Jump to content
The BlackBear

DCEU: Suicidal Insanity

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:


You say that, but Marvel gave Winter Soldier to a pair of guys who's best known film until then had been You, Me and Dupree, and handed the keys to Thor to Taika Watiti.

Heck, even DC have got Cathy Yan to do Gotham City Sirens.


Fuck yes.

Marvel have took more risks although this was tempered by the fact they adhered to a formula. Although the better films have been the ones that  diverge from the formula most eg winter soldier and Ragnarok. Gunn himself was a risk especially with characters that weren't even popular with in the comics. Dr strange was a bit meh but that's possibly because the director wasn't taking a massive leap from his usual work.

I still wonder how many of these Harley Quinn films will see the light of day. It feels like batgirl was a sure thing for years and then faded away. A bit like the Flash, Cyborg and green lantern films. It's a shame as I'd rather see the variety from the above over Gotham city sirens, birds of prey and suicide squad which are fairly similar projects. Suicide squad must have been profitable for it to be the type of film most emulated. You'd think they'd be chasing up wonder woman like projects but the only aspect I can see there is in the all female teams of sirens and birds which I fear is somewhat oversimplifying why Wonder Woman worked. But I'm maybe being cynical and the writers/directors have exciting screenplays and ideas for these films and that's what sold them over characters who have powers and don't hang out on Gotham rooftops. It's why I hope aquaman is at least decent otherwise I fear DC films will only be based on Gotham vigilantes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

4 posts in only ten minutes?

You're a madman I tell you! A madman!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Prime recruiting material for Suicide Squad.

The devil makes work for idle hands. That and my alarm clock went off on a day where it wasn't required for another 2 hours :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd argue the Justice league, prior to MCU making us like the individual heroes consists of far more iconic heroes than the Avengers. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are arguably the most iconic superheroes out there. I'd say there's only Spider-man and possibly Wolverine who could be considered in the same league. The Flash and Aquaman are no slouches either and I'd have put them on par with Iron Man and Captain America prior to the MCU catapulting the IP of IM, Cap and Thor. Basically DC had to go out of their way to make divisive/terrible films featuring Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. That the films featuring them together underperformed is shocking. A former Marvel EIC was quoted as saying failing to make a hit film with Superman and Batman is like being a porn star who can't get it up. A crude but apt comparison.

Agreed. 

I had my angsty phase when Marvel really appealed, and I was an X-men and Captain America fan more or less as long as I was into the medium, but DC always resonated more with me. I watched Justice League again just last night, and it's difficult to reconcile how fucking bad it is. And it's not just plot/storytelling. The characterization was more than a little off key, abysmal in some cases [Bruce and Barry in particular, and to some extent Arthur. Diana was the only exception] and, the sheer volume of the CGI nearly negated the point of having CGI FX At. ALL. There was so much of it, that clearly the budget was blown and/or it had to be farmed out to meet deadline, so continuity and quality both bottomed out. I mean, fuck, Marvel is much better at mixing CGI and live action even, which is ridiculous given it's pretty much movie making 101 and with the budgets these movies are playing with. 

I know I'm getting sour grapes here, but it's just unbelievable that DC/WB are cocking this up so badly. They tried to play catch up on the double and face planted so hard their eyes burst and eardrums collapsed or some shit.      

Edited by JEORDHl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, red snow said:

I still wonder how many of these Harley Quinn films will see the light of day. It feels like batgirl was a sure thing for years and then faded away. A bit like the Flash, Cyborg and green lantern films. It's a shame as I'd rather see the variety from the above over Gotham city sirens, birds of prey and suicide squad which are fairly similar projects. Suicide squad must have been profitable for it to be the type of film most emulated. You'd think they'd be chasing up wonder woman like projects but the only aspect I can see there is in the all female teams of sirens and birds which I fear is somewhat oversimplifying why Wonder Woman worked. But I'm maybe being cynical and the writers/directors have exciting screenplays and ideas for these films and that's what sold them over characters who have powers and don't hang out on Gotham rooftops. It's why I hope aquaman is at least decent otherwise I fear DC films will only be based on Gotham vigilantes.

As I understood it at the time, Robbie blew a few execs away with her Birds of Prey pitch, which was before or around [iirc] the same time SS hit the theaters. 

Though it improved marginally after the extended trailer, I'm still not holding out hope for Aquaman. And Shazam looks like complete ass lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

As I understood it at the time, Robbie blew a few execs away with her Birds of Prey pitch, which was before or around [iirc] the same time SS hit the theaters. 

