What Artists Do You Truly Regret Never Getting To See?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

18 minutes ago, matt b said:

Another one that springs to mind is the Talking Heads. I love the end of Stop Making Sense, during Crosseyed & Painless when they finally show the crowd and everyone is losing their minds, just going nuts. The energy in that room had to be off the charts. I would've loved to have been a part of one of those crowds.

Fortunately, I have had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne, way back in 2001, and it was one of the top concert experiences of my life. I'll be seeing him later this summer, too!

Oh my god - Talking Heads for me too tbh 

I'll add The Band, Black Sabbath, B-52s, Nirvana and ACDC, and Tina Turner dancing while Elton J croons Tiny Dancer in my head. 

Theres no end to this, bring on the holograms? Oh shoot that reminds me I wouldve enjoyed seeing Crazy, Sexy, Cool TLC.

I was born too early to even know about The Minutemen before D. Boon died (he died when I was 11. They've had a massive direct (and indirect, via a lot of other bands) influence on the band I love and the music I play. Would have loved to see them around the Double Nickels... era.

Also too young to have known about The Clash when they were in their prime (oh, for a time machine to take me to the London Calling tour), but Joe Strummer is definitely my number one regret about not catching live, because I did have an opportunity to see him. Back when I lived in northern Indiana, he played a show with the Mescaleros at the Cabaret Metro (I think) in Chicago that I knew about and could have certainly caught. I don't remember anymore why I didn't go. I'm sure I had some super-stupid reason that was essentially laziness (about driving) in disguise. It was even worse when I read a report on the show that listed all of the Clash songs he played, including "White Man (in Hammersmith Palais)", which is one of my all-time favorite songs. Joe Strummer was one of those artists who could simultaneously capture the fucked-upedness of the world and the great and beautiful potential of humanity all at once. 

So yeah, I really should have gone to that show, just to hear his voice once in person.

(The weird footnote to all of this is that D. Boon and Joe Strummer died 17 years apart on the same date.)

Fanny Kemble, Isadora Duncan, Sarah Bernhardt, Eleanora Duse and -- Edna St. Vincent Millay when she was very young, reading her poetry aloud.

Yah, I've been lucky.  I've seen live just about everyone I've wanted to see who has been living since I was about 18 and thinking of such things, except a buncha of dancers.  I missed too many of those, who were aging out about the time I arrived in a place I could attend their performances.

Archived