DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's bizarre just how much DC has invested/banked on Harley essentially being the standout character in an awful film.

Well to be fair it's also (1) that Harley is the second best-selling DC character these days apparently and (2) Robbie's Quinn got the kind of attention that really wasn't much about the quality of the film she was in.

I mean, it's weird that she's basically their Iron Man now, but I can't say I dislike it...

Although I don't understand why she's in Birds of Prey.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well to be fair it's also (1) that Harley is the second best-selling DC character these days apparently and (2) Robbie's Quinn got the kind of attention that really wasn't much about the quality of the film she was in.

I mean, it's weird that she's basically their Iron Man now, but I can't say I dislike it...

Although I don't understand why she's in Birds of Prey.

mixed in with being their Deadpool too if they decide to follow the comics and have her be more meta. DC's whole approach seems topsy turvy with Harley, Aquaman and Wonder woman being their "trinity" while Superman and Batman have floundered. Guess it could be the Snyder factor or maybe people appreciate these characters more?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

mixed in with being their Deadpool too if they decide to follow the comics and have her be more meta. DC's whole approach seems topsy turvy with Harley, Aquaman and Wonder woman being their "trinity" while Superman and Batman have floundered. Guess it could be the Snyder factor or maybe people appreciate these characters more?

There's more leeway in those characters (and why I think the MCU has had more success rolling out).  Batman and superman fans (and Joker/Lex Luther) expect their characters to be a very certain way and if they don't meet those expectations it is a travesty.  Harley, Aquaman, and WW don't really have that problem.

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

There's more leeway in those characters (and why I think the MCU has had more success rolling out).  Batman and superman fans (and Joker/Lex Luther) expect their characters to be a very certain way and if they don't meet those expectations it is a travesty.  Harley, Aquaman, and WW don't really have that problem.

Which might actually bode well for "Shazam" as the general public don't have a clue about him - especially when there's a film out this weekend bearing his original name.

It does seem like DC have started to turn things around as they gave up on forging a tightly woven franchise. Which is good news for everyone

Ha, the double standard makes me laugh. A major villain is a surprising low key role for Idris Elba who is ‘too big’ for the role but Nicole Kidman and Robin Wright, two high profile actresses, both get bit roles with nary an eyelid batted

The rumoured characters to feature in suicide squad 2 seem a bit odd.

Killer Shark, rat-catcher, peacemaker and polka dot man. Brave choices. I wonder if this is just to have some cannon fodder for the film as there's a bunch of other characters to pick from. and there's a bunch of other squad members (maybe akin to Deadpool 2). That or Gunn Is super confident after making a success out of the Guardians cast.

Peacemaker's an excellent choice. I mean, he's the guy who loves peace so much he'd kill for it! It's brilliant. If you can't do something with that as a writer, just retire.

King (not Killer) Shark is a straight replacement for Killer Croc, surely. But better because he's a shark.

Polka Dot Man and Ratcatcher are your minor Batman rogue's gallery cannon fodder. They'll probably die.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Peacemaker's an excellent choice. I mean, he's the guy who loves peace so much he'd kill for it! It's brilliant. If you can't do something with that as a writer, just retire.

King (not Killer) Shark is a straight replacement for Killer Croc, surely. But better because he's a shark.

Polka Dot Man and Ratcatcher are your minor Batman rogue's gallery cannon fodder. They'll probably die.

Ha I'm already mixing the names up based on shark replacing croc.

I guess a lot of fun could be had with the irony of peacemaker. I think they were saying bautista was interested in the part. I can imagine him playing the character in such a way thst he doesn't realise the contradiction. I suspect gunn has been searching for characters that bautista could do, they seem to be pretty close/loyal.

Gunn can take risks as beyond box office there's little he needs to do in terms of being better than the frst film

Ezra Miller teaming with Grant freaking Morrison to tackle a Flash script

Apparently, Miller's retention deal with DC is expiring in May and he's desperate to get this Flash movie made. He wants a darker take, while DC wants lighter to continue the Aquaman goodwill. This is going to be interesting to see play out. Morrison being involved is...a lot. He's either genius or too insane to abide.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Morrison's run on Flash back in the day was great, and he loves the character in general, so a good sign for me, that. Especially since I generally like Morrison's mythos decisions better than Geoff Johns'.

