DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

The BlackBear

11 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'm not that enthusiastic about the premise, but the trailer did look reasonable. I've no idea how or whether it is meant to tie it into any previous shows or films but the Michael Caineness of the acting does make it feel like it's intending to echo the Nolan films.

You know what, I completely forgot that Caine was Alfred in the Nolan films! It actually makes a lot more sense now. They do seem to capture a 60s brit-vibe (or at least the modern take on a 60s vibe)

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Cocky female superheroes is absolutely the standard trope now, I’m not sure how you could have missed it. It’s much harder to think of female superheroes that don’t just swagger around being awesome. 

Is Thor less cocky/arrogant than Valkyrie? Is Wasp really any more sassy than Ant-man? Iron Man and spidey less cocky than Black Widow. Starlord and drax vs Gamorra? 

I'd say the MCU characters are actually quite similar irrespective of gender and that "cockiness" is across the board irrespective of whether the character has one. If anything, the male characters moreso. So I'd expect folk to have an issue with all the characters (possibly with the exception of cap America/marvel and black widow/panther) if this attribute was annoying.

The ONLY question to ask about a cock-sure, swaggering super hero is have they earned it? Pretty sure all the ones who've shown that trait have earned it. What's between their legs is really irrelevant.

Any kind of mra rage over the Batwoman teaser is insane. She doesn't even talk and yet she's somehow throwing female empowerment in everyone's face? By giving a watch to a beggar? By smirking at a burly security guard / cop? By wearing black leather? By riding a motorbike?

I don’t really think anyone is bothered about cocksure female characters. If there is any complaint it’s the literal lack of surprise of such characters existing now and the attempt to try and portray such characters as game changing.

Its not a brave or interesting choice to make your female characters bad ass, in fact it’s the norm. It would be a brave move to do anything else. 

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t really think anyone is bothered about cocksure female characters.

Apart from the MRA and red pill loudmouths polishgenious mentioned, you mean? Vocal minority they may be, but you don't have to look hard to come across such comments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived