DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

Yeah. I should've let the news cycle a bit further. The first article I read didn't mention the budget issues at all, but there was definitely grumbling from WB execs about content. I mean, Doom Patrol hasn't been cancelled, but it hasn't renewed yet either [I kind of liked it] but honestly, an 80m budget for an originally slated 13 [struck down to 10] episode 1st season is pretty pricey.

Seems rather odd to me that WB will be launching its own streaming service as well, feels like Ghostbusters crossing their streams.

Anyway.

Fuck them. I hope it's really, really good.      

18 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Just finished Doom Patrol. 

Man, it might actually hurt if it doesn't get renewed.

If only for an ep that focuses on Animal Vegetable Mineral Man.

It's the saving grace for DC right now, the only thing they are doing that is genuinely good. If only it was on Netflix or something so more people could watch it.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

I agree with you there's way too much going on. Nothing draws the eye towards Wonder Woman, so it all comes across at once.

That said, it doesn't look awful. Just a little derivative and busy.

I agree. It reminds me of one of those 3D pictures you're supposed to stare at until the image pops out at you.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, Kalbear said:

Because the show had a budget of $40m and cost $80m to make, and they didnt get a $40m tax break from North Carolina. 

That would do it;

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Pennyworth doesn't look terrible..

.. wish I could say the same about Batwoman.. jeez!

Besides the Michael Caine impersonation and squaring it as a prequel to a prequel show.

Does Catwoman fight crime by giving poor people money instead of beating them up?

21 hours ago, red snow said:

Besides the Michael Caine impersonation and squaring it as a prequel to a prequel show.

Does Catwoman fight crime by giving poor people money instead of beating them up?

I mean if I forget that it has anything to do with Batman and Gotham I can overlook a lot of things, in that way it looks like a forgettable period show.

BATwoman however, hard to know anything right now except that its a CW Arrowverse show.. so that kind of tells you everything. I like Ruby Rose visually... but everything about this screams avoid.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, red snow said:

I'm not that enthusiastic about the premise, but the trailer did look reasonable. I've no idea how or whether it is meant to tie it into any previous shows or films but the Michael Caineness of the acting does make it feel like it's intending to echo the Nolan films.

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah? Why shouldn't it be? And certain kinds of dickhead freaking the fuck out is also par for the course.

Is it just possible to write female superhero characters in an interesting way instead of constantly smirking symbols of empowerment we are meant to clap for? I think it is.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Is it just possible to write female superhero characters in an interesting way instead of constantly smirking symbols of empowerment we are meant to clap for? I think it is.

Is it just possible to write female superhero characters without some joker showing up and complaining that she's too confident and her very existence is an affront?

Like if every single woman superhero was like that it could get kind of boring but since even from the too-small sample size we have so far the only major one who could be said to fit your description, if you watch her extremely ungenerously, Captain Marvel, so you're complaining about nothing.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Is it just possible to write female superhero characters without some joker showing up and complaining that she's too confident and her very existence is an affront?

Like if every single woman superhero was like that it could get kind of boring but since even from the too-small sample size we have so far the only major one who could be said to fit your description, if you watch her extremely ungenerously, Captain Marvel, so you're complaining about nothing.

It was you who wanted to make a point about her cockiness, as if it’s unusual. I’m mentioning that it’s been quite a standard thing for female characters in superhero movies for quite some time. Hopefully there is more to her character than just that.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It was you who wanted to make a point about her cockiness, as if it’s unusual.

No, I was making a point about a certain section of twitter and youtube's reaction to her cockiness.

And again, it's not been a standard thing unless literally any female superhero being anything other than depressed or grimly professional is a problem for you (but they still get complained about because people are dumb).

Just now, polishgenius said:

And again, it's not been a standard thing unless literally any female superhero being anything other than depressed or grimly professional is a problem for you (but they still get complained about because people are dumb).

Cocky female superheroes is absolutely the standard trope now, I’m not sure how you could have missed it. It’s much harder to think of female superheroes that don’t just swagger around being awesome. 

Just going on Marvel, you have Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Valkyrie, Gammora and Wasp. 

Strong confident females in movies  isn’t a new thing, nor is it especially unusual. It’s at this point in no way noteworthy to even mention it. 

Black Widow, Valkyrie, and Gamora are in no way "smirking symbols of empowerment that we are supposed to clap for". I mean, Marvel isn't either but she at least is outright cocky and definitely a deliberately in-your-face empowerment figure so I can see why someone with their head up their arse would read her that way. But the others, no. I mean, Gamora isn't even close, she's guilt-ridden, socially awkward, insecure about her position and barely ever even smiles at all, let alone smirks.

But to repeat myself again:

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It’s at this point in no way noteworthy to even mention it. 

I wasn't commenting on the character herself. I was commenting on the dickheads freaking out about the character.

You haven't exactly gone out of your way to disprove my point, here.

Butting in here a bit, but...

Would it make for a better or more believable story if a female (super)hero character* was more timid, humble, deferential, you name it? And how many male (super)heroes come to mind with those core character traits, uncountered by a similarly disposed female character? (That is, before the numbers discrepancy came into play.) Without spending my whole Saturday on it, I'd say less than zero.

*ETA: Or antihero/villain, for that matter.

Archived