DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Robert Pattinson is our new Batman, per Variety.

I'm trying not to give him grief. I have literally not seen him in anything other than that one Harry Potter film. I've only seen clips of Twilight. Has he been doing anything interesting lately?

He’s actually a pretty good actor. I liked him in the movie Good Time from a couple years ago. I don’t really see him as Batman though.

I can see it. He's got a bit of that same vibe Keaton did when he was cast.

I really should see some of his more interesting films. He's been making a lot of interesting choices since Twilight (or really since before the series finished, things like Cosmopolis).

I'm quite surprised he's willing though considering how much he didn't like the fan pressure and spotlight that came with Twilight. Thought that had put him off that kind of thing for life.

I've only seen Pattinson in Harry Potter, and that was a long time ago and an extremely small part. So I have no basis on which to judge his acting ability.

The Twilight series I regard as a black mark against every actor in those movies. But the producers convinced some very good actors to be in those movies (Michael Sheen for instance),m so I can't really count it against him for the purposes of forming an opinion about him being Batman.

I'm not sure it will be possible to get an actor objectively equal to or better than Christian Bale for Batman, so they should not bother trying and look for competence in acting and build from there. Arguably it's going to be what the writer's produce and what the Director does that's going to establish where Pattinson sits among actors who've been the Batman. George Clooney, an Oscar winning actor of considerable talent was probably the worst Batman ever, so long as you see the Adam West version in a certain light. And Ben Affleck was also ill served with his turn. So it's really all that much about the actor.

If nothing else, he'll probably get a decent turn out from female movie goers.

I’ve got lots of love for Pattison, he’s been in , if not great movies, then really interesting ones. And he’s consistently taken the movies that are different or that push him to do things he didn’t do before. His character choices are very varied and he’s shown a lot of range in his work. 

But as Batman?  I can’t see it

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I can see it. He's got a bit of that same vibe Keaton did when he was cast.

I really should see some of his more interesting films. He's been making a lot of interesting choices since Twilight (or really since before the series finished, things like Cosmopolis).

I'm quite surprised he's willing though considering how much he didn't like the fan pressure and spotlight that came with Twilight. Thought that had put him off that kind of thing for life.

Perhaps the pay cheques from Twilight are running low and he needs a top up to continue doing the more interesting and presumably lesser paid work?

(i mean this sincerely by the way, and not as a criticism!)

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Perhaps the pay cheques from Twilight are running low and he needs a top up to continue doing the more interesting and presumably lesser paid work?

(i mean this sincerely by the way, and not as a criticism!)

This reminds me of the scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back with Damon and Affleck.

[Matt Damon and Ben Affleck on the set of "Good Will Hunting 2"]

Matt Damon: Just take it from "it's a good course".

Ben Affleck: What, so you're the director now?

Matt Damon: Shove it, Bounceboy, and just remember who talked who into this shit. I mean, talking me into Dogmais one thing...

Ben Affleck: Hey, I'm sorry if I dragged you away from whatever gay serial killerswho like to ride horseswhile they play golftouchy-feely picture you're doing this week...

Matt Damon: I take it you haven't seen Forces of Nature?

Ben Affleck: You're like a child! What do I keep telling you? You gotta do the safe picture, thenyou do the art picture... and sometimes you gotta do the payback picture because your friend says you owe him. [both look at the audience]And then sometimes you gotta go back to the well.

Matt Damon: Yeah, and sometimes you do Reindeer Games.

Ben Affleck: See, that was just mean!

:lol: 

On 5/17/2019 at 12:37 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

I've only seen Pattinson in Harry Potter, and that was a long time ago and an extremely small part. So I have no basis on which to judge his acting ability.

The Twilight series I regard as a black mark against every actor in those movies. But the producers convinced some very good actors to be in those movies (Michael Sheen for instance),m so I can't really count it against him for the purposes of forming an opinion about him being Batman.

I'm not sure it will be possible to get an actor objectively equal to or better than Christian Bale for Batman, so they should not bother trying and look for competence in acting and build from there. Arguably it's going to be what the writer's produce and what the Director does that's going to establish where Pattinson sits among actors who've been the Batman. George Clooney, an Oscar winning actor of considerable talent was probably the worst Batman ever, so long as you see the Adam West version in a certain light. And Ben Affleck was also ill served with his turn. So it's really all that much about the actor.

If nothing else, he'll probably get a decent turn out from female movie goers.

Do people seriously see Christian Bale's Batman as the goal to shoot for? Jesus no wonder these movies suck.

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Do people seriously see Christian Bale's Batman as the goal to shoot for? Jesus no wonder these movies suck.

That's not what I said. But 2x $1Bn and the only $1Bn movies with Batman in it suggests the Bale Batman got something right with audiences.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's not what I said. But 2x $1Bn and the only $1Bn movies with Batman in it suggests the Bale Batman got something right with audiences. 

Man of Steel managed a 600 million box office. I'd argue Batman post JLU would have had to suck really hard to not do well, especially when the Joker got involved. After all if it was Bale drawing them in Batman Begins would have done better than Batman 1989.

Yeah Bale is a star but his box offices without Batman don't suggest that he was the one drawing the fans out to give those films billion dollar box office.

But then no actor does, not even Tom Cruise- a billion-dollar box office isn't an actor-led number. And 'the only 1bn movie with Batman in' only says that all the previous Batman came out in pre-billion-dollar eras and BvS got absolutely caned in its reception so it was the quality that did for it not Ben Affleck.

Oh my fucking god we get it! Christian Bale just isn't the right Batman, you're a bigger fan of the comics! Congratulations. Tell us more about how you're enlightened as to the true meaning of the Caped Crusader's portrayal.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:13 AM, Leap said:

Anything to wash the memory of Justice League and Aquaman from my mind. I still need to see Shazam though. 

Don't.  

Archived