all sports fandom is. 

Durant is a big child. An intelligent child who is brilliant at basketball, but a child nonetheless. He likes to play xbox on his time off. That's his number one activity aside from balling. I don't really hold it against him from taking the "easy" way out, but i hate what its done to the league. 

His level of insecurity is brow raising to me. It's like his main quest as a player is to prove every doubter wrong, and make them regret ever thinking/saying anything bad about him. And yeah, that's normal for an athlete in any sport, but I think KD takes it to another level. That shot he hit in game 3 is a good example. It's like his teammates were more excited about hitting the shot than himself, where he seemed more focused on snarling at anyone who would dare say something bad about him. His famous MVP speech from a couple years back - he talks about Caron Butler putting an MVP sign on his locker after he had a bad stretch of games, and how much that meant to him that everyone had his back. I don't know, seems like he's a little kid that constantly needs people to tell him what a good job he's doing. I think he's thin-skinned and needs praise more than your average person. 

42 minutes ago, baxus said:

Apparently he thinks so, because he's constantly trying to do so and created a bunch of burner accounts to defend himself on social media.  He knows that what he did was an all-time weak move and that basically no one outside of the Bay respects him for it.  If he didn't know that, he wouldn't spend so much time trying to justify himself to everyone.

50 minutes ago, baxus said:

Carried OKC? Westbrook is not exactly chopped liver. Durant was not a one man band there.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Carried OKC? Westbrook is not exactly chopped liver. Durant was not a one man band there.

Would have had Harden too if their owner wasn't a cheapskate.  

51 minutes ago, briantw said:

Would have had Harden too if their owner wasn't a cheapskate.  

Sure, but I was talking about the state of the team at the time Durant left.

It's also hard to imagine Westbrook and Harden sharing the ball now. In retrospect, maybe they should have kept Harden and dealt Westbrook.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Sure, but I was talking about the state of the team at the time Durant left.

It's also hard to imagine Westbrook and Harden sharing the ball now. In retrospect, maybe they should have kept Harden and dealt Westbrook.

I think this is the correct conclusion in hindsight, although it was far from obvious at the time. Harden was sick of being 3rd banana, which he was always going to be in OKC. He had told the team that he was going to sign the qualifying offer, which would have made him a UFA in 2014. It wasn't about a difference of a few bucks on the contract.

The other piece of the narrative that bugs me is that people act as if the Thunder just gutted their roster by trading Harden, which flat out isn't true. The very next year, 2013, they had the best record in the NBA and would have been a legitimate threat to win the title if Patrick Beverley hadn't injured Westbrook with a complete bullshit play. In 2014, they lost in the WCF to the Spurs team that won the title. In 2015, KD got hurt. And everyone knows what happened in 2016.

Al Horford planned to sign with the Thunder in the 2016 offseason if KD stayed, which would have made the Thunder starting lineup Westbrook, Oladipo, Roberson, Durant, and Horford.

Archived