SWOT Analysis: Team Night Watch

Hello everyone.  I thought this might be a fun exercise for those with time on their hands.  We could do a SWOT analysis of each team.  Today we will do an analysis of Team Jon Snow.  I will check back next week and if the forum enjoys we can continue with Team Robb.  The other teams will follow.

S - Strengths 

W - Weaknesses

O - Opportunities

T - Threats

S Are the advantages the team has over other teams.  What this team does better than any other team.  What resources the team has.

W Are the weaknesses this team has compared to other teams.  What can the team improve.  What resources do they lack.

O How the team can turn their strengths to achieve their objective.  What the team can do to better the competition.

T What could prevent the team from reaching its objectives.  What could harm the team.  What the competing teams can do that can hurt the team.

The links below gives more info on this business tool.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_05.htm

I so hope you will enjoy this exercise.  You can make it simple or as complicated as you like.  Please use the format below.

Team Name:  Jon Snow and the Night Watch

Team:  Jon Snow, the Night Watch, and the Wildlings under Thormund

Team Objective:  

Time:  Analyze the team during the time period when they were at peace.  In other words, before the pink letter. 

S:

W:

O:

T:

Some strengths:

A supreme defensive position relative to their main threat (as they see it).

Excellent know-how (if not resources) when it comes to construction and training.

Plenty of room for expansion :\

Team Snow/NW/Wildlings pre-pink letter, evaluated on their objective of surviving winter and the potential invasion of the others.

S:  the Wall as a defense from attacks on the north, resources from the Iron Bank loan, familiarity with winter and the enemy, support from King Stannis who shares their objective.

W:  not enough food, not enough manpower, lack of support from current warden of the North or King Tommen, humans get cold and tired during winter

O:  Rally unified support of north and more manpower/supplies if King Stannis takes winterfell, can fortify abandoned castles along the wall to improve defenses

T:  internal turmoil, lack of team discipline, could be flanked from shadow tower

It's not a popular topic!  Oh well.  Being a major in strategic business management gives me an appreciation for these business tools. 

Here's my own analysis of the watch.

S - They have been around for a long time.  Most of the men are loyal.  They know the north very well.  The wall itself is a strong defensive barrier.

W - Lack of numbers.  Inexperienced lord commander.  Lord commander is not totally dedicated to the watch.  Jon is the weakest link because he takes sides in the wars of the realm.

O -  They increased their numbers with wildlings.  They got a loan from the bank.  

T -   The White Walkers.   Jon's own feelings and his inability to forget the Starks got them in trouble with the Boltons.

Strengths

They're defending from a good position.  I.E., they have the high ground.  They know the enemy is coming.  

Weaknesses

Too many mouths to feed.  Conflicted leader.  The lord commander has personal interest that could hurt the watch.  

Opportunities

They have time to prepare.  The enemy hates the sunlight.  Obsidian kills the enemy.

Threats

The Others.  Starvation.  Wildling mutiny. 

On 6/7/2018 at 7:36 AM, Damsel in Distress said:

Team Name:  Jon Snow and the Night Watch

Team:  Jon Snow, the Night Watch, and the Wildlings under Thormund

Team Objective:  

Time:  Analyze the team during the time period when they were at peace.  In other words, before the pink letter. 

S:  The wall.  They're fighting from behind a 700' wall.  They have men who know how to fight.  They have a red witch on their side.

W:  Their Lord Commander has personal issues with the Warden of the North and his son.  Jon is not fit to lead and command.

The wildlings are lacking in discipline.

O:  They still have a chance to get help from the lords.  They had a chance to talk Stannis to give up his claim and take the Black in exchange for Bolton support.  

T:  The WW obviously.  Cold.  Lack of unity.  Lack of long term food supply.  

Archived