The BlackBear

DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

8 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Variety is reporting Idris Elba is taking over the role of Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2.

I'd almost say he's too big for the role (career wise). Then again a James Gunn version might make the role more substantial. My fear is that they might waste elba on a small part preventing him from taking on other DC roles. In much the same way he was wasted in the MCU.

It's odd how he's becoming the go to actor for characters who change the colour of their skin with Roland Deschain and  oft touted James Bond. I guess even the nerdiest of comic fans and those hung up on racial "continuity" can't deny Elba is great. Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd almost say he's too big for the role (career wise). Then again a James Gunn version might make the role more substantial. My fear is that they might waste elba on a small part preventing him from taking on other DC roles. In much the same way he was wasted in the MCU.

It's odd how he's becoming the go to actor for characters who change the colour of their skin with Roland Deschain and  oft touted James Bond. I guess even the nerdiest of comic fans and those hung up on racial "continuity" can't deny Elba is great. Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

Elba too big for the role career wise?!!?

Hes replacing Will Smith.  I know Elba gets a disproportionate amount of love around these parts but come on... let’s go walk down the street and ask twenty people to identify pictures of Smith and Elba and see which one is bigger.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hes replacing Will Smith.  I know Elba gets a disproportionate amount of love around these parts but come on... let’s go walk down the street and ask twenty people to identify pictures of Smith and Elba and see which one is bigger.

I get the point though. I think it was a little surprising that Smith took the role initially, but his career has been on a downward curve for a bit and was probably struggling for something that will be a success. 

Elba I agree could take any number of roles, taking Deadshot would rule him out of a lot of future projects potentially. Having said that he's been in a surprising number of major movies as a side character, but really only starred in a few blockbuster movies, like Dark Tower, and those have flopped. 

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I thought the same thing for Will Smith. It seemed a backwards choice for him not playing the star and being part of an ensemble crew. I think he must be really good friends with the director as he did "bright" after that as well. Just seems strange choices for Smith who us a bankable A-lister.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Idk, comic-book wise Deadshot is as close to a main character as Suicide Squad has ever had.

And it's not like he's replacing some no-name actor.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought the same thing for Will Smith. It seemed a backwards choice for him not playing the star and being part of an ensemble crew. I think he must be really good friends with the director as he did "bright" after that as well. Just seems strange choices for Smith who us a bankable A-lister.

Ah.  I understand better now.

20 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Ah.  I understand better now.

Even though i prefer Elba I'm not fooling myself he is in any way a bigger star than the fresh Prince :)

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Still, my point remains that he could play anyone from DC comics - is deadshot the best option? Jon Stewart in green lantern corps would benefit from Elba as the lead. I actually think he'd mske an excellent Deathstroke as well now he has that grizzled edge and Deathstroke was being set up as a major villain and could work as a solo film. There's loads of options that just seem better than deadshot.

I want Mads Mikkelsen to play Vandal Savage at some point but if he doesn't then Idris Elba would be an excellent second choice.

Still, I feel like Deadshot was also being aimed for a solo movie at some point and while that didn't work out and Harley got all the attention, they might not be giving up on the idea. And I'd like to see if Elba can bring that little edge of madness that Floyd Lawton should have (shouldn't be a problem for John Luther).

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I want Mads Mikkelsen to play Vandal Savage at some point but if he doesn't then Idris Elba would be an excellent second choice.

Still, I feel like Deadshot was also being aimed for a solo movie at some point and while that didn't work out and Harley got all the attention, they might not be giving up on the idea. And I'd like to see if Elba can bring that little edge of madness that Floyd Lawton should have (shouldn't be a problem for John Luther).

Mads and Elba - they must appear on 95% of all casting wishlists.

It's bizarre just how much DC has invested/banked on Harley essentially being the standout character in an awful film. I actually thought deadshot and boomerang were passable too but again that's mainly due to the other characters being devoid of anything memorable.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's bizarre just how much DC has invested/banked on Harley essentially being the standout character in an awful film.

