Jump to content
The BlackBear

DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

Recommended Posts

Cavill is playing coy on social media. This could be a game of chicken. WB has shown no signs of committing to the character of Superman -- with the litany of DC films rumored to be in various stages of development, we've gotten no news that Superman is one. Cavill could just be tired of being strung along. This "halfway out the door" stuff could be his way of drumming up internet fervor, forcing WB's hand.

That said, I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Marvel Studios nabbed him and put him in a movie as bearded Captain Britain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't care that much one way or another. I mean, I've defended Cavill as Superman on here before (I think), and I think he's a decent enough actor for it - Mission Impossible was great. But I just have no faith that anything good is going to come of it either way. 

Option 1. It's a bargaining tactic. Cavill stays and they make another Justice League film, or some other film, and it's probably crap.

Option 2. Cavill leaves, and they carry on making shite films. 

 

They're making such hard work out of something that should be so easy. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are three of the most definitive comic book characters of all time. Just make simple films that showcase the characters. Out of five films released so far, only Wonder Woman was any good. And that's because it actually had a likeable lead. What's the point in doing a Superman movie so dark that nobody actually likes the character?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Cavill is playing coy on social media. This could be a game of chicken. WB has shown no signs of committing to the character of Superman -- with the litany of DC films rumored to be in various stages of development, we've gotten no news that Superman is one. Cavill could just be tired of being strung along. This "halfway out the door" stuff could be his way of drumming up internet fervor, forcing WB's hand.

That said, I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Marvel Studios nabbed him and put him in a movie as bearded Captain Britain.

That would be hilarious. It would be an added insult in the sense it would probably be successful too.

If I was Cavill I wouldn't be too interested in returning unless they told him there was a decent director attached to a solo film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apolgies if this is up somewhere else:

EW have an exclusive image from (Teen)Titans, and holy god does it look terrible, like up there with Inhumans terrible. I don;t have a horse in this fight, having never seen the cartoons, but I can see fans being pretty upset.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/13/dc-universe-titans-unite-exclusive-photo/

Image

Edited by The EnglishBear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tod Phillips has released a picture of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, or more accurately the man who will become the Joker: Arthur.

Not much here, I had kind of forgotten they were making this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Tod Phillips has released a picture of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, or more accurately the man who will become the Joker: Arthur.

Not much here, I had kind of forgotten they were making this.

I don’t get it... that’s just a picture of Joaquin with long hair. :dunno: 

How in the ever living $&@# does an entire company of people who make more money than I could ever dream of screw up something so simple?!!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhom said:

How in the ever living $&@# does an entire company of people who make more money than I could ever dream of screw up something so simple?!!?


I don't like the idea of a definite Joker origin story, but in so far as they're doing one, I'm not really sure what the problem is here? He's supposed to be an ordinary bloke before he goes mental.

I hope they at least have the sense to call it One Bad Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure phoenix will do a good job but I've always preferred the cartoon/dark knight take of him having multiple origins but not knowing which/if any are true. They probably did it in the comics too. Actually a film with several origins in it would have me more interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm sure phoenix will do a good job but I've always preferred the cartoon/dark knight take of him having multiple origins but not knowing which/if any are true. They probably did it in the comics too. Actually a film with several origins in it would have me more interested.

They kinda did that in The Dark Knight, with all the stories about 'Do you wanna know how I got these scars?'.  Not exactly an 'origin story', but something that kind of left you questioning and showed off how crazy he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, aceluby said:

They kinda did that in The Dark Knight, with all the stories about 'Do you wanna know how I got these scars?'.  Not exactly an 'origin story', but something that kind of left you questioning and showed off how crazy he was.

