The BlackBear

DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

Morrison's run on Flash back in the day was great, and he loves the character in general, so a good sign for me, that. Especially since I generally like Morrison's mythos decisions better than Geoff Johns'.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Morrison's run on Flash back in the day was great, and he loves the character in general, so a good sign for me, that. Especially since I generally like Morrison's mythos decisions better than Geoff Johns'.

Now Grant Morrison was the one who came to the Justice League comics and said, "Who are all these nobodies (Booster Gold, Beetle...Bailey, Ice Lady, Bloodwynd)?" Right? So he had the amazing idea of bringing back the core super heroes that everyone loves: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Martian Manhunter. And I mean this was an amazing idea because once it happened, you had to ask, why was it ever done any other way?

Now the JLA had its issues, I suppose, as DC was in a weird era. Green Lantern was some weird kid (Kyle or something? Is he still Green Lantern), Superman first had long hair then became electricity Superman for awhile. Luckily Batman was Batman, and not Azriel pretending to be Batman. 

The Suicide Squad will be a complete reboot.

Not surprising, but does leave me just assuming that there is no larger DC movie universe and everything is basically a series of one shots.  Probably not a bad idea considering what the rest of the movies have done.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Ezra Miller teaming with Grant freaking Morrison to tackle a Flash script

Apparently, Miller's retention deal with DC is expiring in May and he's desperate to get this Flash movie made. He wants a darker take, while DC wants lighter to continue the Aquaman goodwill. This is going to be interesting to see play out. Morrison being involved is...a lot. He's either genius or too insane to abide.

Could work. I'm trying to recall any actual screenplays by Morrison. Did he do any of the justice League episodes or animated movies? I'm generally a fan but wondering whether his approach translates to screen. I'd like to see them adapt his animal man.

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not surprising, but does leave me just assuming that there is no larger DC movie universe and everything is basically a series of one shots.  Probably not a bad idea considering what the rest of the movies have done.

Jeez, DC. Get it together. So are we supposed to forget the first one existed (I think I did that already), or is this the stand alone? 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Not just an assumption, the CEO of WB pretty much said it recently. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/warner-bros-pulls-back-dceu-no-shared-universe-1202047994/

Also, looks like rumors coming in that Ray Fisher will no longer reprise his role as Cyborg, and there won't be a Cyborg solo movie.

Bit of a weird one coz presumably at least Harley Quinn will still be in it and played by Margot Robbie? I mean, it's the right decision, but...

And making a series of standalones is definitely the best decision for DC at this stage. Some spinning off others, sure, but no point attempting a Marvel rival right now.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Not just an assumption, the CEO of WB pretty much said it recently. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/warner-bros-pulls-back-dceu-no-shared-universe-1202047994/

Also, looks like rumors coming in that Ray Fisher will no longer reprise his role as Cyborg, and there won't be a Cyborg solo movie.

Great news for Ray Fisher and great news for Cyborg. The Doom patrol version was better within 10 minutes of appearing in that show even if the robot eye is still crap.

Surely they'd have Aquaman and Wonder Woman crossover if they had the right story (Amazons vs Atlanteans is a well worn comics concept and they could use it as a civil war type film).

Same deal with suicide squad. Unless they want to use characters from the first film it seems pretty easy to just say "it's a different iteration of the squad".

I mean there's not much lost in the shared universe disappearing but it just seems strange how Wonder Woman and Aquaman were shared.

I was thinking on the Batfleck scenes in the first SS and it got me thinking how fun could it be to basically take the premise of “Almost Got Him” from Batman TAS and apply it to a live action Suicide Squad film where they are sitting around in prison sharing their story of how the Bat took them down.  Would be a fun way of introducing this Batman’s history to the shared universe.

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

25 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

Joker would suggest they aren't trying to get away from darker, they are just getting away from having a uniform tone which was darker to begin with. They are trying to go with stories that fit the character better on screen. Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

I'm hoping suicide squad is a bit more like Gunn's "super" than GOTG in terms of being dark comedy.

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

Joker would suggest they aren't trying to get away from darker, they are just getting away from having a uniform tone which was darker to begin with. They are trying to go with stories that fit the character better on screen. Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

Oh yeah, I keep ignoring Joker for some reason.  I am rooting for Miller and Morrison to come up with a good script (I've been hoping for Morrison to be part of anything Flash related for some time now; though his influence is felt in the current Justice League run) but among other things,  it seems a little late in the game now.

Apropriate for Barry Allen though.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm hoping suicide squad is a bit more like Gunn's "super" than GOTG in terms of being dark comedy.

I'm hoping there's no assassin with a heart of gold.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Flash could be done more seriously in a hard SF way if it's about the speed force, time-travel and dimension hopping.

Surely these are not really 'hard SF' concepts?

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Surely these are not really 'hard SF' concepts?

No, but harder than the flash tv show and in general a superhero film that actually tries consider some if the science would be a unique thing. Not sure Morrison really bothers with this (that's more of a Warren Ellis or Jonathan Hickman thing) but something playing with the ideas of what if a man could run at almost light speed would be interesting. It did seem like Flash in the film almost teleported in terms of speed.

Supergirl is not my series, at all, but Cryer's portrayal of Lex Luthor is making me consider going to back to it.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

I was thinking on the Batfleck scenes in the first SS and it got me thinking how fun could it be to basically take the premise of “Almost Got Him” from Batman TAS and apply it to a live action Suicide Squad film where they are sitting around in prison sharing their story of how the Bat took them down.  Would be a fun way of introducing this Batman’s history to the shared universe.

"Almost got em" was mostly an excuse plot, just a fun way to show the villains hanging out together.  If done well (or even semi-competently) it would at least be very watchable.  You would need to have an overarching plot that is advancing along with the stories they're telling, but even that is fairly easy to write. 

Hell, rather than always trying to adapt famous Batman comics like Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns, why not just adapt Almost Got Em?  I'd totally watch those guys play a card game (although the downgrade from Mark Hamill to Jared Leto would be painful).  It wouldn't need to be totally faithful to the show, since the individual stories are mostly irrelevant.  The "twist" at the end could be that someone (probably Joker) actually had captured Batman and just had him stashed in the next room.  And then of course Batman reveals this is all his plan to get captured for some reason.  This movie already sounds better than most of what DC is putting out. 

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

"Almost got em" was mostly an excuse plot, just a fun way to show the villains hanging out together.  If done well (or even semi-competently) it would at least be very watchable.  You would need to have an overarching plot that is advancing along with the stories they're telling, but even that is fairly easy to write. 

Hell, rather than always trying to adapt famous Batman comics like Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns, why not just adapt Almost Got Em?  I'd totally watch those guys play a card game (although the downgrade from Mark Hamill to Jared Leto would be painful).  It wouldn't need to be totally faithful to the show, since the individual stories are mostly irrelevant.  The "twist" at the end could be that someone (probably Joker) actually had captured Batman and just had him stashed in the next room.  And then of course Batman reveals this is all his plan to get captured for some reason.  This movie already sounds better than most of what DC is putting out. 

See!  How hard can it possibly be?!!?

Probably better to leave than waste years of your life waiting for a film that never happens or for it to look like they pushed you out the door (which is how it felt with cavill)

He could probably still get work in the MCU given his limited exposure in DC films