NBA Finals 2018: Do Or Die For The Cleveland LeBrons

Mr. Chatywin et al.

16 hours ago, briantw said:

Myles Garrett throwing some shade at Durant.  All true, of course, but nice to see a high-profile athlete come out and say it.

I'm guessing the distaste is pretty much universal among pro players; most athletes just aren't going to ruffle feathers against such a high profile athlete.

18 hours ago, briantw said:

Paul and James almost certainly are not taking less than the max.  As the heads of the Player's Association, they are basically obligated to take as much money as they can.

Weren't you just using LeBron's unwillingness to take less than the max as a reason why he is personally responsible for Cleveland's failures? But now you are saying he is actually obligated not to take less than the max? 

I can't imagine the Spurs would placate any of Kawhi's desires to go to the Lakers or Clippers.  The team and fanbase doesn't want to see him in the Western playoffs against them every other year.

Boston in my opinion can assemble the best package out of all the likely suitors.  

P.S. Sixers coach and interim GM Brett Brown is going to be interviewed in a few minutes on a local radio show.  Brown spent a dozen years in San Antonio and worked alongside Kawhi as director of player development for two years.

In my opinion the Sixers should trade SA anything they want except Joel and Simmons.  Fultz, Dario, Covington, and the #10 pick for Kawhi.  LeBron's decision would become very simple.

28 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Fultz, Dario, Covington, and the #10 pick for Kawhi

That's too much.  Take out one of Dario/Covington and I could see it.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Fair enough, but he's damaged goods one way or the other and he's not going to re-sign in Boston.

Just 4 days ago the Spurs were expected to offer Kawhi a five-year, $219 million extension.  We can now assume this was a last ditch effort to repair the fractured relationship.  It failed.  However, it's clear that he's not physically damaged goods.  Any team trading for him obviously has to request the medical reports in their due dilligence.

Now damaged goods as far as mentally?  Maybe, who knows?  I'm not disguising the fact that I'm overly bias towards Kawhi.  Hell last year you can find statements from me saying he was going to be surpass LeBron as the best player in the world.  Even though it didn't come into fruition--thanks Zaza--I still believe it's possible.  Not as much as October 2016 but Kawhi's talent makes up for his crazy 2017 season.

15 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

That's too much.  Take out one of Dario/Covington and I could see it.

Possibly.  I don't think the Sixers should take any chances.  Can't let Kawhi go to Boston.

FYI, Brett Brown is obviously interested.  He blatantly avoided answering the interviewers question about whether the Sixers would make an offer.  He only echoed the interviewers previous statement about the many teams that will show interest in Kawhi.

5 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Weren't you just using LeBron's unwillingness to take less than the max as a reason why he is personally responsible for Cleveland's failures? But now you are saying he is actually obligated not to take less than the max? 

LeBron chose to head the Players' Association.  Personally, I think it was a short-sighted move, as is demanding a max contract every year.  Yes, he's absolutely worth a max.  He's worth double the max for the impact he has on your team.  However, in a world where a bunch of other top stars are taking less to keep a superteam together, LeBron can't demand the max every year and expect his teams to beat a Golden State where guys are sacrificing.  I don't think that players should feel obligated to take less than they are worth, but when the team that keeps beating you does it repeatedly, you either have to start doing it too or accept that you're probably not winning against them. 

And what I said about LeBron is that his insistence on only taking max contracts, along with making sure the guys his agent represents get overpaid by the Cavs, has left the Cavs in luxury tax hell.  I believe they're staring down the barrel of a 140 million tax payment alone this year, and that's a sum that even a deep-pocketed man who has been willing to burn money like Dan Gilbert may balk at paying for a team that has zero chance of being favored against Golden State.

That's why, as I said, repeatedly demanding the max is a short-sighted move by LeBron.  He may be worth it, but if I were him I'd have been more concerned with my legacy these last couple of years, not making sure the Player's Association is adequately represented.  And taking less money so the Cavs could have build a better team around him would have done a hell of a lot more for his legacy than making a few extra million, money he'll be able to make back through endorsements after he's retired.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:28 AM, briantw said:

Personally, I think that, if the Thunder keep that Durant/Harden/Westbrook core together, they absolutely win at least one of the next three titles after losing in 2011.

Without a doubt. And, the league wouldve been better for it 

1 minute ago, Esmenet said:

Without a doubt. And, the league wouldve been better for it 

I think it was actually the 2012 Finals they lost in, but yeah either way I think they win one of the next three after that.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

This is really, really bad for the league's passionate fanbase. You just can't have a system where nobody but the "destination" teams can keep their guys.

To be honest, I think the NBA is better in that regard than it has ever been.  It's a hell of a lot easier for small markets to keep guys and build teams than it was a decade ago.  

The league was broken because the second best player didn't want to work hard.

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't want my team to deal for a one year rental of a pouty quitter.

I don't blame you. The shit Kawhi pulled this season is some high school level bullshit. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

To be honest, I think the NBA is better in that regard than it has ever been.  It's a hell of a lot easier for small markets to keep guys and build teams than it was a decade ago.  

The league was broken because the second best player didn't want to work hard.

I think it was, but I think again, the Durant decision has distorted that. Guys who would stay put don't see a path to a championship with the teams that drafted them.

Archived