Now Grant Morrison was the one who came to the Justice League comics and said, "Who are all these nobodies (Booster Gold, Beetle...Bailey, Ice Lady, Bloodwynd)?" Right? So he had the amazing idea of bringing back the core super heroes that everyone loves: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Martian Manhunter. And I mean this was an amazing idea because once it happened, you had to ask, why was it ever done any other way?

Now the JLA had its issues, I suppose, as DC was in a weird era. Green Lantern was some weird kid (Kyle or something? Is he still Green Lantern), Superman first had long hair then became electricity Superman for awhile. Luckily Batman was Batman, and not Azriel pretending to be Batman. 

On 3/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Ezra Miller teaming with Grant freaking Morrison to tackle a Flash script

Apparently, Miller's retention deal with DC is expiring in May and he's desperate to get this Flash movie made. He wants a darker take, while DC wants lighter to continue the Aquaman goodwill. This is going to be interesting to see play out. Morrison being involved is...a lot. He's either genius or too insane to abide.

Could work. I'm trying to recall any actual screenplays by Morrison. Did he do any of the justice League episodes or animated movies? I'm generally a fan but wondering whether his approach translates to screen. I'd like to see them adapt his animal man.

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The Suicide Squad will be a complete reboot.

Not surprising, but does leave me just assuming that there is no larger DC movie universe and everything is basically a series of one shots.  Probably not a bad idea considering what the rest of the movies have done.

Jeez, DC. Get it together. So are we supposed to forget the first one existed (I think I did that already), or is this the stand alone? 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

The Suicide Squad will be a complete reboot.

Not surprising, but does leave me just assuming that there is no larger DC movie universe and everything is basically a series of one shots.  Probably not a bad idea considering what the rest of the movies have done.

Not just an assumption, the CEO of WB pretty much said it recently. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/warner-bros-pulls-back-dceu-no-shared-universe-1202047994/

Also, looks like rumors coming in that Ray Fisher will no longer reprise his role as Cyborg, and there won't be a Cyborg solo movie.

Bit of a weird one coz presumably at least Harley Quinn will still be in it and played by Margot Robbie? I mean, it's the right decision, but...

And making a series of standalones is definitely the best decision for DC at this stage. Some spinning off others, sure, but no point attempting a Marvel rival right now.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Not just an assumption, the CEO of WB pretty much said it recently. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/warner-bros-pulls-back-dceu-no-shared-universe-1202047994/

Also, looks like rumors coming in that Ray Fisher will no longer reprise his role as Cyborg, and there won't be a Cyborg solo movie.

Great news for Ray Fisher and great news for Cyborg. The Doom patrol version was better within 10 minutes of appearing in that show even if the robot eye is still crap.

Surely they'd have Aquaman and Wonder Woman crossover if they had the right story (Amazons vs Atlanteans is a well worn comics concept and they could use it as a civil war type film).

Same deal with suicide squad. Unless they want to use characters from the first film it seems pretty easy to just say "it's a different iteration of the squad".

I mean there's not much lost in the shared universe disappearing but it just seems strange how Wonder Woman and Aquaman were shared.

I was thinking on the Batfleck scenes in the first SS and it got me thinking how fun could it be to basically take the premise of “Almost Got Him” from Batman TAS and apply it to a live action Suicide Squad film where they are sitting around in prison sharing their story of how the Bat took them down.  Would be a fun way of introducing this Batman’s history to the shared universe.

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

25 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

Joker would suggest they aren't trying to get away from darker, they are just getting away from having a uniform tone which was darker to begin with. They are trying to go with stories that fit the character better on screen. Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

I'm hoping suicide squad is a bit more like Gunn's "super" than GOTG in terms of being dark comedy.

Archived