That's one of the ones I mentioned. They also did it in one of the animated episodes. I just like the idea that someone as messed up as the Joker can't possibly have a simple "this one thing went wrong" origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this where we come to pitch movie ideas? I got it. I figured Superman out. You hire a handsome, young American man (like Cavill), and you really promote his Boyscout sensibilities. People say that won't fly in today's world, but I think that's exactly the point. Superman loves truth, justice, and the American way--he loves police, soldiers, probably Fox News, right? He can be the epitome of the right wing do-gooder (who never existed until he came along). He can go into poor neighborhoods populated by minorities, and ATTACK drugs and bust all the drug dealers. But this can all be viewed through the lens and sensibility of the New Jim Crow. He thinks he's doing good things, but he's actually really hurting people. Of course, he'll have to have a paradigm shift, and the big bad could be the Metropolis police force. Once he takes them out, we're wide open for Braniac. Or Doomsday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe there are people in here calling Cavill a good actor. Have we really sunk so low?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

He’s English.

 

:P

I knew that! I should have phrased better: you hire what appears as a young, idealized American man. You know, white, square jawed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always preferred Marvel, but I never understood the tribalism that causes people to attack/defend their favorite comic book brand.... I really want DC to make good movies, and I really dug the Christopher Nolan series.... and I thought Wonder Woman was excellent... 

That said, whoever is at the helm of their movie universe seems like they're making this up as they go along... The writing is wrought with cliches and platitudes... Justice league seemed like a desperate attempt to answer the Avengers franchise, with absolutely no set-up of most of the characters... BvS was terrible.... Suicide Squad was worse... I like jason momoa, so maybe I'll check out Aqua Man.... but I have no desire to see this Joker flick...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 12:03 AM, Martini Sigil said:

I always preferred Marvel, but I never understood the tribalism that causes people to attack/defend their favorite comic book brand.... I really want DC to make good movies, and I really dug the Christopher Nolan series.... and I thought Wonder Woman was excellent... 

That said, whoever is at the helm of their movie universe seems like they're making this up as they go along... The writing is wrought with cliches and platitudes... Justice league seemed like a desperate attempt to answer the Avengers franchise, with absolutely no set-up of most of the characters... BvS was terrible.... Suicide Squad was worse... I like jason momoa, so maybe I'll check out Aqua Man.... but I have no desire to see this Joker flick...

I feel the marvel Vs DC thing was a taster for what the internet would bring. It was a thing pre internet which probably required a lot more effort to actually vocalise their bizarre tribalism. Guess it happens between sports teams too.

I'm curious about aquaman but the lack of promotion so far and the dead slot of Xmas as a release has me thinking Warners has very little faith in it. I was talking with a comic store owner and he said that Marvel's promotion work is so much more aggressive and effective eg people will know exactly when Captain Marvel comes out and will be excited to see it. They already seem ahead of aquaman in that sense and their film releases much later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Very happy with Winstead getting the part particularly after her performance in "Fargo". I don't know the other actor but I can't question the casting so far for this. I just hope it's not going to be an all female "suicide squad". Any word on a villain? Hopefully it won't be CGI . There's plenty of street level villainesses they could use eg Talia Al ghul, Cheshire and lady Shiva from the comics too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, red snow said:

Very happy with Winstead getting the part particularly after her performance in "Fargo". I don't know the other actor but I can't question the casting so far for this. I just hope it's not going to be an all female "suicide squad". Any word on a villain? Hopefully it won't be CGI . There's plenty of street level villainesses they could use eg Talia Al ghul, Cheshire and lady Shiva from the comics too.

Isn't Harley Quinn the villain? She's not a member of the team, I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Isn't Harley Quinn the villain? She's not a member of the team, I thought.



I am kind of curious about how they're actually going to fit Harley in - she's certainly not a good fit to be on the team, but she's unlikely to make a good villain even if DC/WB wanted to go that route (which doesn't seem especially likely since her being in it is a fairly obvious marketing ploy to set up a less-known franchise with one of their best-known characters). I suspect 'uneasy ally' status.

I'd like to see some long-term planning, use Cheshire here and save Lady Shiva and Talia for later. If you use the big guns of these clandestine ops right out the gate you've got nothing to build to with future films (and that's not just likely to be Birds of Prey- spywork is a huge area of the DC lore to exploit, and it's one of the few areas where Marvel have been quite weak in using their own lore in the same areas which can only be of benefit to DC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×