What Artists Do You Truly Regret Never Getting To See?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I’m talking music, and specifically artists that there is no chance you will ever be able to see live, so the Led Zeppelins of the world don’t count. I’m listening to an interview with Mike Shinoda, who is one of the lead singers of Lincoln Park, and it got me thinking that I really regret never seeing the band live before Chester’s death. For me personally the number one answer has to be Prince, especially because I had several chances to do so, but never did. Other artists that leap out to me are Queen, Bowie, Hendrix and Nirvana. Obviously there are several more, but it would take hours if not days to list them all.

So who are the artists you wish you had seen, even if they died before you were born? Sharing them might introduce people to artists they’re unfamiliar with, which further extends their legacies. Have at it ladies and gentlemen.

You mean Linkin Park? I used to be a big fan as a teen. Was v sad to hear of Chester's death. 

I guess I've got to say Bowie. 

I'm not a huge, huge live music fan. I mean, I grew up in an area that just had nothing in the way of a venue for decent bands and would have to travel ages to see anything and then not be able to anyway because of terrible public transport so I never got a taste for properly getting into seeing live music. Shame really, because am a huge music fan and am pretty much listening to music all of the time. 

BUT. I think The Monks, who were an experimental garage rock band made up of American soldiers in Germany would have been fucking AWESOME and fun live. 

Couldnt find a lot of their videos live on YouTube. Don't think they were ever huge? 

This is my favourite of theres. Bloody RAW.

Like total PROTO-PUNK, in the mid 60s they were fierce, angry, political, funny and bonkers. So yeah, being in the crowd and watching these lads in the mid 60s might have been pretty spectacular. 

I agree with the OP; I’d have loved to have seen a Linkin Park show live. Theyy were one of the bands I went through phases of really liking when I was younger. 

I don’t know if this one counts, but Blink 182 in the most known line up of Tom, Mark and Travis. Obviously Blink is still a band, but I haven’t heard much of their stuff with the new line up, and it’s all the classic stuff like Always, I Miss You, Not Now etc that I loved. I actually watched them do some of the old tracks on YouTube with their current line up and it really didn’t impress me. No one else can do Tom’s parts quite like Tom did, imo.

Even more frustrating about this one is that I had a ticket to go to a Blink gig years ago and lost the damn thing!

One that was a near miss and is fortunate not to be added to this list was Oasis. I managed to see them in their last UK tour, right before they split up. Liam Gallagher really does just stand and sing in that famous pose of his, but you can’t take your eyes off the guy.

Sade, Curtis Mayfield, Jethro Tull, Bonethugs N Harmony, Jim Croce, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Queen, Bowie, Bob Segar, Joni Mitchel, Gil Scott Heron, Nina Simone, Anita Baker, Angela Winbush, Guns N Roses, Bob Marley and many others.

Even of these that may still be alive like Sade, I dont think ill ever get the opportunity to see them and for a few like Segar, they are well past their peak powers.

eta: Oh yeah gotta add Marley.

In similar spirit, George Carlin. I would have loved to see late 80's-2001 George. Brilliant, hysterical comedian -- I would only put a handful of current comedians near his tier of comedy and social insight.

For music, Zappa.

I had a chance to see Bo Diddley  many years ago but I had to work that weekend. I should have gone and called in sick for the next day but I wasn't that type of person. 

I think it would have to be Queen. I don't count any of the Queen+ line-ups as really being Queen. I did see Queen + Paul Rogers a few years ago, I enjoyed it but while Paul Rogers is a good musician in his own right he's no Freddie Mercury.

I've not done too badly in terms of seeing bands I like, out of the dozen bands I've apparently listened to most the only bands I've not seen live are Queen and David Bowie.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Man I would have loved to see Otis Redding 

Someone here has taste!

Not big on concerts(small intimate performances are another story), and can't regret not seeing an artist before my time, but two artists I can regret not seeing are Michael Jackson and Prince.

I'm sure this is just because I'm old but Lincoln Park, really? I do not remember them fondly. I probably wouldn't remember them at all if I didn't drive by the signs for the actual park in New Jersey every once in a while. 

