DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

On 2/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah, but Marvel had Loki for a number of years. And Marvel  also has been hyping up Thanos way more effectively  than the DCEU has been hyping up Darkseid. And Batman was a protagonist in BVS and his appearance in SS was basically a cameo. Even if was doing something bad, rather than arresting murderers and thieves, in SS I don’t see him being a good villain.

I was more joking about the fact that Affleck Batman is far darker/evil 

29 minutes ago, mormont said:

So, there's not only an Aquaman sequel but a spinoff. Based around... the trench creatures.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-aquaman-spinoff-is-happening-without-any-of-aquamans-1832474996

That seems random.

sounds to me like it's probably directed more towards the Asian market which proved very lucrative - a bit like how a lot of the transformers and pacific rim sequels were targeted for them

Cameron will be frustrated that all these underwater fantasy films are coming out before his avatar sequels as the guy is obsessed with the ocean and rumour was a sequel would feature underwater civilizations. Guess that's what happens when you take ten years to make a sequel

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

So, there's not only an Aquaman sequel but a spinoff. Based around... the trench creatures.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-aquaman-spinoff-is-happening-without-any-of-aquamans-1832474996

That seems random.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's because Geoff Johns is still involved in producing and organising the DC films and The Trench is his baby and it's been pushed quite hard in the comics to since he intro'd it and while he's been one of the key creative decision-makers for the comic line.

Are those the creepy crustacean things from the trailer? I think they were on a boat or something? They looked wicked cool, literally cooler than anything else in the DCEU. 

They reminded me of one of Davy Jones' lieutenants in the second and third Pirates movies, the one whose head was basically a clam covered in coral.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

Cameron will be frustrated that all these underwater fantasy films are coming out before his avatar sequels as the guy is obsessed with the ocean and rumour was a sequel would feature underwater civilizations. Guess that's what happens when you take ten years to make a sequel

Give the guy a break! Those Terminator: Genysis movies can't betray audiences' trust by themselves! 

That was probably back breaking labor, all those interviews about how good it was. Carrying a weight like that on your conscience can really fuck up your spine bro!

Saw a Shazam trailer when I went to see Alita: Battle Angel last night (6.5/10 for Alita BTW). It's the first trailer that made me think Shazam would be worth seeing. So my chances of seeing Shazam at the movies have gone from below 50% to above 50% now. As I am not a fan of Shazam, nor read a single comic featuring the character, my decision will rest a lot more on reviews than for other Superhero movies.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:18 AM, Heartofice said:

I don't think it's their biggest problem by a long shot. I'd put it behind bad scripts, bad cgi, rushed storytelling, building a universe over telling a story, Zach Snyder..

MCU has managed to get out some good movies despite rarely having a decent villain in any of them. 

I’ll be honest I find most of the MCU movies to be mediocre story-wise. The great ones have complimentary villains to the hero(oes).Infinity war was great because the villain was great

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

The other Captain Marvel wants you to know he has a movie coming out, too.

I dug this.

I thought this looked a lot better than the first trailer. It still has a bit of a low budget look, but the more humour in this the better IMO

It's looking really fun, even if I don't like the version of Sivana they've gone for (much prefer him as a ludicriously OTT mad scientist caricature tbh, and it feels like that version would suit the tone of this film better too). That's the only downside though and I'm sure he'll still be fine.

8 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Variety is reporting Idris Elba is taking over the role of Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2.

I'd almost say he's too big for the role (career wise). Then again a James Gunn version might make the role more substantial. My fear is that they might waste elba on a small part preventing him from taking on other DC roles. In much the same way he was wasted in the MCU.

It's odd how he's becoming the go to actor for characters who change the colour of their skin with Roland Deschain and  oft touted James Bond. I guess even the nerdiest of comic fans and those hung up on racial "continuity" can't deny Elba is great. Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd almost say he's too big for the role (career wise). Then again a James Gunn version might make the role more substantial. My fear is that they might waste elba on a small part preventing him from taking on other DC roles. In much the same way he was wasted in the MCU.

It's odd how he's becoming the go to actor for characters who change the colour of their skin with Roland Deschain and  oft touted James Bond. I guess even the nerdiest of comic fans and those hung up on racial "continuity" can't deny Elba is great. Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

Elba too big for the role career wise?!!?

Hes replacing Will Smith.  I know Elba gets a disproportionate amount of love around these parts but come on... let’s go walk down the street and ask twenty people to identify pictures of Smith and Elba and see which one is bigger.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hes replacing Will Smith.  I know Elba gets a disproportionate amount of love around these parts but come on... let’s go walk down the street and ask twenty people to identify pictures of Smith and Elba and see which one is bigger.

I get the point though. I think it was a little surprising that Smith took the role initially, but his career has been on a downward curve for a bit and was probably struggling for something that will be a success. 

Elba I agree could take any number of roles, taking Deadshot would rule him out of a lot of future projects potentially. Having said that he's been in a surprising number of major movies as a side character, but really only starred in a few blockbuster movies, like Dark Tower, and those have flopped. 

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I thought the same thing for Will Smith. It seemed a backwards choice for him not playing the star and being part of an ensemble crew. I think he must be really good friends with the director as he did "bright" after that as well. Just seems strange choices for Smith who us a bankable A-lister.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Idk, comic-book wise Deadshot is as close to a main character as Suicide Squad has ever had.

And it's not like he's replacing some no-name actor.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought the same thing for Will Smith. It seemed a backwards choice for him not playing the star and being part of an ensemble crew. I think he must be really good friends with the director as he did "bright" after that as well. Just seems strange choices for Smith who us a bankable A-lister.

Ah.  I understand better now.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

I want Mads Mikkelsen to play Vandal Savage at some point but if he doesn't then Idris Elba would be an excellent second choice.

Still, I feel like Deadshot was also being aimed for a solo movie at some point and while that didn't work out and Harley got all the attention, they might not be giving up on the idea. And I'd like to see if Elba can bring that little edge of madness that Floyd Lawton should have (shouldn't be a problem for John Luther).

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I want Mads Mikkelsen to play Vandal Savage at some point but if he doesn't then Idris Elba would be an excellent second choice.

Still, I feel like Deadshot was also being aimed for a solo movie at some point and while that didn't work out and Harley got all the attention, they might not be giving up on the idea. And I'd like to see if Elba can bring that little edge of madness that Floyd Lawton should have (shouldn't be a problem for John Luther).

Mads and Elba - they must appear on 95% of all casting wishlists.

It's bizarre just how much DC has invested/banked on Harley essentially being the standout character in an awful film. I actually thought deadshot and boomerang were passable too but again that's mainly due to the other characters being devoid of anything memorable.

Archived