The BlackBear

DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

On 3/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Knight of Ashes said:

I still would like to see a Captain Boomerang that's much closer to the comics.  How could that version of ol' Digger Harkness, greedy, lecherous, racist, pie-throwing bastard that he is, not translate well to the screen?  

As for Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison working on the Flash script, well, I'd be more optimistic about it if Miller hadn't mentioned the d word ("darker"), which DC is clearly wanting to get away from.

I think Australians might not like that particular characterization, given the recent racist massacre of 50 people in New Zealand by an Australian racist. You can have a racist villain, if he / she is one of a numb er of villains from a particular country. But if your token one villain from a country is racist, that's not so good. But other than that, it all sounds great.

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Hard to know what to think. It looks like it could be a really good movie, like King of Comedy only darker. But then it’s a movie about the Joker and that changes things, it might annoy me more than anything because of it.

Looks better, as a piece of cinema, than anything DC has put out since Nolan. De Niro being a part of this makes the King of Comedy/Taxi Driver vibes a bit too on the nose, but Phoenix looks like he's all in on this (as he generally is). Vastly more interested in this than the VFX action spectacles that have been the norm.

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

To me it looks like a movie full of drama and emotional tragedy/sadness. It feels like a real heavy movie and not a super hero movie...

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm resistant to the idea of a Joker origin but that genuinely looks really interesting.

I usually prefer not knowing who the Joker was beforehand and what transformed him but this looks really  good with an amazing cast. If they can make us sympathise with the Joker that would be quite a feat. I get the impression they are going for a "Gotham made Joker" vibe.

2 hours ago, divica said:

To me it looks like a movie full of drama and emotional tragedy/sadness. It feels like a real heavy movie and not a super hero movie...

There's no reason why the Joker has to be in a superhero movie - the character is essentially just a crazy person in a clown outfit.

Huh. I don't know what I expected when I heard this movie was going to exist (other than a reasonable confidence that it would be bad), but it sure as hell wasn't something that looks like that trailer. I'm suddenly very interested in this.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Huh. I don't know what I expected when I heard this movie was going to exist (other than a reasonable confidence that it would be bad), but it sure as hell wasn't something that looks like that trailer. I'm suddenly very interested in this.

I think I still like the idea I read a while back how it would have been awesome (yet impossible) if they hadn't told us this was a joker origin film and that was the reveal at the end of the film

I've been iffy about this project since I first heard about it. One the one hand, Joaquin Phoenix, who has been doing some amazing work the past several years (cf. The Master, Inherent Vice, You Were Never Really Here, etc.), is playing the Joker and it has an amazing supporting cast (De Niro (!), Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Brian Tyree Henry, et. al.).

On the other, it's directed by Todd Phillips, who's directed such gems as Road Trip, Old School and Starsky & Hutch (although, to be fair, War Dogs was surprisingly watchable), and is backed by Warner Bros., which hasn't put out a decent take on dark, gritty comic book material since Nolan finished up the Batman trilogy, and which has only had success in the DCEU with lighter, less-serious fare like WW and Aquaman (not that WW especially doesn't deal with serious issues, just that it's not tonally dark as a stylistic choice).

But that trailer...I'm all in now.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:14 PM, Ran said:

Looks better, as a piece of cinema, than anything DC has put out since Nolan. De Niro being a part of this makes the King of Comedy/Taxi Driver vibes a bit too on the nose, but Phoenix looks like he's all in on this (as he generally is). Vastly more interested in this than the VFX action spectacles that have been the norm.

To be quite honest this looks more interesting than anything comic book related, be it DC/Marvel/other that come out since ... the second Nolan Batman? 

I remember a bunch of people on here sayin Leto's Joker looked cool or interesting, and scoffing at the nothin, but im all on board with this. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

To be quite honest this looks more interesting than anything comic book related, be it DC/Marvel/other that come out since ... the second Nolan Batman? 

I think Logan would be the other thing I'd point out in the live-action space (Into the Spiderverse bears mentioning when considering animation), but yeah, I'm with you otherwise. I'm all Marvelled out, and while Wonder Woman was entertaining it wasn't exactly breaking out of the box.

Of course, the trailer may have shown us 90% of the good stuff that's in the movie. We'll have to wait and see!

It looked like a clown-based remake of Falling Down. I think Phoenix is an amazing actor, but I didn't see anything in there that made me want to see what came next. 

Posted (edited)

The girls really wanted to see it, so I took them to Shazam last night. They loved it. Me, not so much. It was better than I thought it would be though, so it's got that going for it. 

Edited by JGP

7 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

"New" as in original, or "new" as in another comic character? Hm.

Curious. It kind of makes sense to avoid confusion by recasting some people but not others in a reboot, but Deadshot is obviously mega-key to the Squad. If it's genuinely a late character swapout rather than a misreporting, then it presumably has to be someone not-that-dissimilar, and looking through the Squad member lists it seems like the only character who could concievably fill that role is Deathstroke, who seems to have been in the team in one recent iteration. So I'd guess either him or a new character entirely which would just be odd in something like this.

And let's be fair, Idris as Deathstroke would fucking rock, even though (1) it seems like Deathstroke is becoming almost overexposed these days and (2) him being a Suicide Squad leader feels weird.

I'm a bit baffled regarding Elba's signing onto this. Seems to me that a guy of his stature wouldn't sign onto a movie without a specific character in mind, or a script involved. I suppose he is simply receiving a large paycheck - but he could do that in any number of movies. He seemed utterly disinterested in his role as Heimdall, so it just strikes me as a bit odd that he's signed onto a 're-imagining' of an absolutely dreadful movie that doesn't seem to have any direction yet (other than Gunn, um, directing).

Then again, as I was typing this I recalled that stunningly stupid Dark Tower movie. Maybe Elba just wants a new yacht. 

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

He seemed utterly disinterested in his role as Heimdall,

I think he had a phase where he was really up his own arse after he played Mandela, but has since, judging by subsequent roles, recovered his equilibrium and realised that you can be taken seriously as an actor while appearing in silly movies that people enjoy. I mean, his next three scheduled film roles are this, Hobbes and Shaw, and Cats.
I mean, I'm sure money has to do with it too, but he's definitely taking himself less seriously than he was six years ago.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Curious. It kind of makes sense to avoid confusion by recasting some people but not others in a reboot, but Deadshot is obviously mega-key to the Squad. If it's genuinely a late character swapout rather than a misreporting, then it presumably has to be someone not-that-dissimilar, and looking through the Squad member lists it seems like the only character who could concievably fill that role is Deathstroke, who seems to have been in the team in one recent iteration. So I'd guess either him or a new character entirely which would just be odd in something like this.

Deathstroke for Deadshot is only going to confuse audiences, particularly with Elba for Smith. The average audience member is going to be confused about whether this is still Deadshot and whether they changed his name for some reason.

The other obvious option is Bronze Tiger, but that's a 100% martial arts role. Is Elba up to doing that?