Though it improved marginally after the extended trailer, I'm still not holding out hope for Aquaman. And Shazam looks like complete ass lol

Shazam seems to be undecided as to whether it wants to be a "home-alone" superhero comedy or try and appeal to wider audiences. The lack of "the Rock" is worrying too. Also they seem coy as to whether Shazam is part of the DC universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the DCEU never catch a break? Aquaman is looking like a solid movie and was maybe regarded as having a clear run at making a good showing at the box office, with no real direct competition of any quality. And what happens? Possibly the best ever Transformers movie is going to be released in the same week with a major cross over of appeal in the target audiences. How did a potentially 90%+ movie arise from the ashes of a poorly to mediocrely reviewed franchise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. I think Aqua-man will do fine. If I've learnt anything over these past few years its that superhero movies can make a ton of cash no matter how bad they are, just add some hype and a big star and you are sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Can the DCEU never catch a break? Aquaman is looking like a solid movie and was maybe regarded as having a clear run at making a good showing at the box office, with no real direct competition of any quality. And what happens? Possibly the best ever Transformers movie is going to be released in the same week with a major cross over of appeal in the target audiences. How did a potentially 90%+ movie arise from the ashes of a poorly to mediocrely reviewed franchise?

In the uk it's up against spiderverse which seems to be getting the best reviews. I think bumblebee and aquaman will both suffer at the hands of badly received connected films.

 

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Lol. I think Aqua-man will do fine. If I've learnt anything over these past few years its that superhero movies can make a ton of cash no matter how bad they are, just add some hype and a big star and you are sorted.

He didn't save Justice league and that also starred wonder woman. So unless the current batman and superman are incredibly toxic i doubt having "guy from game of thrones/Stargate" will save.

All the reviews I've read suggest it's fun. Maybe a lower tier marvel film good but without the exceptional good will of the marvel brand.

Out of the 3 films bumblebee is most likely the one I'll skip. I've heard complaints of it basically being ET and i'm pretty confident that the G1 robots in the trailer is probably the same duration they'll get in the whole film eg it's just there to get nostalgia fans on board. Although if i have the time i will still try and support because it would be a shame for them to return to awful bay movies .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, red snow said:

He didn't save Justice league and that also starred wonder woman. So unless the current batman and superman are incredibly toxic i doubt having "guy from game of thrones/Stargate" will save.

Maybe, but when you see Venom outgrossing even Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad out grossing Winter Soldier then it can only make you depressed. 

BvS also did very well, despite being a pretty dire movie. The hype got it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe, but when you see Venom outgrossing even Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad out grossing Winter Soldier then it can only make you depressed. 

BvS also did very well, despite being a pretty dire movie. The hype got it through.

Venom is a strange one. Not the worst superhero film but I'm perplexed out how it did so well. It could be chinese market expanding all the time allowing mediocre films to become more successful each year? Eg if all those films had been released in a similar time frame their box offices could have been different?

And i do think suicide squad made viewers very, very skeptical of future DCU films in the sense that many people believe critics if the say a dc film is bad now. So it got away with it but made it much harder for the following films to succeed. To be honest my enjoyment of a dc film has gelled pretty well with critical consensus. So reviews of aquaman being dumb fun but lacking depth sounds about right to me (although reviews are having far too much fun with sea related puns)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, red snow said:

Venom is a strange one. Not the worst superhero film but I'm perplexed out how it did so well. It could be chinese market expanding all the time allowing mediocre films to become more successful each year? Eg if all those films had been released in a similar time frame their box offices could have been different?

And i do think suicide squad made viewers very, very skeptical of future DCU films in the sense that many people believe critics if the say a dc film is bad now. So it got away with it but made it much harder for the following films to succeed. To be honest my enjoyment of a dc film has gelled pretty well with critical consensus. So reviews of aquaman being dumb fun but lacking depth sounds about right to me (although reviews are having far too much fun with sea related puns)

The Chinese box office is now completely huge and so getting your movie into it can make or break how well you do. That might be part of it.

However I think these movies are surviving on the sheer popularity of their properties and marketing potential. Both Venom and SS are incredibly marketable, when you add in the Tom Hardy and Harley Quinn factors. I got the sense that the audiences were excited by the 'idea' of these movies rather than their qualities. 

Plus when you add in the translation factor for foreign audiences, its hard to know if their reference points are the same as an American one, do they even notice if something is bad in the same way when its subtitled or dubbed (something I have been guilty of when watching Chinese movies for instance). 

I kind of think that the rules of film making have been thrown out over the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

So is Brightburn a retcon of the Man of Steel?

Seemingly a "bad guy" superman story just without the name brand.  Surprised they can get away with ripping that much off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Seemingly a "bad guy" superman story just without the name brand.  Surprised they can get away with ripping that much off.

OR...is it the true prequel to BvS? That movie would suddenly make so much more sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bell was that?!!?  Superman reimagined as a horror movie?!!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Seemingly a "bad guy" superman story just without the name brand.  Surprised they can get away with ripping that much off.

It looks like they used the same sets even. Wonder if WB knew about this before giving Gunn a job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really strange this isn't it? It looks so much like it that yuou wonder they can get away with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Aquaman two days ago. The acting is far worse than in Marvel films, but it has that 90s Mortal Kombat film haminess that makes it fun. It's the Power Rangers/Indiana Jones/Jurassic Park film I always wanted to see.

Spoiler

With some Godzilla tossed in.

Lots of spectacle and special effects. I saw it in Imax without 3D and I was very happy I did. If id seen it with 3D my eyes would have probably gone to hell.

I would give it a 7/10, but I will give it an 8/10 instead.

Spoiler

Because no loved ones were stuffed into the fridge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×