DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

38 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Maybe Joker is missing and Harley needs help to get him back? Could be a fun way to have the League of Assassins show up. Ra's has kidnapped the clown for nefarious purposes regarding Batman.

That's a neat idea, but seems a bit complicated for film 1. Also, are Birds of Prey historically really concerned with the Joker?

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's a neat idea, but seems a bit complicated for film 1. Also, are Birds of Prey historically really concerned with the Joker?

I don't think so.

Hopefully they'll do it right and have a nice slow first 30 to 45 minutes to introduce the characters.

17 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Isn't Harley Quinn the villain? She's not a member of the team, I thought.

I'm automatically assuming Harley will be the lead given the entire film is built around her/Margot Robbie. Probably suggesting her time in suicide squad made her the antihero she is in the current comics

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm automatically assuming Harley will be the lead given the entire film is built around her/Margot Robbie. Probably suggesting her time in suicide squad made her the antihero she is in the current comics

I anticipate half the film’s running time to be slow shots of Robbie’s ass.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:42 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

Isn't Harley Quinn the villain? She's not a member of the team, I thought.

I think DC should lean into the popularity of their roster of women heroes/antiheroes. Wonder Woman is obviously popular, but from Suicide Squad, I really get the sense that Quinn/Robey was the biggest draw. This focus on women (instead of being grimy and dark) is really an interesting, fun way to distinguish from Marvel's universe. DC obviously has a lot of popular male heroes, but DC's filmverse really seems primed to take Wonder Woman as the lead of Justice League, and to make Harley Quinn a primary center of interest in the connected films.

Of course, all indications are, DC thinks no connected filmverse is the best course of action too, which I think is dumb as shit. But what do I know?

On 9/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, Rhom said:

I anticipate half the film’s running time to be slow shots of Robbie’s ass.

It's a different director and Robbie seems to be heavily involved in the production so it might not be the same (although it could be).

Wonder woman is clearly DC's most successful character so far (although this isn't true if you look at the history of the characters outside the DCU) and while it makes sense to have her character feature prominently in any team film it doesn't mean she has to be the leader. Wolverine works far better with Cyclops as the leader even if wolverine is the main character. Wonder woman makes sense as a leader I just don't agree with the assumption the most popular character should be the leader.

Poison Ivy could also work as a villain but my fear there would be a shitty CGI fest with the birds fighting hordes of plant people.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

Poison Ivy could also work as a villain but my fear there would be a shitty CGI fest with the birds fighting hordes of plant people.

Poison Ivy is unlikely to be the villain as she has to be Harley Quinn's mate in Gotham City Sirens, which seems to have been postponed but not cancelled. That film worries me far more than this because David Ayer is in charge of that one and he's a whole lot less suited to it than he ever was to Suicide Squad- I honestly hope he gets let go and someone more suitable brought in.

I suppose it's not impossible that they use this movie to set that one up somewhat in which case Poison Ivy could be the villain.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I suppose it's not impossible that they use this movie to set that one up somewhat in which case Poison Ivy could be the villain.

Using one movie to set up another in a logical sequence? You, sir, have not been paying attention to the DCCU. This is a strict names-out-of-a-hat deal I’m afraid.

It does feel like Warners just announce DC films left, right and centre without much thought on execution and how they fit into their release schedule. Harley Quinn was the best thing about an awful movie does that really warrant two spin off films with her as the lead? Hopefully only one of the two films is actually happening. Maybe they will make Harley the villain in this one? Or a character caught between sides? I can't even recall if she was still a prisoner at the end of suicide squad.

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

It does feel like Warners just announce DC films left, right and centre without much thought on execution and how they fit into their release schedule. Harley Quinn was the best thing about an awful movie does that really warrant two spin off films with her as the lead? Hopefully only one of the two films is actually happening. Maybe they will make Harley the villain in this one? Or a character caught between sides? I can't even recall if she was still a prisoner at the end of suicide squad.

Joker busted her out. Which doesn't really help a possible Anti-Hero turn.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Joker busted her out. Which doesn't really help a possible Anti-Hero turn.

Ah, right. I've clearly tried to block most of that film from my memory. I think I made it to the end...

I guess the revolving prison door for supervillains means they can stay "free" with relative ease. 

4 hours ago, red snow said:

It does feel like Warners just announce DC films left, right and centre without much thought on execution and how they fit into their release schedule. Harley Quinn was the best thing about an awful movie does that really warrant two spin off films with her as the lead?

Three. Joker and Harley Quinn, Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey.

ETA - oh, and there were rumours of a solo HQ movie, plus Suicide Squad 2. Because you all really want to see five more Harley Quinn movies! You must do, you liked her in that one movie!

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Three. Joker and Harley Quinn, Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey.

ETA - oh, and there were rumours of a solo HQ movie, plus Suicide Squad 2. Because you all really want to see five more Harley Quinn movies! You must do, you liked her in that one movie!

Yet wonder woman just gets to show up in justice League. Clearly Margot Robbie has a better agent and/or producers on her side!

It would be akin to rob Delaney's Pete from Deadpool 2 getting an x-calibur, Pete and kitty pryde, captain Britain and MI13, and Deadpool 3 movie. Assuming he was playing Pete Wisdom.

I sometimes think decision making for DCU films is like the episode of South park where manatees selected balls to determine choices.

There are two reasons Quinn's getting so much more of an apparent push than WW. First is that she's by accounts I've read DC's second-best selling character at this point and sometimes outsells Batman, as well as being hugely popular in the cartoons - they're aware she has a crossover appeal. And she's built it relatively quickly, since she first appeared in 1992. To appropriate red snow's analogy, she's not Pete, she's DC's Deadpool - she just happened to appear in an ensemble film first.

And the other is that being a Bat-family character already gives her a history of being in lots of stuff and having avenues to crossover, which is being used to launch franchises. They're not being used to push her, she's being used to push them. WW just doesn't really have the same history.

It might not be the right decision, time will tell, but it's not something that they just made up for no reason.

The problem with that argument is that all of that was true prior to her appearance in Suicide Squad, yet at that point there was no talk of any of these other HQ movies being made.

Those other movies are absolutely a reaction to SS.

the extended trailer has me hoping this might be more of a "wonder woman" for DC. Not sure if it's because the trailer is long but it feels as if this movie has a lot to pack in. Some interesting shots featured eg the chase through the rooftops - feels very computer gamey with the panned out shot.

What was expected has happen:

James Gunn has been hired by Warner Brosand DC to write with an eye to direct the next installment of the Suicide Squad franchise. It’s the first job he’s taken since he parted ways with Disney, which let him go from the lucrative Guardians of the Galaxy franchise in July in the wake of old controversial tweets that had been compiled by alt-right journalists and sent to Disney.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/james-gunn-boards-suicide-squad-2-to-write-and-possibly-direct-1202479455/

The move to D.C is what was expected, not Suicide Squad specifically. It states so far it is to write the sequal though it is expected he will direct it eventually.

Archived