Well to be fair it's also (1) that Harley is the second best-selling DC character these days apparently and (2) Robbie's Quinn got the kind of attention that really wasn't much about the quality of the film she was in.

I mean, it's weird that she's basically their Iron Man now, but I can't say I dislike it...

Although I don't understand why she's in Birds of Prey.

Edited by polishgenius

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well to be fair it's also (1) that Harley is the second best-selling DC character these days apparently and (2) Robbie's Quinn got the kind of attention that really wasn't much about the quality of the film she was in.

I mean, it's weird that she's basically their Iron Man now, but I can't say I dislike it...

Although I don't understand why she's in Birds of Prey.

mixed in with being their Deadpool too if they decide to follow the comics and have her be more meta. DC's whole approach seems topsy turvy with Harley, Aquaman and Wonder woman being their "trinity" while Superman and Batman have floundered. Guess it could be the Snyder factor or maybe people appreciate these characters more?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

mixed in with being their Deadpool too if they decide to follow the comics and have her be more meta. DC's whole approach seems topsy turvy with Harley, Aquaman and Wonder woman being their "trinity" while Superman and Batman have floundered. Guess it could be the Snyder factor or maybe people appreciate these characters more?

There's more leeway in those characters (and why I think the MCU has had more success rolling out).  Batman and superman fans (and Joker/Lex Luther) expect their characters to be a very certain way and if they don't meet those expectations it is a travesty.  Harley, Aquaman, and WW don't really have that problem.

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

There's more leeway in those characters (and why I think the MCU has had more success rolling out).  Batman and superman fans (and Joker/Lex Luther) expect their characters to be a very certain way and if they don't meet those expectations it is a travesty.  Harley, Aquaman, and WW don't really have that problem.

Which might actually bode well for "Shazam" as the general public don't have a clue about him - especially when there's a film out this weekend bearing his original name.

It does seem like DC have started to turn things around as they gave up on forging a tightly woven franchise. Which is good news for everyone

Posted (edited)

Ha, the double standard makes me laugh. A major villain is a surprising low key role for Idris Elba who is ‘too big’ for the role but Nicole Kidman and Robin Wright, two high profile actresses, both get bit roles with nary an eyelid batted

Edited by HelenaExMachina

The rumoured characters to feature in suicide squad 2 seem a bit odd.

Killer Shark, rat-catcher, peacemaker and polka dot man. Brave choices. I wonder if this is just to have some cannon fodder for the film as there's a bunch of other characters to pick from. and there's a bunch of other squad members (maybe akin to Deadpool 2). That or Gunn Is super confident after making a success out of the Guardians cast.

Posted (edited)

Peacemaker's an excellent choice. I mean, he's the guy who loves peace so much he'd kill for it! It's brilliant. If you can't do something with that as a writer, just retire.

King (not Killer) Shark is a straight replacement for Killer Croc, surely. But better because he's a shark.

Polka Dot Man and Ratcatcher are your minor Batman rogue's gallery cannon fodder. They'll probably die.

Edited by mormont

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Peacemaker's an excellent choice. I mean, he's the guy who loves peace so much he'd kill for it! It's brilliant. If you can't do something with that as a writer, just retire.

King (not Killer) Shark is a straight replacement for Killer Croc, surely. But better because he's a shark.

Polka Dot Man and Ratcatcher are your minor Batman rogue's gallery cannon fodder. They'll probably die.

Ha I'm already mixing the names up based on shark replacing croc.

I guess a lot of fun could be had with the irony of peacemaker. I think they were saying bautista was interested in the part. I can imagine him playing the character in such a way thst he doesn't realise the contradiction. I suspect gunn has been searching for characters that bautista could do, they seem to be pretty close/loyal.

Gunn can take risks as beyond box office there's little he needs to do in terms of being better than the frst film

Ezra Miller teaming with Grant freaking Morrison to tackle a Flash script

Apparently, Miller's retention deal with DC is expiring in May and he's desperate to get this Flash movie made. He wants a darker take, while DC wants lighter to continue the Aquaman goodwill. This is going to be interesting to see play out. Morrison being involved is...a lot. He's either genius or too insane to abide.