DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

Joker would suggest they aren't trying to get away from darker, they are just getting away from having a uniform tone which was darker to begin with. They are trying to go with stories that fit the character better on screen. Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

Oh yeah, I keep ignoring Joker for some reason.  I am rooting for Miller and Morrison to come up with a good script (I've been hoping for Morrison to be part of anything Flash related for some time now; though his influence is felt in the current Justice League run) but among other things,  it seems a little late in the game now.

Apropriate for Barry Allen though.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm hoping suicide squad is a bit more like Gunn's "super" than GOTG in terms of being dark comedy.

I'm hoping there's no assassin with a heart of gold.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

Surely these are not really 'hard SF' concepts?

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Surely these are not really 'hard SF' concepts?

No, but harder than the flash tv show and in general a superhero film that actually tries consider some if the science would be a unique thing. Not sure Morrison really bothers with this (that's more of a Warren Ellis or Jonathan Hickman thing) but something playing with the ideas of what if a man could run at almost light speed would be interesting. It did seem like Flash in the film almost teleported in terms of speed.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

I was thinking on the Batfleck scenes in the first SS and it got me thinking how fun could it be to basically take the premise of “Almost Got Him” from Batman TAS and apply it to a live action Suicide Squad film where they are sitting around in prison sharing their story of how the Bat took them down.  Would be a fun way of introducing this Batman’s history to the shared universe.

"Almost got em" was mostly an excuse plot, just a fun way to show the villains hanging out together.  If done well (or even semi-competently) it would at least be very watchable.  You would need to have an overarching plot that is advancing along with the stories they're telling, but even that is fairly easy to write. 

Hell, rather than always trying to adapt famous Batman comics like Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns, why not just adapt Almost Got Em?  I'd totally watch those guys play a card game (although the downgrade from Mark Hamill to Jared Leto would be painful).  It wouldn't need to be totally faithful to the show, since the individual stories are mostly irrelevant.  The "twist" at the end could be that someone (probably Joker) actually had captured Batman and just had him stashed in the next room.  And then of course Batman reveals this is all his plan to get captured for some reason.  This movie already sounds better than most of what DC is putting out. 

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

"Almost got em" was mostly an excuse plot, just a fun way to show the villains hanging out together.  If done well (or even semi-competently) it would at least be very watchable.  You would need to have an overarching plot that is advancing along with the stories they're telling, but even that is fairly easy to write. 

Hell, rather than always trying to adapt famous Batman comics like Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns, why not just adapt Almost Got Em?  I'd totally watch those guys play a card game (although the downgrade from Mark Hamill to Jared Leto would be painful).  It wouldn't need to be totally faithful to the show, since the individual stories are mostly irrelevant.  The "twist" at the end could be that someone (probably Joker) actually had captured Batman and just had him stashed in the next room.  And then of course Batman reveals this is all his plan to get captured for some reason.  This movie already sounds better than most of what DC is putting out. 

See!  How hard can it possibly be?!!?

• 2 weeks later...

Probably better to leave than waste years of your life waiting for a film that never happens or for it to look like they pushed you out the door (which is how it felt with cavill)

He could probably still get work in the MCU given his limited exposure in DC films

On 3/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Knight of Ashes said:

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

I think Australians might not like that particular characterization, given the recent racist massacre of 50 people in New Zealand by an Australian racist. You can have a racist villain, if he / she is one of a numb er of villains from a particular country. But if your token one villain from a country is racist, that's not so good. But other than that, it all sounds great.

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Hard to know what to think. It looks like it could be a really good movie, like King of Comedy only darker. But then it’s a movie about the Joker and that changes things, it might annoy me more than anything because of it.

Looks better, as a piece of cinema, than anything DC has put out since Nolan. De Niro being a part of this makes the King of Comedy/Taxi Driver vibes a bit too on the nose, but Phoenix looks like he's all in on this (as he generally is). Vastly more interested in this than the VFX action spectacles that have been the norm.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm resistant to the idea of a Joker origin but that genuinely looks really interesting.

I usually prefer not knowing who the Joker was beforehand and what transformed him but this looks really  good with an amazing cast. If they can make us sympathise with the Joker that would be quite a feat. I get the impression they are going for a "Gotham made Joker" vibe.

2 hours ago, divica said:

To me it looks like a movie full of drama and emotional tragedy/sadness. It feels like a real heavy movie and not a super hero movie...

There's no reason why the Joker has to be in a superhero movie - the character is essentially just a crazy person in a clown outfit.

Huh. I don't know what I expected when I heard this movie was going to exist (other than a reasonable confidence that it would be bad), but it sure as hell wasn't something that looks like that trailer. I'm suddenly very interested in this.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Huh. I don't know what I expected when I heard this movie was going to exist (other than a reasonable confidence that it would be bad), but it sure as hell wasn't something that looks like that trailer. I'm suddenly very interested in this.

I think I still like the idea I read a while back how it would have been awesome (yet impossible) if they hadn't told us this was a joker origin film and that was the reveal at the end of the film

I've been iffy about this project since I first heard about it. One the one hand, Joaquin Phoenix, who has been doing some amazing work the past several years (cf. The Master, Inherent Vice, You Were Never Really Here, etc.), is playing the Joker and it has an amazing supporting cast (De Niro (!), Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Brian Tyree Henry, et. al.).

On the other, it's directed by Todd Phillips, who's directed such gems as Road Trip, Old School and Starsky & Hutch (although, to be fair, War Dogs was surprisingly watchable), and is backed by Warner Bros., which hasn't put out a decent take on dark, gritty comic book material since Nolan finished up the Batman trilogy, and which has only had success in the DCEU with lighter, less-serious fare like WW and Aquaman (not that WW especially doesn't deal with serious issues, just that it's not tonally dark as a stylistic choice).

But that trailer...I'm all in now.

Archived