For years I told myself I'd go see Dylan just to be able to say that I saw Dylan. I never did and it's not really a regret, but I would have loved to see actual guitar playing Dylan. As long as it wasn't during his christian rock phase. 

Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel played for the crowd at Occupy Wall Street and did couple other shows after going dark for like 12 years. I regret missing those. Live at Jittery Joes is great. crying baby and all. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:05 AM, RumHam said:

I'm sure this is just because I'm old but Lincoln Park, really? I do not remember them fondly. I probably wouldn't remember them at all if I didn't drive by the signs for the actual park in New Jersey every once in a while. 

I always hated them. Instant change of the station or a skip if they come on. 

Led Zeppelin are my favorite band so they would be my first pick.  Blind Melon are one of my favorites and I opted out of going to the show on 10-14-1995.  Shannon Hoon was found dead exactly one week later.  Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix would be the other must sees for me.  I never got to see Rush or Faith No More and they are favorites as well.

I was pretty much raised on classic rock radio, so basically all the greats would be on my list, but especially Hendrix and Zeppelin (in their prime). But more than any other would be the Grateful Dead. I was 12 when Jerry died and didn't become a deadhead until I was in high school. I've seen some of the more recent incarnations of the band, as well as the remaining members projects, with varying degrees of success (basically if Phil is there it's usually worth it, otherwise not so much). And obviously since almost all of the Dead's shows were recorded I've listened to many of them and have my own favorites and favorite eras. But to be able to see in person what the band was like in 1973, for example, would be something special. 

On 6/7/2018 at 7:04 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I’m talking music, and specifically artists that there is no chance you will ever be able to see live, so the Led Zeppelins of the world don’t count. I’m listening to an interview with Mike Shinoda, who is one of the lead singers of Lincoln Park, and it got me thinking that I really regret never seeing the band live before Chester’s death. For me personally the number one answer has to be Prince, especially because I had several chances to do so, but never did. Other artists that leap out to me are Queen, Bowie, Hendrix and Nirvana. Obviously there are several more, but it would take hours if not days to list them all.

So who are the artists you wish you had seen, even if they died before you were born? Sharing them might introduce people to artists they’re unfamiliar with, which further extends their legacies. Have at it ladies and gentlemen.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Jordan La Cabra said:

I don’t know if this one counts, but Blink 182 in the most known line up of Tom, Mark and Travis. Obviously Blink is still a band, but I haven’t heard much of their stuff with the new line up, and it’s all the classic stuff like Always, I Miss You, Not Now etc that I loved. I actually watched them do some of the old tracks on YouTube with their current line up and it really didn’t impress me. No one else can do Tom’s parts quite like Tom did, imo.

One that was a near miss and is fortunate not to be added to this list was Oasis. I managed to see them in their last UK tour, right before they split up. Liam Gallagher really does just stand and sing in that famous pose of his, but you can’t take your eyes off the guy.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:12 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

You mean Linkin Park? I used to be a big fan as a teen. Was v sad to hear of Chester's death. 

I guess I've got to say Bowie. 

Oh, some of them were mentioned here, so I'll basicaly nod in agreement. We can say any band of any time? So Linkin Park, yeah, me too. The original Blink 182 and also Oasis. And of course Queen and Bowie.

I'd have liked to see the Beatles, the original Fleetwood Mac, as well. Elton John since he is almost retired. The original Alphaville.

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I'd have liked to see the Beatles, the original Fleetwood Mac, as well. Elton John since he is almost retired. The original Alphaville.

Fleetwood Mac in the most known line up (Stevie, Lindsay, Christine, Mick and John) is another I’d have loved to have seen, in their prime. I think they do still tour with that line up minus Lindsay, but to have seen them in their heydey would have been a great experience - though those days were before my time!

Another one that springs to mind is the Talking Heads. I love the end of Stop Making Sense, during Crosseyed & Painless when they finally show the crowd and everyone is losing their minds, just going nuts. The energy in that room had to be off the charts. I would've loved to have been a part of one of those crowds.

Fortunately, I have had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne, way back in 2001, and it was one of the top concert experiences of my life. I'll be seeing him later this summer, too!

Archived