DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

6 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I think the edited BVS is a much superior film in that it now makes BVS a movie that makes sense plotwise. I still hate it though for the story itself and portrayal of the characters.

Still, if they had released a PG-13 version if this as the original theatrical cut, they might not be in the situation they are now. Literally every thing I've read from people who've seen it say it's a much better film than the original theatrical release.

5 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Still, if they had released a PG-13 version if this as the original theatrical cut, they might not be in the situation they are now. Literally every thing I've read from people who've seen it say it's a much better film than the original theatrical release.

Very likely.

Wouldn't change my opinions on Snyder's interpretation of Batman, Superman, and the DCEU though, but that's just me.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Very likely.

Wouldn't change my opinions on Snyder's interpretation of Batman, Superman, and the DCEU though, but that's just me.

That's fair. But I think it would have been good to have something that contrasts the MCU.  Let one be The Beatles and the other be the Rolling Stones.  Instead, we're getting the Beatles and (very likely) a Beatles tribute band.

The first manifestation of this was Justice League.  It was OK for a second rate Marvel movie.  Say what you will about the previous films, they were ambitious.  Justice league... just wasn't.  Oh, and their "course correction" cut a Darkseid cameo, Iris West and Willem Dafoe out of the film, so 'no', I'm not confident going forward.

I remember hearing that the Flash film was going be an adaptation of Flashpoint Paradox.  My first thought was, "Cool!"  My second thought was "God I hope they don't make it."  Flashpoint Paradox is a fucking heavy, brutal story and the only way to do it with their "course correction", would be to rip the guts out of it. 

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That's fair. But I think it would have been good to have something that contrasts the MCU.  Let one be The Beatles and the other be the Rolling Stones.  Instead, we're getting the Beatles and (very likely) a Beatles tribute band.

The first manifestation of this was Justice League.  It was OK for a second rate Marvel movie.  Say what you will about the previous films, the were ambitious.  Justice league... just wasn't.  Oh, and their "course correction" cut a Darkseid cameo, Iris West and Willem Dafoe out of the film, so 'no', I'm not confident going forward.

I remember hearing that the Flash film was going be an adaptation of Flashpoint Paradox.  My first thought was, "Cool!"  My second thought was "God I hope they don't make it."  Flashpoint Paradox is a fucking heavy, brutal story and the only way to do it with their "course correction", would be to rip the guts out of it. 

I don't know, I think if done right we could have gotten something live-action similar to the 90's and a bit into the 00's cartoons. FOX Kids' Marvel Universe with X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk, and the DCAU with Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, The Zeta Project, Justice Leauge, and JLU.

Both cartoon universes were unique while both stayed true to the core of the main characters, and both delivered great and compelling stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean they are ditching the DC shared universe? I can't see how Joaquin and Leto joker could be the same person. Makes me wonder about the fan theory that Leto joker was actually Jason Todd making him the second joker.

Not too worried about the director as plenty of comedy directors have gone on to make good superhero films. I'm just concerned about the chaotic nature of the DC film releases

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

SHAZAM! trailer!

Well... looks like whatever remnants of the “No comedy” mandate from the early DCEU are well and truly gone. :lol: 

I like the look of both of those. Abandoning the 'gritty' idea and going for sheer joy of superherodom and both look to have nailed the tone they need.

I hope there are more serious, or at least more dramatic and epic, parts to Shazam!, but the comedy side works for me and the look, while not as fantasy-cool as he can sometimes be, works well for what it's doing too.

Wan looks like he's got a fun character out of the bro-douche that Justice League created.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There was a mandate?

I liked the Shazam trailer the first time I saw it... as Spiderman: Homecoming.

Aquaman looks pretty good.

In August 2014 there was a report that there was a No Jokes policy.

If I remember the original story, it was that some big wig wrote Jokes on a board in a planning meeting and crossed it out.

The reception of BvS caused a significant shift leading to things like the last minute reshoots on Suicide Squad.

5 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

At least Shazam and Aquaman don't look beat ovee the head with the grimdark tone of the DCEU films.

Until Shazam kills all the kids at the orphanage and aquaman fillets flipper in the final acts.

Both films look like they are doing their own thing which is probably a good risk given how the other films have generally fared.

43 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In August 2014 there was a report that there was a No Jokes policy.

If I remember the original story, it was that some big wig wrote Jokes on a board in a planning meeting and crossed it out.

The reception of BvS caused a significant shift leading to things like the last minute reshoots on Suicide Squad.

It's on the internet so it must be true.

I would file that one under "not bloody likely."

58 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It's on the internet so it must be true.

I would file that one under "not bloody likely."

Nah. It was quite the kerfluffle back in the day.  It was generally accepted to be true back then.

Archived