NBA Finals 2018: Do Or Die For The Cleveland LeBrons

Mr. Chatywin et al.

14 hours ago, sperry said:

Again, this team is so good that Andre Iguodala, an all-star and finals MVP, became a role player.

This team is so good that it won a championship with Javale F’ing Mcgee as a starting player. AND it made Swaggy F’ing P a champion. They are mocking us and the sports Gods!

Also, the LeBron punching a whiteboard thing is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This team is so good that it won a championship with Javale F’ing Mcgee as a starting player. AND it made Swaggy F’ing P a champion. They are mocking us and the sports Gods!

Also, the LeBron punching a whiteboard thing is hilarious.

The Sports Gods are vicious cunts!

35 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Warriors still interested in obtaining Anthony Davis

Article has the definite feel of being clickbait.  Very little in the article to justify the sensational headline, but that's just trolling NBA fans at this point by even suggesting to add the best big man in the game to the roster isn't it?

The thing about Davis and New Orleans is they both deserve better.

19 hours ago, sperry said:

The whole difference here is that the previous guys left situations where they had no shot at winning, and did not jump into a situation that was already fantastic. It was their presence that lifted that situation up. This is simply about perception, nobody is disputing KD's right to do it. But the perception of the masses is that KD crossed a line of what is fair in competition and what isn't, and he's going to be judged accordingly.

It is almost impossible to come up with a really good comparison of what KD did.  This is a former league MVP, entering his physical prime, leaving the third most talented team in the league to join a 72 win team that won the championship the previous year, and (arguably) only lost this year because of bad luck/injuries.  

The closest possible analogy I can come up with would be if in 2004 league MVP Kevin Garnett left the Twolves after losing in the WCF to join the Spurs (who won in 2003 and 2005).  A spurs team with Duncan, Garnett, Parker and Ginobili (plus Bowen to play Iggy's role) is pretty close to how ridiculous the Warriors are. But even that wouldn't be as bad, because the 2004 Spurs were merely very good, not historically great, and the TWolves supporting cast was nowhere near as good as the team Durant left. 

Obviously KD is free to do what he wants.  But fans are welcome to criticise when players take the easy road to a championship.  Lebron winning one championship in Cleveland is more impressive to me than him winning two in Miami.  KD winning two championships on GS just isn't impressive because that team is so good a championship is virtually assured.  He walked into a situation where he'll get his titles, but he'll never really get the respect he thinks he deserves.  Any GSW title has a little asterisk that "this title won on easy mode". 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Of course there are.  How many Bulls fans do you know today?  Yet they were everywhere when MJ played.  Those were Jordan fans, not Bulls fans.

And some of us having retained our childhood loyalties. As small child, my family and I pulled for the Bulls in the Jordan years even before 1993. But that was (1) before there was a Charlotte Hornets, and (2) because my family operates on the principle of pulling for UNC players in the NBA. I still pull for the Bulls. My friend and I even pulled for the Bulls in 2015 at Oracle Stadium. (Bulls won that game, by the way.) The Hornets just sit at the top of my NBA fandom priority list out of regional loyalties as any good North Carolinian should. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Dwayne Casey to coach the Pistons

Well, he didn't have to move far to go from Toronto to Detroit at least...

I'm really hoping that all the nonsense names that were leaked (Jason Kidd, Kenny Smith, etc.) were just to make them look good when they hired an actual competent coach that no one would normally get excited about.

9 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

But what does this mean for the Cavs and their fans? If the Cavs are a horrible team made sufficiently great to be carried to the Finals on LeBron's back, then his departure would basically be a (second) death knell for the franchise and most of the players on that roster. Who could you possibly trade or attract to Cleveland after LeBron leaves?

Well, if LeBron leaves, the Cavs will have no cap space anyway, so I'd imagine that the plan will be to trade off whatever they can for assets and start a rebuild.  Thus, worrying about who they could attract in free agency is irrelevant, as they certainly won't be buyers.  

In general, players tend to chase money these days, with market size being a much smaller concern than it was in the past because the internet age allows for them to seek endorsements anywhere.  Once the Cavs have cap space again, I'd imagine they'll be able to attract just about anyone looking for a payday, same as any other small market team.  They'd probably be out of the running for the biggest stars in the league, but that's the case for basically every team that doesn't draft them or isn't currently contending or close to it.

Archived