DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I believe its technically not an official Bond film for some reason, but they did highlight Connery-Bond being somewhat out of shape in Never Say Never Again

That was 21 years after Dr. No...

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I believe its technically not an official Bond film for some reason, but they did highlight Connery-Bond being somewhat out of shape in Never Say Never Again

Tri-tri-trippppple post!!!

It's okay for Bond to not be in peak physical shape. I just find it jarring when Connery takes people out with a single blow while being in worse shape than me while Craig is a beast and his fights are knock down drag out fights in which he might actually lose and die. I prefer the realism over the camp.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I used nostalgia more as a place holder than anything else. Now, I will grant you the voice, especially in the third film, but other than that I find little that Keaton does better than Bale. That, however, does not make Keaton a bad Batman. The original is an all time classic, but I just don't think it holds a candle to The Dark Night, which I personally consider the best superhero film and one of the best films every made.

Cool.

TDK is a great film and all but it's elevated mightily by Heath Ledger. Beyond that seminal performance the cracks show a bit for me. It's still top 5 superhero movie for me, but of my current top 5 it's the most catchable as I currently think of it.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, polishgenius said:

Off the subject a bit but this doesn't exist.

Yeah sure, dude... tell that to my 11 year old lol

19 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah sure, dude... tell that to my 11 year old lol

All your 11 year old being a good kid proves is that your 11 year old is a good kid. Apart from quite obviously there being lots of kids that age who have a let's say wonky sense of fairness (many of whom will perfectly ably learn one by the time they're grown), it's at least nine years past the point where any view a kid has could be considered innate.

I work in a daycare I suppose you'd call it and kids are brilliant, don't get me wrong, but trust me they aren't arriving here at two and three with a built-in sense of right and wrong that life proceeds to destroy.

• 2 weeks later...

If I can quibble a little, the symmetrical pedant in me keeps being drawn to her shoulders-- those spaulders got to go.

Otherwise, pretty ginchy graphic overall.  

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Personally speaking that poster is way too busy. Wonder Woman looks small and lost in the details of it. If we are comparing it to Thor Ragnarok, note how much clearer this poster is.

YMMV however.

The Ragnarok/GOTG comparisons are hard to ignore. Hoping there's a story reason behind this outfit eg she's a legit superhero/celebrity and therefore wearing 80s aesthetic clothing. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense as her WW1 and BvS costumes Don't really reflect 1910s and 2010s.

That aside it is still a striking poster.

I quite like the poster (although yes it is quite busy), and hopefully the new movie follows through with that aesthetic. Wonder Woman is a bit of a silly concept in the same way that Thor is as well, and any time either character takes themselves too seriously I will roll my eyes. Thor 2 suffers a lot from that, and Ragnarok got it just right.

So heres to hoping WW2 *not world war 2* is a campy over the top romp and not some issue led dreary trudge through history.

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Personally speaking that poster is way too busy. Wonder Woman looks small and lost in the details of it. If we are comparing it to Thor Ragnarok, note how much clearer this poster is.

YMMV however.

I agree with you there's way too much going on. Nothing draws the eye towards Wonder Woman, so it all comes across at once.

That said, it doesn't look awful. Just a little derivative and busy.

I like the poster. Even though I'm not sure why Diana suddenly has Aquaman's armour on.

Just a little worried that they might get that 80s vibe wrong. It's hard to do what Ragnarok did. And it's a bit of a risky turn for the character- even harder to fit something as powerful as the no-man's land scene in amongst the goofiness.

But we'll see. I was expecting a first trailer at SDCC but apparently WW (or indeed DC or WB at all) will not have a presence there and it won't be till December.

Has the first season even finished airing, because Swamp Thing has been cancelled already. Apparently the WB execs wanted it to be more like other WB shows, assuming Smallville and Arrow and the like-- which is absurd. It's fucking Swamp Thing. 

Only the first episode had come out.

Honestly WB are fucking baffling. They'd finally mustered some good will because people were liking the odballness of the DC Universe thing and it seemed like they were getting some traction going on something new, but they cancel it coz they don't like it.

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Has the first season even finished airing, because Swamp Thing has been cancelled already. Apparently the WB execs wanted it to be more like other WB shows, assuming Smallville and Arrow and the like-- which is absurd. It's fucking Swamp Thing. 

What I read was that they cancelled it because it turned out there was less money available in a public fund for supporting local film and tv productions than they thought (wherever they're shooting the show), and so the financing of the project fell apart.

4 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Very odd especially given titans is proving very successful. I've only seen a few episodes of doom patrol and found it far more interesting tgan any of the arrow shows (somewhere between arrow and legion).

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

What I read was that they cancelled it because it turned out there was less money available in a public fund for supporting local film and tv productions than they thought (wherever they're shooting the show), and so the financing of the project fell apart.

This could explain the show being cancelled while filming.

I wonder if the other problem boils down to the ongoing scrapping for pieces of the streaming pie? I've read since time warner were bought there are plans for them to create a one stop shop for all their content so DC will fold into it. 

I suspect another factor is Netflix. They had distribution rights for outside north America for titans where i suspect half-majority of the audience are. They didn't pick up doom patrol (they also didn't pick up Picard, despite disvovery being a success for them). I think Netflix feel burned after the marvel/disney thing and are wary of relying on too many shows from studios they know can pull the content. Without that kind of support the dc online content will struggle.

Still it's odd to cancel something after one episode. What if the show is really good.

Archived